2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Sports up do

I wear a baseball style cap with a bun.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Braided double-wrapped L-finity, Amish braids if I’m doing something like rollercoasters (or if I ever go bungee jumping or skydiving).
    Last edited by Entangled; July 16th, 2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Clarification

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Ok, totally following this thread to see if I can find some more ideas but I need them! I'm very active and workout almost every day and also climb 3-4x a week. I've found that at my current length, a secure low bun for running works as long as it's jogging and not sprinting. But for other higher-impact and bouncy activities (high knees, sprinting, changing direction fast, any jumpy stuff), I haven't found anything that consistently works. I mean, I need something that can withstand some severe whiplash-type activity I think! Those simple head-twisting tests that people do in YT tutorial videos don't cut it.

Braids have been suggested a lot, but the trouble is my hair is thick and coarse and very slippery, which makes putting them in braids very time consuming and difficult (I'm also not very great at braiding my own hair). And if I manage to get my hair into a braid, it'll end up falling out anyway. Also, when braids are hanging down my body, they rub along my body (which I can't stand, too itchy), AND can whip around and slap me in the face/body depending on the activity. Pinning up braids hasn't worked for me due to the sheer weight and thickness of my braided hair, no pins or clips have been able to hold them up. Granted, I probably need more practice with pinning technique. Or I need 1000 pins.

Right now if I really need to, I'll settle with the ponytail and braided length. Sure, the ends still whip me in the face and rub on my body, but at least it's out of my face. It'll still come loose, but not to the point where I have to stop and re-do it. I really do hate this style though!
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
    Braided double-wrapped L-finity, Amish braids if I’m doing something like rollercoasters (or if I ever go bungee jumping or skydiving).
    These sound intriguing - what's a double-wrapped L-finity? And what are Amish braids?
    Virginia from Virginia. Climber / fitness junkie trying to figure out how to grow out my hair and be active inside and outside everyday!

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    These sound intriguing - what's a double-wrapped L-finity? And what are Amish braids?

Amish braids:
    From the hairstyle thesaurus: A braid weaving technique using gaps between braided sections to create anchor points. Great for physical activities.
    Hairstyle of the month thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=149723

I've never done an L-finity bun, double wrapped or not but here is the hairstyle of the month thread for it.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=139545

I am fairly certain that other threads on this subject exist and looking through old threads may give you more ideas.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HaMalka View Post
    Amish braids:
    From the hairstyle thesaurus: A braid weaving technique using gaps between braided sections to create anchor points. Great for physical activities.
    Hairstyle of the month thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=149723

I've never done an L-finity bun, double wrapped or not but here is the hairstyle of the month thread for it.
    https://forums.longhaircommunity.com...d.php?t=139545

I am fairly certain that other threads on this subject exist and looking through old threads may give you more ideas.
    Yeah I saw the thread for L-infinity, but wasn't sure what "double-wrapped" meant. I just tried this bun and it's impossible for my thickness/length. I have too much hair to wrap around my fingers/thumb, it all just slides off (my fingers/hands are small too). I think I'd need a bit more length too! I like the look of the bun though.

Amish braids would just be way too time consuming for me, I don't think I could afford that much time every time I work out.

Quote Originally Posted by gin View Post
    Ok, totally following this thread to see if I can find some more ideas but I need them! I'm very active and workout almost every day and also climb 3-4x a week. I've found that at my current length, a secure low bun for running works as long as it's jogging and not sprinting. But for other higher-impact and bouncy activities (high knees, sprinting, changing direction fast, any jumpy stuff), I haven't found anything that consistently works. I mean, I need something that can withstand some severe whiplash-type activity I think! Those simple head-twisting tests that people do in YT tutorial videos don't cut it.

Braids have been suggested a lot, but the trouble is my hair is thick and coarse and very slippery, which makes putting them in braids very time consuming and difficult (I'm also not very great at braiding my own hair). And if I manage to get my hair into a braid, it'll end up falling out anyway. Also, when braids are hanging down my body, they rub along my body (which I can't stand, too itchy), AND can whip around and slap me in the face/body depending on the activity. Pinning up braids hasn't worked for me due to the sheer weight and thickness of my braided hair, no pins or clips have been able to hold them up. Granted, I probably need more practice with pinning technique. Or I need 1000 pins.

Right now if I really need to, I'll settle with the ponytail and braided length. Sure, the ends still whip me in the face and rub on my body, but at least it's out of my face. It'll still come loose, but not to the point where I have to stop and re-do it. I really do hate this style though!
    Heidi braids. They stand up to Highland dance and jumping rope for me, and cartwheels and handstands. The braids are pinned flat along your head so the weight is distributed. Use something like the Good Hair Days pins. Or I bet hair taping would work well to hold it down, without pins digging into your head or able to fall out. (If you felt really ambitious, a crown braid would probably work well, too.) The good thing about this is that there's also no "knob" on the back of your head to interfere with situps or other things where your head is on the floor or against a wall, or to be a bump you have to get a bar over like if you were doing presses from behind your head or something.

I've also used a "tucked" French braid for dance (French braid your hair, tuck the length into the "pocket" under the braided part on your head), but I have to be careful how I construct and pin it and it doesn't work 100% of the time the way the Heidi braids do.

Finally, if I absolutely must have my hair in a bun for dance, I make a high ponytail, make two braids out of that, and make a bun with them wrapped around each other, very well pinned (like, insert a couple pins after every turn or two). This way the weight isn't supported on just one braid and is spread out more along the structure.
    Last edited by Kat; July 16th, 2019 at 09:17 PM.

Length
    16/28/33
    Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

Simple english braid out the back of a baseball cap for me

In the past I used to do a sort of french braid/gibson tuck combo by french braiding upside down up the back of my head and creating a pocket to tuck the braided length downwards into... It held pretty well with some pins through it but took too long to put up each time so in the end I got lazy and stopped!

Length
    N/BSL/?
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I've also used a "tucked" French braid for dance (French braid your hair, tuck the length into the "pocket" under the braided part on your head), but I have to be careful how I construct and pin it and it doesn't work 100% of the time the way the Heidi braids do.
    I did something similar, not for sports but when I wanted to hide the length. I would pull the whole braid back out the top of the french braid ( crochet hook helps ) and either clip a barret at the nape and have the now shorter tail hanging out or I would pull it through several times und tuck and pin the ends inside that pocket giving it the look of an elaborate braided bun

Length
    ?/TBL/CL?
    Type
    1a/1b/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by cheepcheep View Post
    Simple english braid out the back of a baseball cap for me

In the past I used to do a sort of french braid/gibson tuck combo by french braiding upside down up the back of my head and creating a pocket to tuck the braided length downwards into... It held pretty well with some pins through it but took too long to put up each time so in the end I got lazy and stopped!
    I wish I could wear a hat but my head and scalp get too way too hot and sweaty, but most annoyingly, ITCHY. It's why I can't really wear those protective sleep bonnets/covers either .