Page 102 of 878 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202602 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 8775

Thread: The Shampoo Bar Thread

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: The Shampoo Bar Thread

I just posted in the swap thread; some CV shampoo and soap sample bars that I would like to swap. I hope to get some others to try. Thanks!

Length
    14.5/31/?
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by bgarrison View Post
    this is good to know-- thanks for saying this. i live north of boston and i keep telling people my hair is so much nicer when i travel, but they think i'm nuts. i have a water filter on my shower head, but i don't think it makes the water softer, just removes chlorine etc? not sure , i need to check.

isn't there something i can add to my rinse water to make it "soft"?

i just ordered some shampoo bars from plh, because i wanted to try to coco free one. (i'm *very* excited, lol!)

thanks to all who answered my questions. seems like i'm on the same page. chromis, i too am trying to avoid parabens and phthalates (artificial scents are often phthalates i've read) and adore supporting small business, so health wise and ethics wise, poo bars seem like the perfect choice. I just hope my hair likes them!!
    Technically, you COULD rinse your hair with distilled water; but I imagine that would get expensive and wasteful of all those plastic bottles... Most people use a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse, and I used to before I switched to diluted lime juice (at Islandgrrl's prompting) and I like it better. Just for smell pleasantness reasons. If you dont like strong smells you definately won't like rinsing your head with vinegar.

ETA: I've been trying all the soap bars out and so far they moisturize about the same; none as much as the babassu marsh mallow (yet) and none as little as summer sunshine. Except lemon lavender; my hair was FURIOUS at me after that one. It's like it got angrier and angrier as the day went on..
    Last edited by Oskimosa; July 22nd, 2008 at 03:46 PM.

Length
    pixie/shldr/?

In continuing my quest to find what my "real" hair likes (as opposed to the blow dried/fried and dyed hair I usually wear), I ordered 3 CV bars (chamomile, nettle and herb garden).

Thanks to everyone for posting your reviews - it really helps newbies like me.

Length
    Nape/Waist/Waist
    Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Oh yes, Olive & Babassu is a god among poo bars. I am in lurve. We are BFFs.

I had to housesit for my parents Thursday - Saturday. While there I tried to do a molasses soak to darken my hair (yeesh, didn't work, left my hair ratty and crunchy to boot). I was having no luck COing with mom's Kirkland (Costco) condish (CONES) so I went to the store. I ended up buying Garnier Fructis for the FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE. Figured it was worth a shot, when else do I buy shampoo? Well, that kind of fixed the molasses problem, but my hair was kind of "meh" so I bunned it most of the time.

Finally, come Sunday and I'm home with my present from Ida (I love how my mailbox smells with this stuff in it!) I left my hair alone until last night (since I washed it like 4 times in 3 days).

Lathered up last night.....heaven. Thick, glorious, dense, luxurious lather. It's like comparing whipped cream to non-fat foam on your coffee. Olive & Babassu is the whipped cream of CV bars.

Did a vinegar rinse, followed by a squirt of condish in a bowl dumped over and rinsed. My hair felt insanely different while soaking wet.

Followed with my standard squirt of Giovanni Direct Leave in and only 4 (as opposed to my usual 8.) drops of coconut oil.

All dry this morning and I'm greeted by the softest, silkiest, shiniest, and waviest hair I've seen in months.

I want to elope with Olive & Babassu and have it's babies.

That is all.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Lathered up last night.....heaven. Thick, glorious, dense, luxurious lather. It's like comparing whipped cream to non-fat foam on your coffee. Olive & Babassu is the whipped cream of CV bars.
    Manderly, I hope you donīt mind, but I sent this quote to Ida, because I thought it was just too, too cool! And so true - Olive Babassu is da bomb! When I first tried it I thought it was awful, and now Iīm in love, just like you.

Maybe you could spare one of the soap babies for me?

Length
    chin/30.75/tb?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Calista View Post
    Manderly, I hope you donīt mind, but I sent this quote to Ida, because I thought it was just too, too cool! And so true - Olive Babassu is da bomb! When I first tried it I thought it was awful, and now Iīm in love, just like you.

Maybe you could spare one of the soap babies for me?
    That's so awesome that you did that! It was a really awesome quote.

I am personally loving the Extra Honey Beer and Egg bar at the moment. Anyone else feel the same?
    Lady Tiamat of the Dragon Horde in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Founding Member of the (Second Incarnation of the) Official Hair Idiots Club ~ "Goobering One Style At a Time".

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

Ok, so, now Olive & Babassu & Extra Honey, Beer & Egg go on my list. This is sheer torture-it's almost as bad when too many things work as if nothing worked... or something like that, anyway ... I really want to try the regular soap Honey Butter, so will wait until that is available to order anything else. But I used the Carrot, Milk & Honey today followed by ACV rinse, and a teeny bit of Kinky Curly Knot Today followed by Kinky Curly Curling Custard (love how natural KC products are), and I have terrific hair (even though it's thunderstorming!). I "think" the Babassu Marshmallow is more moisturizing and I love it, but this and the Rosemary Mint work almost equally as well. If this keeps up, I may never buy full bars-just rotate samples. I am hesitant to try the ones that people say are more drying, or are touted for oily hair, but I've had such great luck thus far I want to order, and order, and order...Oh-I've seen a great improvement in my scalp as well-not that it was bad, but since I started using henna, I've had some itchies and occasional bumps right after I apply & it lasts awhile. The itch stopped immediately ... good thing they're inexpensive, relatively speaking.

Does anyone think it's damaging to do the ACV rinse after every shampoo? I have been shampooing everyday, sometimes every other, since that's what my hair likes. These rinses are new to me, too, and I can't get over how great a substitute this is for heavy, slimy conditioners!

Length
    short/hip/term
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

manderly, you made me smile. See?

Lady Neoma, Defender of Creatures Great and Small

Length
    26?/Waist/Hip?
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by manderly View Post
    Oh yes, Olive & Babassu is a god among poo bars. I am in lurve. We are BFFs.

That is all.
    Is it strange that quotes like this make me reallyyy want to try it?

Length
    pixie/pixie/waist
    Type
    3a/3b/F/M/iii

Do the Chagrin Valley shampoo bars remove cones? I am a cone user (my hair loves 'em) but this shampoo bar concept is interesting to me. Hmmm!