• Then, wait a few days to allow dye release

42 29.79%
  • Ooops. I forgot why i picked 6

8 5.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: after henna wash

Default after henna wash

What do you do. And more importantly, why?

ETA: I set the poll so you can pick more than one choice
    Last edited by Um Enis; January 9th, 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: after henna wash

I find that my hair feels coarse after I henna. After a few CO washes it's soft as silk.

dreamed she was human... halo_tightens's Avatar
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I mostly just use conditioner to wash out the henna, but I do use a bit of shampoo and scritching on my scalp to minimize the "crazy orange sebum" phenomenon that I get for a few days afterward.

After that initial wash, I do try to go a few days before washing again, but I'm not worried about it if I decide to wash sooner.

Length
    chin/BSL/WL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

I use only water to wash out the henna. It works quite fine but always need a lot of water ;-). Then, wait a few days to allow dye release, sometimes is 24 hours if I must go out somewhere, sometimes 48hours if I have more free time and I can stay at home. After that I wash my hair like always, so every day

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    I find that my hair feels coarse after I henna. After a few CO washes it's soft as silk.
    I do too. That's why I posted this poll. I always water only or CO out the henna (depending on how crazy things are at the time) and then wait at least 48 hours before even getting my hair wet again. Then I return to Shampoo/ Condition as usual (1 or 2x a week). Maybe I'll try COing for a few washes (though I normally don't like CO). Though hennasooq suggested that some people have had great moisturizing results with shampoo bars, and I've been thinking to try that.

Length
    shldr/waist/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I CO my henna out because my hair needs moisture after a henna, and because henna is easy enough to rinse out without shampoo. I wait as long as I can to wash again because I get fading when I wash due to my porous ends.
    01/07/2010, now at waist length (30").
    I'm a work in progress.

Length
    BSL/waist/thigh

I used to CO wash to get the henna mud out, then wait a day or two to shampoo. Even with lots of conditioner and rinsing there was always some henna residue left, which made my hair feel dry until I washed it again.

Now I use conditioner to get most of the henna out, then wash with a shampoo bar and condition. My hair feels much nicer using this method, and I haven't noticed any difference in how the henna oxidizes.

Length
    thigh/apl/none
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

I use water only to rinse out the henna. Then I wait a day or two to s&c my hair.

"Only the shallow know themselves." -Oscar Wilde

Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I used to use CO to wash out the henna but tried water only and does the same job.Will then not wash hair for about 3 days to allow it to settle.My hair stays looking so clean and shiny after hennaing that I could go 4 or 5 days without washing it after that first henna but since it picks up smells from wherever Ive been I usually succumb by day 3.
    I have some henna(PP this time) on my head by the way ..only 5 and a half hours to go..groan LOL

Relentless Reenactor Fiferstone's Avatar
    Length
    18/38/40
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Since I've only used the LUSH stuff, I find I really have to use a 2-stage process: Mermaid soak, then slather on a ton of cheap coney conditioner (Tressemme) followed by shampoo. Then I wait at least a solid week to allow the dye to settle. I have to use a more aggressive method to get the LUSH stuff out owing to all the oil/butter in it, and I want to switch to regular henna because of the stronger dye and also because it will be less of a pain in the patoo to get out.
    Lady Marigold of the Far Plains in the Order of the Long Haired Knights