Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Quote Originally Posted by windyballoons View Post
    Yup! Us curlies do this a lot; I started this technique years ago when I read Teri Laflesh's book, with some tweaking I got great results, and use regular conditioner as my leave-in and main styling product when my hair is curly.

Most "leave-in" conditioners are just normal conditioners that have been watered down a bit and packaged seperately (often at a markup!), selling more product. If your hair is thick, frizzy, thirsty or curly, these leave-in products are probably too lightweight for you.

If regular conditioner works as a leave-in for you- go for it! Listen to your hair
    This is pretty much exactly the advice I got when I first looked into CGM.

I have been using regular conditioners as a leave-in ever since, no issues so far. I also struggle with finding a good conditioner that my hair enjoys and that I can use in big amounts, so I'm not too eager to try new products. :/ I tried some that lead to my hair feeling dry, and some that was just way too light.
    JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture is like 2-3x the price I'd be happy with, so if I can get away with more affordable option... though maybe one day!

Now I use SYOSS Curls & Waves Conditioner, I don't use it on my skin and I don't have any allergic response to any of it. Quaternium-87 and Polyimide-1's descriptions don't sound great but I don't really know enough about it. I used some safety of ingredients checker before and it seemed relatively ok?

Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Quaternium-87, Polyimide-1, Hydrolyzed keratin, Macadamia ternifolia seed oil, Panthenol, Isopropyl myristate, Citric acid, Distearoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate, Propylene glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, Parfum, Sodium methylparaben, Polyquarternium-37, Dicaprylyl carbonate, Linalool, Hexyl cinnamal, Lauryl glucoside, Benzyl salicylate, Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Geraniol
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    This is pretty much exactly the advice I got when I first looked into CGM.

Linalool, Hexyl cinnamal ... Benzyl salicylate, Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Geraniol
    These fragrances are common allergens/ irritants so they are arguably the 'worst' ingredients.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    These fragrances are common allergens/ irritants so they are arguably the 'worst' ingredients.
    Thank you for reading through it! If I experience no reaction at all, it should be fine for me personally, right? And since they are at the very end, it must be, hopefully, a rather small amount? :0
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Such interesting thoughts in this thread! How do you get all these good ideas, like about absorption or not-absorption... Something that clever never pops to my mind. I always rinse the conditioner out too well, because I'm afraid of greasiness. Must force me do this right next time.
    Last edited by Priska; Today at 05:21 AM.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

I use both regular and leave-in conditioner, but recently, I've been not rinsing the regular conditioner quite as throughly from my lengths so that it leaves a little slip, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I feel it makes my hair a little more slippery and soft.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    BSL/WAIST/HIP
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ETJ CURLS View Post
    I use both regular and leave-in conditioner, but recently, I've been not rinsing the regular conditioner quite as throughly from my lengths so that it leaves a little slip, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I feel it makes my hair a little more slippery and soft.
    I am trying to do this as well. I know conditioners always say 'Rinse thoroughly' on the instructions but I've got a feeling that my nice strong shower head might be blasting my hair a bit too vigorously. I've noticed a much better feel to my hair the few times I have had to wash and condition it using water manually tipped over it, not in the shower.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I use a conditioner bar. I rinse it out of my hair properly and then I rub my bar between my hands and apply a little bit to my hair, while squeezing the water from it.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Usually, no. It happens that I have a conditioner spray at home, and whenever I do, I use it occasionally.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc