Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Does anyone use conditioner as a leave-in?

Quote Originally Posted by windyballoons View Post
    Yup! Us curlies do this a lot; I started this technique years ago when I read Teri Laflesh's book, with some tweaking I got great results, and use regular conditioner as my leave-in and main styling product when my hair is curly.

Most "leave-in" conditioners are just normal conditioners that have been watered down a bit and packaged seperately (often at a markup!), selling more product. If your hair is thick, frizzy, thirsty or curly, these leave-in products are probably too lightweight for you.

If regular conditioner works as a leave-in for you- go for it! Listen to your hair
    This is pretty much exactly the advice I got when I first looked into CGM.

I have been using regular conditioners as a leave-in ever since, no issues so far. I also struggle with finding a good conditioner that my hair enjoys and that I can use in big amounts, so I'm not too eager to try new products. :/ I tried some that lead to my hair feeling dry, and some that was just way too light.
    JBCO leave-in by Shea Moisture is like 2-3x the price I'd be happy with, so if I can get away with more affordable option... though maybe one day!

Now I use SYOSS Curls & Waves Conditioner, I don't use it on my skin and I don't have any allergic response to any of it. Quaternium-87 and Polyimide-1's descriptions don't sound great but I don't really know enough about it. I used some safety of ingredients checker before and it seemed relatively ok?

Aqua, Cetearyl alcohol, Quaternium-87, Polyimide-1, Hydrolyzed keratin, Macadamia ternifolia seed oil, Panthenol, Isopropyl myristate, Citric acid, Distearoylethyl hydroxyethylmonium methosulfate, Propylene glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, Parfum, Sodium methylparaben, Polyquarternium-37, Dicaprylyl carbonate, Linalool, Hexyl cinnamal, Lauryl glucoside, Benzyl salicylate, Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Geraniol
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    This is pretty much exactly the advice I got when I first looked into CGM.

Linalool, Hexyl cinnamal ... Benzyl salicylate, Alpha-isomethyl ionone, Geraniol
    These fragrances are common allergens/ irritants so they are arguably the 'worst' ingredients.

Type
    3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    These fragrances are common allergens/ irritants so they are arguably the 'worst' ingredients.
    Thank you for reading through it! If I experience no reaction at all, it should be fine for me personally, right? And since they are at the very end, it must be, hopefully, a rather small amount? :0
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (curly)
    ears | shoulders | APL | SBL | waist (stretched)
    Prounouns: they/them only, please!

Such interesting thoughts in this thread! How do you get all these good ideas, like about absorption or not-absorption... Something that clever never pops to my mind. I always rinse the conditioner out too well, because I'm afraid of greasiness. Must force me do this right next time.
    Last edited by Priska; Today at 05:21 AM.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

I use both regular and leave-in conditioner, but recently, I've been not rinsing the regular conditioner quite as throughly from my lengths so that it leaves a little slip, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects. I feel it makes my hair a little more slippery and soft.
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE