Thread: The Baerreis thread

Crotchety Pastry GrowlingCupcake's Avatar
    Length
    15/21.5/???
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Default Re: The Baerreis thread

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Any wood that was originally finished with with oil should be re-oiled now and then. I seem to remember Furnival having oiling instructions in her shop, either in the listings or about section.
    I think there's also a wax coating on it. Would I still need to?
    Big chop - 18th August 2021
    SL/15 - CLB/17 - APL/21 - MBL/26 - WL/30 - HL/32 - BCL/36 - TBL/40 - CL/45
    Measuring unstretched because flexibility is dumb.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I took a look at my one Baerreis fork, and it feels waxed to me. Oil over wax won't adhere unless the wax has worn off. I checked their etsy shop, but they don't seem to say what materials they finish with. Carnauba wax is a really common finishing wax, I think Jetter uses it. If you think the Baerreis needs to be refinished, I'd go with a wax, but it is probably fine unless it is showing signs of wear.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    4/32/38
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Reviving this thread. I got a walnut Sea Bird back in 2021 and absolutely LOVE it. I use it in French twists most often because I ordered the tines a little shorter than I should have.

But I am THRILLED because a few days ago I was perusing their Etsy site and saw that Martha had posted a Tulipwood Ursula-which I have wanted for a very long time, but she no longer ordered the wood. In the listing she said it was one she found when she was cleaning the workshop, so it had never been officially finished.

I am so stinking excited for this fork!!! Calling it my early birthday present (my bday is in November)