Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: I just put some olive oil in my hair...

Length
    2/26/~30
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/iii

Default Re: I just put some olive oil in my hair...

Melisande, could you please tell more about EO? Which particular one gives what effect, ratios etc. I'm very interested to try but I know nothing about it.

Hair is like cat. You can't really tame it, you just have to care and enjoy.

Length
    12 in/16 in/24 in
    Type
    3a/M/C/i

I've also found that my hair can handle much more oil now than when I first experimented with using it. It also responds better now to EVOO than to coconut oil.

I haven't tried mixing the two, but love the idea of adding orange oil (neroli?) and might try that today, as I think I still have some neroli somewhere. If not, am off to Holland & Barratt later and will have a look for orange oil.

Length
    Nape/nape/BSL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i

When I lived next to the beach I would swim most days and I used to wet my hair and slather it with EVOO then wash it out when I came back, it did great things for my hair
    I don't live by the beach anymore (want to move back though) so I have not done this in at least 2 years
    Must get back into it!
    Lady Gylly, Scion of the Blessed Island in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    12 in/16 in/24 in
    Type
    3a/M/C/i

Gilly - as you mention it, am very interested in that. Am planning a holiday in July this year in a hot country (not something I normally do). Where I live in the UK, our summers are normally damp and cool, and so sun exposure isn't really a problem. My hair doesn't do well in heat and humidity (it's curly, coarse and a bit wild).

I was wondering what to do with it while we're away, during the day.

Would it be practical d'you think to smother it in EVOO, pin it up and then wash it out in the evening? Would I need to wear a hat, or would the EVOO alone be okay? Or would I need to add a hair sunscreen on top of the EVOO. Sorry if that sounds a bit dim, just not sure how best to protect my hair on that kind of holiday.

Length
    Chin/SL/Waist

Ahhh. So I just did an overnight oiling for my very, very dry and brittle under layer of hair (which keeps growing back like barb wire, no matter how many times I chop it off) and now it's softer... but for some reason the oil pulled out a lot of henna >_>; Is that common to happen with EVOO/argan & Castor oil? ._.

Length
    23/24/30
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/ii/iii

I like coconut oil, but I find my ends a little crunchy after awhile. My hair just absorbs it and I love the smell. But olive oil leaves my hair so soft, its heavier so it last longer in my hair. Olive oil is very easy to over-do, I have to be very careful with it or else I am a grease ball, I dont really like the smell of EVOO. I only use it when my hair is wet, and on my dry ends. Other than that I use coconut oil.

Length
    ShL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

I have recently begun using olive oil on my hair, and find it works beautifully, even with the bog-standard supermarket cooking stuff; t leaves my hair feeling much healthier and smoother than before. I generally find that a wash with a moisturising shampoo bar (I use Trichomania from Lush) and then a bit of conditioner on the ends and frizzy bits gives the best results with regards to washing it out.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    At BSL by my admittedly puny standards, and hopefully on my way to "official" BSL. Grow, hair, grow!

Length
    PIXIE/CHIN/BSL
    Type
    1b/F/M/i/ii

i use EVOO for deep conditioning when my hair needs it. and it does wonders. after 2 avocado treatments (w/ EVOO, honey and organic avocado oil) my hair feels and looks great. i will say though that it definitely takes a good wash to get all of that out of my hair. if i would leave straight EVOO on my hair over night, it would take at least a couple shampoos before all of it came out. i have fine natural hair that is in good condition.

Oh wow. I didn't know about the speciality of olive oil. It used to leave my hair greasy so easily but doesn't do it anymore. Maybe because my hair is now damaged and brittle enough because it's so long now, or because of changes in my hair care routine. I'm happy I found olive oil and this thread about olive oil (among other threads about same issue). My hair is so moisturized now and tangles opened.

Must also try olive oil - shampoo mix!
    Last edited by Priska; September 1st, 2024 at 02:17 PM.