Thread: Henna, cassia and grey

Length
    SL/BSL/Waist
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Henna, cassia and grey

Hi guys.
    I'm struggling lately with deciding what to do with my colour.
    My silvers are appearing quickly and at this rate I probably would need to do roots once a month.
    I like my salt and pepper but the rest of my hair is really dark and the transition to silver will be difficult with that obvious demarcation line.
    I have options: grow grey, keep doing henna or cassia on the roots only. I don't want to touch indigo any more.
    I'm searching for advice from people around same age (44) who keep coloring grays with henna and grow to longer lengths.
    Isn't the upkeep of roots bothering you? Do you plan to grow grey in the future? Any thoughts on my situation?
    Den som väntar på något gott väntar aldrig för länge.

Lady Sheala the Conjurer of the Empress Tree in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Default Re: Henna, cassia and grey

I stopped using henna when I was 45, but 6 years later my silvers still aren’t particularly noticeable, so I’m not a direct comparison, as I don’t have white roots. My natural colour is brown, but next to the henna it looked very ashy and dark grey. After a while though it looked like an intentional ombre, people kept asking if I had dyed the tips red.

One option might be to use henna gloss to see if that eases the transition, if you do want to grow it out, or change the ratios of henna and cassia to gradually fade it to a lighter colour that blends more easily. It depends whether a gloss would take on your silvers, and what you’re aiming for in the end.

I was worried that my hair would end up neon orange if I kept using henna when my hair was predominantly silver, and that was one of my reasons for stopping. Some parts of my hair weren’t taking the henna very well anymore either.