Thread: Hard water question

Question Hard water question

I am on a well and have hard water. Is it worth it to spend the coin to put in a water softener? I'm hesitant because this means, I now have to purchase bottled water because the softener adds sodium and I can not have that in my diet.
    I was at a family's cottage a couple of weeks ago, and they have a softener and oh my my! My hair was this gorgeous, bouncy, non-frizz whatsoever hair! I LOVED it!

Thank you

Learn more. Know less. foreveryours's Avatar
    Length
    ./72"/KNEE+
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hard water question

Hi there. Don't use shampoo bars or things containing natural soaps (based on carboxylic acids) if you have hard water. The scum with stick to your hair. When I had hard water in Prescott hyears ago, I got by with shampooing normally (shampoos, most of them anyway, sulfates, don't react with the Mg/Ca found in hard water) and then rinsing away any remaining Mg/Ca ions left by the shower water with distilled water. Your sebum contains carboxylic acids which like soap grabs hold of any magnesium it can find and doesn't let go. A gallon of distilled water lasted me 2 washes. I have "soft" water now but I hate it. It makes my skin feel slimy when wet and when it dries, its salt dries my skin and makes it itchy. Can't win.

ETA: you can use KCl (instead of NaCl) if you wish to avoid the sodium to regenerate the resin in your water treatment system but it may be a bit more expensive. A technical grade is fine. Buy it bye the ton and not in cute 40 pound bags at the big box stores
    Last edited by foreveryours; July 4th, 2024 at 10:33 AM.
    scalp > SL > MBL > TBL > FTL > KNEE > KNEE+

This is most helpful! Thank for that very well thought out response!

Length
    waist/TB/long

We have hard water too. I found that if I shook about 1/4 cup citric acid powder into a 48-ounce bottle of water and then poured that over my head after completely rinsing and turning the shower off, it helped my hair quite a lot.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I think you can buy water filters just for your shower head. That might be a good option.

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/HL/Class
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Spending your hair a good rinse with a gal distilled or purified water is also very helpful. I do it very often and I love it.
    This procedure helps me a lot, especially if I am at places where I can not influence or change the water quality. I also find it extremely helpful if the water is heavily chlorinated.
    Regards
    Fiorentina
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

We have hard water and I ends every wash with a chelating product frorm NightBlooming and every once in a while I do a proper treatment with it.

https://www.nightblooming.com/produc...crystal-rinse/

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights