Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silk bonnets: Natural or Synthetic?

Account Closed by Member Request

Default Silk bonnets: Natural or Synthetic?

Which do you think are more protective? I am trying to decide if ought to make my own out of some silky thrifted material or splurge on a 100% silk one online.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Silk bonnets: Natural or Synthetic?

I've made one from real silk and one from a synthetic polyester satin. I find that both protect my hair equally.

The ups and downs: Real silk is a bit more cool in the summer, but can't be washed with regular detergent. Quite expensive!

Polyester or similar materials are a bit warmer, but can be washed with the rest of the laundry. A lot cheaper.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I've made one from real silk and one from a synthetic polyester satin. I find that both protect my hair equally.

The ups and downs: Real silk is a bit more cool in the summer, but can't be washed with regular detergent. Quite expensive!

Polyester or similar materials are a bit warmer, but can be washed with the rest of the laundry. A lot cheaper.
    Yes, it seems like my natural bonnets have worn out a lot sooner than poly too unfortunately

Length
    Buzz/thigh/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/iii

Cotton satin is much cooler than polyester satin jsyk! I didn't know it existed until pretty recently.

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I use synthetic material - I actually use a synthetic satin pillowcase, inside out so the slippery part is on my hair, and tie it with a hair tie. It’s cheap and easy to find. But overall, anything is better than nothing, so I think there’s nothing wrong with the synthetic if it’s easier for you to find and care for.

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by NymphSpirit View Post
    Cotton satin is much cooler than polyester satin jsyk! I didn't know it existed until pretty recently.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cotton worse material for your hair? So, if to choose between cotton satin and polyester satin, shouldn't the polyester be the better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyn127 View Post
    I use synthetic material - I actually use a synthetic satin pillowcase, inside out so the slippery part is on my hair, and tie it with a hair tie. It’s cheap and easy to find. But overall, anything is better than nothing, so I think there’s nothing wrong with the synthetic if it’s easier for you to find and care for.
    Another aspect of this question is that us vegans wouldn't want to use silk and therefore opts for other alternatives, the polyester satin for one.
    Last edited by Für immer; January 12th, 2024 at 03:27 PM.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Length
    Chin/HL/Term
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

Mine are synthetic; probably poly. I'm going hunting for cotton ones this weekend, though, because-

Quote Originally Posted by NymphSpirit View Post
    - Neither did I! I sometimes skip wearing mine in the summer because it can sometimes still be so hot at night and I am not the type of person to wash things seperately and in special detergent; this sounds like a great alternative!

Quote Originally Posted by Für immer View Post
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't cotton worse material for your hair? So, if to choose between cotton satin and polyester satin, shouldn't the polyester be the better choice?
    The way that satin is weaved is what creates that soft-on-one-side material. What the main difference would be between the two, I would think, would be breatheability and I've never been so excited to go on a fabric hunt.
    She's got oceans tucked away in her hair; poems swim under her skin.

Length
    waist/TB/long

Real silk will not cause static but polyester will. If you sew you could buy a silk blouse or shirt pretty cheaply at a thrift store, cut a big circle, Hem, and insert elastic. Voila! A silk bonnet.

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
    Mine are synthetic; probably poly. I'm going hunting for cotton ones this weekend, though, because-

- Neither did I! I sometimes skip wearing mine in the summer because it can sometimes still be so hot at night and I am not the type of person to wash things seperately and in special detergent; this sounds like a great alternative!

The way that satin is weaved is what creates that soft-on-one-side material. What the main difference would be between the two, I would think, would be breatheability and I've never been so excited to go on a fabric hunt.
    I find cotton satin to be way too ruff for my hair. Also drying. I don't even use cotton for my pillowcases anymore. I sew my own from polyester satin.

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Real silk will not cause static but polyester will. If you sew you could buy a silk blouse or shirt pretty cheaply at a thrift store, cut a big circle, Hem, and insert elastic. Voila! A silk bonnet.
    I don't agree. Polyester can for some peole cause static. Not everyone and not me. It's also worth to know that not all polyster satin is equal to each other.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    Bald/BCL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by TatsuOni View Post
    I find cotton satin to be way too ruff for my hair. Also drying. I don't even use cotton for my pillowcases anymore. I sew my own from polyester satin.

I don't agree. Polyester can for some peole cause static. Not everyone and not me. It's also worth to know that not all polyster satin is equal to each other.

This. My thinking exactly.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc