View Poll Results: Is English your first language?

Voters
1421. You may not vote on this poll
  • English is my first language

691 48.63%
  • English is not my first language

538 37.86%
  • I grew up bilingual with English and another language

90 6.33%
  • English is not my first language, but it is the one I use most often and in which I am most fluent

75 5.28%
  • My first language is cheese

27 1.90%
Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1151596061

Thread: Is English your first language?

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Is English your first language?

Quote Originally Posted by Fornarina View Post
    English is not my first language. My first language is German.

Just one question about the option: English is not my first language, but it is the one I use most often and in which I am most fluent
    Does that mean you have forgotten your mother tongue to a great part and end up to speak English more often and better than your first language? Or does that mean, English is not your first language, but the second language you use most often and that's why you are quite fluent in it - second to your mother tongue? Honestly, I can't imagine you forget about your first language because of English.
    This doesn't apply to me at all since English is my native language, but I have met people who pretty much exclusively use English in most or all of their daily lives - so much so that they now think in English as well. It's not that they've forgotten their native language, but are more familiar with current vocabulary in English than in their native language. They might find that they need to ask for clarification about current slang and terms in their native language since they've not been living in close contact with it as it's developed in that way.

I also can't specify that that's what that option means, but thought the extra context might be relevant to your question anyway.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    44/55/knie
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

@MusicalSpoons,
    thanks for the explanation. That makes sense to me. I hear if people have not been in Germany for years. Our tourist guide in South Africa told me, that I'm the first to notice that about her. It was the slang words, and sometimes she spoke a wrong Denglish.

Length
    Chin/BCL/CL

Missed this poll.

English isn't my native language, Swedish is.
    My second language when I was a child was Swedish sign language, but unfortunately I've forgotten almost all of it now due to lack of usage.
    So therefore I consider English to be my second language.
    To an extent I speak Finnish (studied a few years), though I certainly understand texts more rather than speech.
    Lady Moon of the forests of wonderland, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights
    🧜On instagram: yareach_lhc

Length
    22/40/47
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Whilst Swedish is my native language, I pretty much use English more now days. Most books I like is easier to find in English plus my sister in law is Filipino and even though she speak Swedish sometimes it is easier to speak in English.
    Pretty much only at work and with close friends I speak Swedish and even the I have to remind myself to speak Swedish as I pretty much no longer think in Swedish.
    Last edited by Noctifer; December 6th, 2023 at 02:21 AM.

104cm on we go. Where will it end? Maybe classic?

Growing out natural hair color, whilst dying the previous red parts