Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: The New - 2a F Support thread

Length
    BSL/TBL/CL
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: The New - 2a F Support thread

I have a question for y'all... What is your trimming strategy for maximum length retention? Do you guys tend to do regular micro trims, or do you put trimming off for extended periods of time? How about S&D?

Right now my hair is the longest it has ever been, and it has been 7 months since I have had a trim although I have been doing S&D for the last 3 months. With my 2a F hair, the ends get thin quickly even with using protective styles, hair oil and no heat. The ends are still decently soft but starting to feel more strawlike. Is this the reality of growing long 2a F hair? I have always waited 6+ month periods of time to go between trims, and my hair has never grown past WL. Do you think doing more frequent micro trims would help me grow my hair faster as a result of having 2a F hair type? Thanks!
    BSL (27") ---> WL (29") ---> HL (34") ---> TBL (37") ---> CL (41")

Secretly a Bald Dude AmaryllisRed's Avatar
    Length
    MBL/CBL/cheez
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by WitchoftheWood View Post
    I have a question for y'all... What is your trimming strategy for maximum length retention? Do you guys tend to do regular micro trims, or do you put trimming off for extended periods of time? How about S&D?

Right now my hair is the longest it has ever been, and it has been 7 months since I have had a trim although I have been doing S&D for the last 3 months. With my 2a F hair, the ends get thin quickly even with using protective styles, hair oil and no heat. The ends are still decently soft but starting to feel more strawlike. Is this the reality of growing long 2a F hair? I have always waited 6+ month periods of time to go between trims, and my hair has never grown past WL. Do you think doing more frequent micro trims would help me grow my hair faster as a result of having 2a F hair type? Thanks!
    I generally don't trim. I went from 2016 to 2021 without any trims, just S&D. My ends were uneven, but not strawlike. I will say, though, having had a professional cut just six months ago, my ends are quite healthy-looking. So maybe I didn't know what I was missing when I went so long without trims.
    Hair is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
    My not-usually-hair-related blog is at www.thecoffeelessmom.wordpress.com

Length
    15/40/tbd
    Type
    2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
    I think it was Andre Walker’s system that said 1c hair was coarse. I don’t think it’s a helpful classification!

In terms of saying that 1c hair has more volume, I think that is supposed to be in comparison to 1a or 1b.

Hair typing has its place but if it’s feeling too restrictive then maybe there’s another way to get advice on what works. It’s such an individual thing, what works for one person with fine wavy hair might not work for another.

I think many of us here dip in and out of various threads and pick up information as we go. I understand the desire to find somewhere to “belong”, because hopefully then the information will be more relevant. Personally, I try to keep an open mind, read just about everything here, and maybe try some new things out. If they don’t work for me, I move on. At the moment, the products and methods I use have been working for me, so I haven’t been experimenting with anything else.

Sometimes it’s a method that works, rather than a particular product. For example, and oil rinse (known as ROO on here, for rinse out oil) helps to keep my hair feeling soft, without weighing it down or making my hair stringy or linty.
    All this, exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by WitchoftheWood View Post

I have always trimmed once, maybe twice a year. I started doing s&d after joining LHC but only every few months. I don’t have a problem with length retention per se, though I starting seeing a big improvement in my ends once I began wearing my hair up in protective styles and stopped using a hot blowdryer!

Some folks prefer micro trimming but I don’t think that would work as well for me. Why don’t you give it a try and see how you feel?
    Lady Daybreak, keeper of the Stars & Sea ☽︎ artist, lover, general mystic

Length
    12"/12"/15"+
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I'm so excited to see all these new posts! Yay
    So I was beginning to give up on this thread and pulled it up today and WOW - it's like a party -Woot!
    Anyway, I want to thank everyone for setting me straight on the fineness/coarseness guidelines. It makes a lot of sense.. Thanks to all who gave tips and product recommendations. And a big thanks to everyone here for reviving the interest in this thread on our amazing hair type!
    Strawberryfine

"Sea Witch Tia Dalma of the Infamous Black Pearl"

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I think I've found my tribe!

I have bend-y hair that sometimes forms actual curls at the ends. But I usually brush it. I have really never considered not brushing it or using any wave-encouraging methods before. I actually only recently realized I was a 2 at all. But when I don't beat my poor hair into submission, that's what I am. And my hair is very fine. In addition, it is on the thin side. I keep saying I'll post a pic and I keep not doing it because every day it seems to look different and I always think "oh, this isn't representative of how it looks," LOL. I'll try to take one today.

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

So...I'm on both these threads but obviously I feel like this one is my home because I am so super-fine...not in a sekhseh way but...in a...holy cow your hair is so fine, fine way.

So I posted a pic in my album and I no longer think I'm a 1 anything, I think I might be a 2a or 2b. I have so much wave with just combing (no brushing).

Anyway, hope other slightly wavy fineys are around so we can discuss hair care...I am meanwhile gradually making my way through this long thread. There's so much great info in here. I am trying less cones not because I have anything against them, I love the slip, but if they're weighing me down then that's not doing me any favors.

Anyone feel free to chat...here I am...hanging out...being fine.

Length
    22/22/26
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

So...I'm on both these threads but obviously I feel like this one is my home because I am so super-fine...not in a sekhseh way but...in a...holy cow your hair is so fine, fine way.

So I posted a pic in my album and I no longer think I'm a 1 anything, I think I might be a 2a. I have so much wave with just combing (no brushing). Or at least it looks so wavy to me, by comparison to what I'm used to seeing.

Anyway, hope other slightly wavy fineys are around so we can discuss hair care...I am meanwhile gradually making my way through this long thread. There's so much great info in here. I am trying less cones not because I have anything against them, I love the slip, but if they're weighing me down then that's not doing me any favors.

Quote Originally Posted by WednesdayAddams View Post

So I posted a pic in my album and I no longer think I'm a 1 anything, I think I might be a 2a. I have so much wave with just combing (no brushing). Or at least it looks so wavy to me, by comparison to what I'm used to seeing.

Howdy, fellow 2a F'er! Have you found any answers to your questions? I have tried to go silicone&sulfate free once, but it wasn't really for me. Ended up with the worst tangles ever. So for now, I'm a silicone addict! My hair is thiiirsty, though. This weekend, I reapplied oil(w/silicone) several times a day as an experiment, and my hair is still not greasy... Starting to read this thread from the beginning, unless you have a summary? Maybe I'll jot one down as I go
    ✿✿✿ Last trim: 14/12/2023 ✿✿✿

Hi all! I believe I have 2A F hair. Very fine, very thin, dries a bit wavy but doesn't hold any kind of curl most of the time. Gets greasy within hours and is very dry at the end. Hoping this thread has some tips for me!

Length
    buzz/Waist/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I think this is my hair type