Thread: What makes a good hairtoy?

Length
    Buzz/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii/iii

Question What makes a good hairtoy?

What do you look for in your hair sticks, forks, etc.?

My father has gotten into woodworking and enjoys making handmade gifts, so I was thinking of asking him to make a few hairtoys for my birthday this year. I don't currently have many, though, so I'm not sure what to ask for! Are there any particular qualities (shape, length, thickness, etc.) that you've found hold more securely or look nicer in your hairstyles?

If this thread topic hasn't been done before, I'm happy to open it up to more general hairtoy likes/dislikes as well. How do you personally decide whether a hairtoy is worth owning?
    Buzz CL SL APL MBL WL HL TBL – Classic
    Last trim: 2024-05-09 • Henna: 2023-05-26

Length
    BSL/Waist/BSL
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: What makes a good hairtoy?

I made some wooden hairsticks and wear them daily, I found that the ones that are thicker in diameter (around 0.5 inch) hold buns better and I also sand them really smooth so they don't snag on my hair. I have a few hairsticks of different diameters (some thinner than 0.5 inch) that I rotate through.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Smoothness is really important. Some people have a preference for a pencil sharp tip, others like it more blunt. I like my stick thickness in the 3/8 to 1/2 inch range. For length, I prefer 1/2 to an inch sticking out either side to prevent the hair behind the stick from slipping off immediately if the stick moves a little in the bun.

For making forks, the key design element to keep in mind for the sanity of the person with the sandpaper, is making that space large enough to sand between without swearing. Functionally, I haven't found that the space between tines matters too much. Decorative tops are pretty, but easily too heavy, so if you aren't familiar with what your hair can hold, go with a smaller top.

Have fun thinking about design and don't hesitate to get in the shop with him, its fun!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I second everything that has already been said and add a head curve for forks. Without one, the fork generally tends to create too much tension in the place where the fork meets your scalp and pulls too much on certain tufts of hair. In some people, this causes headaches. When making hairtoys, I also tend to pay attention to the finish of the toy. Some finishes don't glide through hair easily, but rather snag it, and others need to be applied really often.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

If you're making a fork out of wood, be careful about what direction the grain is going and how thick the piece is. I gave a friend a two-prong hair fork I found on Etsy and the part where the prongs meet snapped the second time she wore it. The prongs were pretty thin, as was the top, so that's probably why.

Length
    chin/BSL/Floor
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by DweamGoiL View Post
    I second everything that has already been said and add a head curve for forks. Without one, the fork generally tends to create too much tension in the place where the fork meets your scalp and pulls too much on certain tufts of hair. In some people, this causes headaches.
    Seconding this. If it's a fork, having it curve gently to lay comfortably along the head is preferable. And sanding down any spots where hair could catch is important. One of my forks has sadly started to develop a split along one tine (kinda trying to splinter) that now catches my hair. I'll have to see if it can be sanded down or not.

I like pointy hair sticks but alas, my husband does not. I've accidentally poked him with one of mine a few times because it's so sharp.

Length
    24/47"/?
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I'd say smoothness and balance. If it's top heavy and prone to flipping upside down and falling out it gets really annoying to wear. Personally I do better with very slim sticks as they don't loosen my bun up while I insert. I adore the shape of mei fa sticks, thin, tapered at the end, and then reverse tapered as it continues toward the topper which makes it hang on in my hair even if the stick does end up upside down.

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

If your dad isn't too experienced yet, curved hair forks might be hard to do. Better start with some simple, straight hairsticks. Choose hardwood for smooth finish and durability. I think maple and walnut are cheap and good for hairsticks.