Thread: What Hair Toys Do You Think Are "Luxury"?

Length
    40/40/72
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Default What Hair Toys Do You Think Are "Luxury"?

We recently started watching the show "Psych" for the first time. In addition to liking the show, the character Detective Juliet O'Hara almost always is wearing some adorable hair jewelry, and yes, I certainly did notice that she's worn a couple of Ficcares.

Being relatively new to hair toys, I got very excited to look and see her wearing a couple, pleased as punch that I could identify them. (I think.)

What other hair accessory makers have you seen in the media? Which ones are considered to be luxury, or the high fashion and couture of the "hair accessory world"?

Which companies/craftsmen do you think *should* be on the list of highly desirable?

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: What Hair Toys Do You Think Are "Luxury"?

This is a great idea for a topic! And I'll bet there are many different opinions. My current favorite crafter is Furnival's Workshop on Etsy. All of her items are unique, quality adornments that look like they'll just last forever. Grah-Toe Studio, who is no longer in business, which makes mine all the more sentimental for me, and my Quattro forks are my absolute musts. I abuse the crap out of those, and they just keep doing their thang. I have a few ficcares, and while I love the look of them, they hold a little too tight for my taste. I'm sure that is a big part of me not finding the sweet spot of updo's when using them though.
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I also had to think of Furnivals and Quattro. The question is how you define luxurious. Expensive, high quality, something special, that sets the product apart from others? I also had to think of Furnivals and Quattro. I think my Quattro fork is definitely the most expensive piece I own and it's undoubtedly of very high quality. And the carvings of my new Furnivals fork are very unique and special. It really stands out from every other piece I own. As do my timberstone turnings sticks.

One thing I've been dreaming about is this clip by a german workshop called senza limiti
    https://senzalimiti.net/senzalimiti-...gory=111481386
    I don't know, maybe one day should I ever reach my ultimate goal length

That being said, there are a lot of workshops out there which offer great quality forks like maple burl or 60th street for example.

I think there is a thread here somewhere for hair toys spotted in movies/tv.

Length
    Bald/APL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Finda View Post

One thing I've been dreaming about is this clip by a german workshop called senza limiti

That being said, there are a lot of workshops out there which offer great quality forks like maple burl or 60th street for example.

I hadn't seen this store. What lovely products!
    08.1.2020-Bald
    “Her messy hair is a visible attribute of her stubborn spirit. As she shakes it free, she smiles knowing wild is her favorite color” (J. Iron Word)

Type
    1a/F/i

There used to be a thread, but it might've been back before the last big crash of the site.

Christina Yang on Grey's Anatomy season 1 and 2 is what finally got me into Ficcare's.

My friend's most impressive fourth ever braid on real hair a week after first learning, february-23.

Length
    APL/40/48
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ipickee View Post
    I hadn't seen this store. What lovely products!
    I have some of their more inexpensive silver plated stuff and that's great quality. Their style is also very distinctive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nini View Post
    There used to be a thread, but it might've been back before the last big crash of the site.

Christina Yang on Grey's Anatomy season 1 and 2 is what finally got me into Ficcare's.
    Tried to look for the thread but I think I just remembered bits of conversations about hair toys in movies/tv that popped up in various threads.

Length
    40/40/72
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

I also had to think of Furnivals and Quattro. The question is how you define luxurious. Expensive, high quality, something special, that sets the product apart from others? I also had to think of Furnivals and Quattro. I think my Quattro fork is definitely the most expensive piece I own and it's undoubtedly of very high quality. And the carvings of my new Furnivals fork are very unique and special. It really stands out from every other piece I own. As do my timberstone turnings sticks.

I saw both the thread about spotting them in shows and movies, and the thread on hair toys in the wild.
    Don't ask me how I found those. I'm terrible at technology, and I found them by dumb luck. I don't know if I have full search permissions yet, or if I'm simply not sure what question to ask. By referencing the show, I was only mentioning what inspired me to start the post. Sorry for the confusion.

Out of curiosity, I Googled a couple of high-end designer names. I was surprised to find that Fendi has hair accessories. lol!
    There are not too many designers that specifically make hair toys. I found two, though. Lalet of New York, and Dauphines of New York. (Guess where they're located.)

I haven't tried a Quattro yet. I have a friend that is addicted to TT and Senzalimiti. She has a custom one that I think is in the Vio style. It's set with a large aquamarine cabochon that is absolutely stunning. I love the senzalimitis, and want one very much.

My Timberstone Turnings are the nicest ones I have in my drawer now, each in their little velvet sleeve. They all have skulls and roses on them, and I love them. I've also heard good things about 60th Street.

Lalique combs 😁
    Of course they are not luxury, but works of art.
    Native American hair accessories in various styles, like silver and tourquoise or hand beaded. If you know some particular artist, please let me know.
    To me the best designs are the ones that function perfectly and don't distract from hair too much.

Length
    40/40/72
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclamen View Post
    Lalique combs ��
    Of course they are not luxury, but works of art.
    Exactly what I meant! lol The "status symbols" of the hair world.
    I had no idea that Lalique made combs! Those are gorgeous. Makes me wonder whether or not Cartier has dabbled in hair accessories.