Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wanting to start the curly girl method but so overwhelmed

Length
    13/45/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Wanting to start the curly girl method but so overwhelmed

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    That is basically what I do as well. And it works. I think the styling part is the biggest thing and almost the key factor in the whole thing.
    I don't really style my hair (and it's pretty much straight, not curly at all), but I use "squish to condish" because I find it helps the conditioner do it's job better. I've also introduced the technique to my BIL, who uses both sulfates and silicones. Just "squish to condish" and plopping - no product change - has made his hair go from almost 100% frizz to actually having a curl pattern. So, I agree, the technique is one of the most important parts!

Length
    16/26/50
    Type
    2b/M/ii

When I first looked into it I was shocked by how many products some youtubers use! Condition, leave it, mouse, gel... all layered on top of each other. All in the quest for the perfect curl. Admittedly some had amazing curls... but this level of product requirement is way outside of my comfort zone.

Different curl types may need different requirements and no two heads of hair are the same, I would expect a little fine tuning of the basic technique and product choice.
    Grow grow grow, where it stops no body knows.

Length
    CBL/WAIST/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie View Post
    When I first looked into it I was shocked by how many products some youtubers use! Condition, leave it, mouse, gel... all layered on top of each other. All in the quest for the perfect curl. Admittedly some had amazing curls... but this level of product requirement is way outside of my comfort zone.

Different curl types may need different requirements and no two heads of hair are the same, I would expect a little fine tuning of the basic technique and product choice.
    Maybe I'm weird but I couldn't stand that much stuff constantly in my hair even if it had the perfect waves. Sometimes mine ends up feeling a bit too producty from conditioner/leave ins alone I can't imagine always having styling product on top of that.

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Solovey View Post
    Maybe I'm weird but I couldn't stand that much stuff constantly in my hair even if it had the perfect waves. Sometimes mine ends up feeling a bit too producty from conditioner/leave ins alone I can't imagine always having styling product on top of that.
    I feel the same way. I need a solid lightweight gel or curl cream and I think that would be where I would leave it.
    CL~SL~APL~BSL~WL~HL~TBL~maybe CL
    Mini goals: BSL braid ~ WL braid ~ HL braid ~ Crown braid

Length
    19/31/50
    Type
    3b/M/i/ii

I have always used some type of curly product. As I’ve gotten older, my hair has gotten curlier. I considered trying the CGM when I noticed my hair’s dryness. I started incorporating things slowly.

It’s best to do your research to avoid buying a bunch of products that don’t end up working. If you introduce one new product at a time, you’ll know exactly which product is causing problems.