Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's stupid to not get trims for years?

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default It's stupid to not get trims for years?

I have read this title-sentence in a longhair Facebook group some weeks ago.
    Well... why?
    I didn't touch my hair since November 11th 2018. So it's 2,5 years now. I didn't even do S&D because my hair doesn't split. It never did. I have ZERO split hairs. And I did search.
    Is there any other reason why people believe you should get trims?
    Am I doing it wrong?
    I got my hair from chin to between waist and hip in these 2,5 years and my ends look still okay. A bit dry and you can see they are older, but they don't look awful and damaged and I oil them often so they look well moisturized.
    I don't understand why I shouldn't continue without trimming.
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    SL/WL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: It's stupid to not get trims for years?

If there's no need for you to get a trim, then you shouldn't. Trims are to make hair ends healthier, thicker... but if yours already are then there's no point.
    I guess people still believe hair will grow faster if you cut it
    SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL- MBL - WL - HL - TBL
    GOAL ACHIEVED: Gave up dye on April 24, 2016. Very last trim to get a full head of natural hair on May 30, 2019

Length
    BSL/CL/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I agree, no reason to get a trim if you don't want to. People usually have really wrong idea what it means for hair to be "healthy".

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    I agree, no reason to get a trim if you don't want to. People usually have really wrong idea what it means for hair to be "healthy".
    Yes... I think many people believe that only getting a 'fresh new haircut' every 4-6 weeks means having healthy hair...
    The longer my hair gets the more often people ask: And when do you plan to cut it?
    FINALLY THICK WL HAIR AFTER HAIR LOSS TRAGEDY!!! See here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUx624JRX84&t=2095s

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Wusel View Post
    I have read this title-sentence in a longhair Facebook group some weeks ago.
    There's yer problem right there

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I would say it's stupid to get unnecessary trims.

So for some people, whose hair is prone to splits even with the best hair care and ends up more damaged without trims, frequent trims are necessary. In their case it would be silly to ignore the needs of their hair in favour of some ideology.

For many people, though, hair is just fine left to its own thing with good hair care and protected ends. Then it's silly to cut off perfectly healthy hair just because they are told they should.

Edit: though 'my ends are uneven and it's driving me bonkers' is also a perfectly legitimate reason for someone to feel they *need* a trim. In that case it may be necessary to enjoy one's hair, and that's fine - although it is preferable they know that's what it is. Not 'oh my hemline is uneven so it must be damaged and split' and perpetuating hair ignorance.
    Last edited by MusicalSpoons; May 17th, 2021 at 08:46 AM.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    CBL/MTL/Knee
    Type
    1c/M/ii

I agree with MusicalSpoons. The belief that frequent trims are necessary might also stem from hairstylist propaganda (if we're feeling cynical) or the fact that shorter hair often requires frequent trims to keep its shape.

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I would say it's stupid to get unnecessary trims.

So for some people, whose hair is prone to splits even with the best hair care and ends up more damaged without trims, frequent trims are necessary. In their case it would be silly to ignore the needs of their hair in favour of some ideology.

For many people, though, hair is just fine left to its own thing with good hair care and protected ends. Then it's silly to cut off perfectly healthy hair just because they are told they should.

Edit: though 'my ends are uneven and it's driving me bonkers' is also a perfectly legitimate reason for someone to feel they *need* a trim. In that case it may be necessary to enjoy one's hair, and that's fine - although it is preferable they know that's what it is. Not 'oh my hemline is uneven so it must be damaged and split' and perpetuating hair ignorance.
    I do miss my straight and even hemline sometimes and am only slowly getting used to the fairytale ends look. But I just know that it's healthy hair still growing its own way, so, no problem to go another 2,5 years without a trim

Length
    chin/Waist/term
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    I agree with MusicalSpoons. The belief that frequent trims are necessary might also stem from hairstylist propaganda (if we're feeling cynical) or the fact that shorter hair often requires frequent trims to keep its shape.
    Yes, very true. New, fresh cut = healthy hair = hairstylist propaganda.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Chromis View Post
    There's yer problem right there
    Yep, always consider the source.

Anyway. We have done challenges with no trimming here for the past, oh, I don't know... couple years at least. Have you missed those? LOL No, all kidding aside; you just have to gauge it all by your own hair, and if it's not splitting and is generally OK, who even cares what people on FB say, anyway. Right? Right!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)