Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On Cones, Detangling, and Youtuber Torrin Paige

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Default On Cones, Detangling, and Youtuber Torrin Paige

I am coming here to report that I think I’ve just solved my wash-day detangling woes. I’m shocked actually. This will probably be a long post so I’m sorry, I just feel like ranting a little.

So, when I first started growing my hair I followed the usual advice and gave up traditional products except shampoo and conditioner. Honestly, I just use cheap drugstore shampoo and Conditioner, Tresemme or Pantene or sometimes Dove. Never thought it worth it to get anything more. Thus my shampoo usually has sulfates and my conditioner has cones but that’s never bothered me much and they are only on my hair once a week anyway. I don’t use any other products, just oils. At least that’s what I’ve always figured was best.

Now I’m at waist+ length and the past couple months especially I’ve been dealing with insane wash day tangles . Like I’ll wash my hair and air dry then it will be a rats nest and I have to work with it a lot to get it decently detangled to put it up for bed. I have been trying so hard to break the habit of ripping through tangles in damp hair but nothing was working. Even on non-wash days my hair gets crazy tangles but it’s usually slightly more manageable.

Lately, I’ve been into watching Torrin Paige on YouTube. I enjoy her videos; she has a genuine and sweet personality and she really seems to know a lot about hair. I don’t like that she uses heat tools for some of her styling videos but whatever, her hair is mid-thigh length and GORGEOUS so she obviously knows what works for her. Anyway, I was watching a video she did about a deep-conditioning treatment and she talked about how her post-wash routine was jojoba oil and a “coney serum” that helped with slip, shine, and easy detangling. Her reasoning was that while cones do cause buildup, it’s okay as long as you use either a clarifying shampoo or one with sulfates. I was interested because it seemed to provide benefits I need. But for a while I was still reluctant.

Today I decided I was going to do a full mid-week wash because I had some buildup on my hair and my scalp was itching and hurting. So I oiled up with olive and castor oil and I had the thought that while I was breaking routine I might as well try out a serum. If my hair hated it I could just wash it out again in 3 days. I knew I had an old bottle of Pantene serum from years ago which for some reason I used to use like it was a gel or something. (Idk- I didn’t know what a serum was and it said “frizz fighting”. ) Checked the ingredients and the third one was a cone so I thought I’d give it a try.

I washed my hair and let it dry until just damp, then put baby oil, my favorite sealing oil, on it as usual. Then I worked just a tiny bit of serum through my lengths. Started detangling and OMG - I could literally run a fine tooth comb through my hair without running into any major tangles or feeling anything break off, when normally even my huge, wide tooth detangling comb causes breakage unless I’m very,very careful.

Still waiting for the hair to fully air dry and then I’m going to braid or bun for sleep. I’ll definitely check how well it detangles in the morning but I think I’ve found the routine change that will banish my tangle problems on wash day at least. I’ll probably just keep using the serum I used today unless I find later that it weighs down my hair or something. I’d try the one Torrin recommended in her video, but it has coconut milk in it and the smell of coconut literally nauseates me so I think that’s a no from me.

My scalp still hurts randomly so idk what’s wrong but solving my tangle issues more than makes up for that. I’m quite happy with my unusual wash day, all considered.
    Last edited by Handel'sWig; April 21st, 2021 at 10:01 PM.

Length
    Chin/APL/WL
    Type
    1b/M/iii

Default Re: On Cones, Detangling, and Youtuber Torrin Paige

So happy that the serum worked for you!

I'm personally not against cones either. I did the entire no sulphates, no cones thing and it made my hair an awful, tangly mess. Even though my hair never really tangled before that. My hair is extremely prone to build-up, so I was hesitant to start using cones again. In all honesty, I almost decided to chop it all off back then. One evening, I impulsively ordered a bottle of Olaplex 7. They call it a 'bonding oil', but the first ingredient is a cone. And it truly saved my hair. I stick to using cones as a leave-in and occasionally clarify and ever since my hair is so much easier to manage. My regular shampoo doesn't have sulphates, but as long as I occasionally use a (dilated) shampoo with sls, my hair and scalp seem perfectly happy. I suppose it's a matter of finding the right balance .

Would love to know how your hair is behaving today!
    CL - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - WL - ??
    2 years dye-free!

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleLionne View Post
    So happy that the serum worked for you!

I'm personally not against cones either. I did the entire no sulphates, no cones thing and it made my hair an awful, tangly mess. Even though my hair never really tangled before that. My hair is extremely prone to build-up, so I was hesitant to start using cones again. In all honesty, I almost decided to chop it all off back then. One evening, I impulsively ordered a bottle of Olaplex 7. They call it a 'bonding oil', but the first ingredient is a cone. And it truly saved my hair. I stick to using cones as a leave-in and occasionally clarify and ever since my hair is so much easier to manage. My regular shampoo doesn't have sulphates, but as long as I occasionally use a (dilated) shampoo with sls, my hair and scalp seem perfectly happy. I suppose it's a matter of finding the right balance .

Would love to know how your hair is behaving today!
    Thank you! and thanks for sharing too. I’m glad you found the right balance of products for you too and didn’t chop it off. I’ve heard a bunch of stuff about Opalex but I was always skeptical because you can’t technically “repair” damage like split ends. I’m thrilled that it did what your hair needed!

As far as my hair today, all I have done is unbraid my sleep braid and rebraid my hair ( I’m not feeling well so I know I’ll be in bed a lot ) but it stayed relatively tangle-less especially at the crown where it normally gets knotted up after I take down a braid. My hair also feels SUPER soft all the way to the ends today, not sure if that’s the serum or the way I’ve been treating it with tons of oils lately. That’s awesome because I seem to have fixed the dryness at the ends. I do have a ton of frizz but it’s really humid today so that makes sense. Oh and my scalp quit hurting. :yay:

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I am an avid sulfate and silicone user, as well as using oils. I think they get a bad rap, I really support the idea of using what works for you, if that includes sulfates and cones, then do it. I don't personally use mineral oil because I think its too heavy for my hair but I'm glad it seems to be helping you! Have you tried other routines like ROO or CWC? CWC has been a gamechanger for me lately.

Length
    SL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Glad you found something that works for you. I use sulphates to keep scalp happy but am cone free. I used to use cones but then, a couple of years ago, out of the blue cones made my hair tangle horribly, it would stretch and snap very easily. Very bizarre. I just stick to oils/butters now and my hair is less tangled and feels stronger should a tangle appear.

Southwest/New England/Deep South/Appalachia
    Length
    42/42/42
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii

Yeah, there is no "right" or "wrong" besides what works for you. My own hair hates leave-ins, but enjoys (some) cones, which logically oughtn't to be the way things work. Eh well. Glad your hair is "behaving" ( :

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Eastbound&Down View Post
    I am an avid sulfate and silicone user, as well as using oils. I think they get a bad rap, I really support the idea of using what works for you, if that includes sulfates and cones, then do it. I don't personally use mineral oil because I think its too heavy for my hair but I'm glad it seems to be helping you! Have you tried other routines like ROO or CWC? CWC has been a gamechanger for me lately.
    I do CWC, started recently. I can’t say it’s made much of a difference to my hair, but I do it because I’ve been using a bunch of oils lately and conditioner really gets oil out.

Interesting that you say baby oil is too heavy for you. For me it’s always been super light, like it’s almost impossible to use too much. I’ve tried other sealing oils, like castor, almond and jojoba but I always go back to baby oil because it gives me the nicest feel.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned about haircare it’s that everyone’s hair is different Finding out what works takes a lot of experimentation and even breaking rules.

The journey continues Eastbound&Down's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/WL/Hip+
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    I do CWC, started recently. I can’t say it’s made much of a difference to my hair, but I do it because I’ve been using a bunch of oils lately and conditioner really gets oil out.

Interesting that you say baby oil is too heavy for you. For me it’s always been super light, like it’s almost impossible to use too much. I’ve tried other sealing oils, like castor, almond and jojoba but I always go back to baby oil because it gives me the nicest feel.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned about haircare it’s that everyone’s hair is different Finding out what works takes a lot of experimentation and even breaking rules.
    I like castor oil for heavy oil treatments, mixed with conditioner but I haven't gone out of the way to buy more since I ran out. I use almond, shea, and coconut before I wash, so 2-3 times a week and I find that those 3 together have a really good effect of my hair. If I don't oil before I wash and just do CWC, I notice a difference in how my hair feels, almost as soon as it is dry. I don't put any sealing oils on after I wash.
    CL(14")~SL(15")~APL(20")~BSL(24")~WL(27")~HL(30")~TBL(34")

Length
    ChinL/WL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Handel'sWig View Post
    I am coming here to report that I think I’ve just solved my wash-day detangling woes. I’m shocked actually. This will probably be a long post so I’m sorry, I just feel like ranting a little.

So, when I first started growing my hair I followed the usual advice and gave up traditional products except shampoo and conditioner. Honestly, I just use cheap drugstore shampoo and Conditioner, Tresemme or Pantene or sometimes Dove. Never thought it worth it to get anything more. Thus my shampoo usually has sulfates and my conditioner has cones but that’s never bothered me much and they are only on my hair once a week anyway. I don’t use any other products, just oils. At least that’s what I’ve always figured was best.

Now I’m at waist+ length and the past couple months especially I’ve been dealing with insane wash day tangles . Like I’ll wash my hair and air dry then it will be a rats nest and I have to work with it a lot to get it decently detangled to put it up for bed. I have been trying so hard to break the habit of ripping through tangles in damp hair but nothing was working. Even on non-wash days my hair gets crazy tangles but it’s usually slightly more manageable.

Lately, I’ve been into watching Torrin Paige on YouTube. I enjoy her videos; she has a genuine and sweet personality and she really seems to know a lot about hair. I don’t like that she uses heat tools for some of her styling videos but whatever, her hair is mid-thigh length and GORGEOUS so she obviously knows what works for her. Anyway, I was watching a video she did about a deep-conditioning treatment and she talked about how her post-wash routine was jojoba oil and a “coney serum” that helped with slip, shine, and easy detangling. Her reasoning was that while cones do cause buildup, it’s okay as long as you use either a clarifying shampoo or one with sulfates. I was interested because it seemed to provide benefits I need. But for a while I was still reluctant.

Today I decided I was going to do a full mid-week wash because I had some buildup on my hair and my scalp was itching and hurting. So I oiled up with olive and castor oil and I had the thought that while I was breaking routine I might as well try out a serum. If my hair hated it I could just wash it out again in 3 days. I knew I had an old bottle of Pantene serum from years ago which for some reason I used to use like it was a gel or something. (Idk- I didn’t know what a serum was and it said “frizz fighting”. ) Checked the ingredients and the third one was a cone so I thought I’d give it a try.

I washed my hair and let it dry until just damp, then put baby oil, my favorite sealing oil, on it as usual. Then I worked just a tiny bit of serum through my lengths. Started detangling and OMG - I could literally run a fine tooth comb through my hair without running into any major tangles or feeling anything break off, when normally even my huge, wide tooth detangling comb causes breakage unless I’m very,very careful.

Still waiting for the hair to fully air dry and then I’m going to braid or bun for sleep. I’ll definitely check how well it detangles in the morning but I think I’ve found the routine change that will banish my tangle problems on wash day at least. I’ll probably just keep using the serum I used today unless I find later that it weighs down my hair or something. I’d try the one Torrin recommended in her video, but it has coconut milk in it and the smell of coconut literally nauseates me so I think that’s a no from me.

My scalp still hurts randomly so idk what’s wrong but solving my tangle issues more than makes up for that. I’m quite happy with my unusual wash day, all considered.
    I'm glad the serum worked out for you! I can also rant about cones too! Thank you for sharing about Torrin Paige's Youtube channel. I will definitely check out her videos! Her hair length at mid-thigh length are my goals. I'm not really sue where I want my long-term goals to be either at mid-thigh length. Or, at ankle length. On my profile I put will grow to terminal length, and I don't know where that is. That can be anywhere. But ohhh, my hair loves cones, silicones, and sulfates! And, Torrin Paige was right about that if you use product with cones in it...it does a build-up on the hair, and if you use clarifying shampoo or shampoo with sulfates in it that will get rid of the build-up.

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

Thank you! If you haven’t seen her you should definitely check her out. She’s sweet and adorable and does all these awesome things with her hair. I love her.