Thread: Am I the only one that is creeped out by the R name/label?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Am I the only one that is creeped out by the R name/label?

I read this title and thought of the other r-word and thought, well it's offensive but I've never found it *creepy*

I don't know. I certainly understand why people might be, especially if they've had experiences with being objectified - and yeah, the whole damsel in distress and particularly a subsection of "admirers" overly liking the idea that having long hair is such a hardship and we have to suffer for its beauty (not that that's necessarily overtly related to the fairytale, but goes along with the damsel in distress idea).

However, I think a generation of children know it from Tangled, which from what I've seen of certain parts analysed is a much more modern and empowering retelling - it shows her escaping from an abusive parent and the relationship with the prince is much more on her own terms. I haven't watched it for a very long time but that's the overall feel I got from it even then, so if a generation of kids grow up with that version of Rapunzel as their frame of reference for calling someone the same name, that's very different from the traditional fairytale.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Buzz/Pixie/Happy
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Am I the only one that is creeped out by the R name/label?

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    I read this title and thought of the other r-word and thought, well it's offensive but I've never found it *creepy*
    Same, hahaha.

Jane, I totally understand where you're coming from! I never really thought about it until now, but it's definitely an issue with a certain group of people.
    I definitely agree with those who said it's fine coming from a kid, they're just being nice of course
    Just trying to get by