Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here! Ruined hair recently, trying to make it grow faster and healthier!

Default New here! Ruined hair recently, trying to make it grow faster and healthier!

Hello, This will be a long post, I apologize!

At age 15 I cut my hair to above shoulders. 9 years later it was finally to my ribs. Most of the growth was in the past 2 years. (I stopped dying or touching it for two years prior, switched to satin pillowcases then last year switched to silk) For the first time I was happy with my hair. It's medium-thick. Wasn't the best looking but hey, it was finally a length I liked.

3 weeks ago for some reason I thought thin would look better and also cut bangs! (one side not even to my chin..). I used a razor type technique to thin my hair. I now have half the hair I used to and very uneven. ended up cutting 3 inches off to even the ends out a little. Cried for a week! I hate it. I loved the thickness and having it covering me. Now I have a bunch of random short pieces all over my hair. Bangs look absolutely horrible. No idea why I even thought to cut it.. then again I told myself I'd never bleach it again and I did that, dyed, color oops and dyed twice within the past 6 months.

I looked on this forum for awhile and on youtube. I found out about rice water. Been doing that for the past 3 weeks. No growth. I will cut it down to once every week or two. I am keeping with it though since it makes my hair extremely soft and even after all the stuff I've done to it recently it now feels better than it has before that!

GOAL: Get it back to rib length (eventually hips) and then cut an inch off every once in awhile to start to even out all the random ends. Absolutely no bleaching. Maybe dyeing eventually but definitely going to the salon from now on. Or just use Overtone.

CHANGES:

My hair grows EXTREMELY slow. Usually less than 1/4" a month. However, last year in December I cut it just as short and it grew 3+ inches within 9 months! I am trying to figure out why. I lost 30 lbs and was eating healthier. Drinking more water. More protein. (I've slacked off these past 3 months though..). I was also on a different birth control but I had to stop it in June. So I will be going back to that diet and drinking even more water. I'm hoping it was that and not the birth control.. Because I in no way can go back on that one.

Right now I can't even measure my roots since I dyed it 3 weeks ago because there's only a tiny tiny amount of my roots, not even measurable

I am also getting satin flat sheet and fitted ****. Right now I have cotton and my hair does slip off my silk pillow cases a lot so I'm hoping this lessens breakage. I did buy a bonnet but I feel like its damaging my edges so I'm doing away with that. I've been putting my hair up in a bun with a hair stick for a few hours a day. Before this I never wore my hair up.

I did try Vitamin C, B 12, B Complex, MSM, Biotin but something is giving me a horrible rash so I have to stop all and then slowly test each one out to see which ones the problem. I even had to go to the hospital one day since I couldn't breathe after I took MSM, B Complex and Vitamin C one morning.

SUMMARY : Did a horrible job cutting and thinning my hair. Depressed over it. Hair grows extremely slow so going to be more careful with it and eat healthier (more protein & healthy fats, lots of water) and hope the length comes back in a year and the ends even out within 3.

Any advice let me know~

Also is Ketylo still in business? I bought a hair stick from them 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. On their site it says they mail within a week. I emailed them a few days ago but haven't gotten a response.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: New here! Ruined hair recently, trying to make it grow faster and healthier!

Well sorry about the thinning. Because my hair used to be crazy-thick, I've had it thinned a time or two. I hated it; made my hair look much more frizzy. I recommend trimming off a very small amount from the bottom every few months or you'll end up with extremely thin ends.

What you need most now is patience. Good luck and happy growing.

Length
    8 in./40 in/50 in
    Type
    1a/F/M/i

Default Re: New here! Ruined hair recently, trying to make it grow faster and healthier!

agree, patience. Wearing it up also helps with the Patience. There are many shoulder length up dos on YOUtUBE.
    Oldest LHC Member Currently holding the title: The Eldest
    Radical Believer in the Kingdom of God being here at hand.

Yes it's so frizzy! I actually like the look of thinner ends but not thinness starting this high up.. I'm thinking I'll cut an inch every year? More if my hair grows more than 1/4" a month.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by bparnell75 View Post
    agree, patience. Wearing it up also helps with the Patience. There are many shoulder length up dos on YOUtUBE.
    I've been doing the lazy bun I believe it's called. I found a link to a tutorial on here. Most of my thickness is shoulder length, but my ends go to bra length
    Thanks!

Grow, grow, here we grow! Sarahlabyrinth's Avatar
    Length
    12"/Calf/Ankle
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Welcome to the forum Yes, patience will be your best friend here.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

☮ Enjoy the journey ♡ Groovy Granny's Avatar

Welcome

Fine tune your routine for happy hair..... then ENJOY each stage of your journey ......with new styles, bling it up with hair toys etc

Happy growing

MIRACLE RX for LONG hair....be it natural hair....or any type

Length
    0"/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

It's going to be okay. It doesn't really sound to me like you ruined your hair. All of that razoring will fix itself in due time.

If it helps at all I'm in a similar situation. Three months ago I went to my barber (yeah barber I like him he's great) and asked for a chunky layered cut with tons of razoring. He did a perfect job. I loved it. Then, two weeks later I decided that I'm finally going to grow my hair out LONG. Luckily he didn't take off any overall length. After the cut my hair was still hitting my bra strap but my layers were cut as high as my cheekbone and the razoring was as short as 3" or less in parts. Sometimes it annoys me but it is what it is.

You know what though? It is growing out and in a year or two my layers will be either gone or grown out to a point where I'm happy with them.

Soon enough yours will be grown out too.

It's gonna be okay.
    Last edited by jane_marie; October 18th, 2019 at 04:10 PM.
    We are all blind apes groping different parts of the same bewildered elephant.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Welcome to the forum.

We've all done crazy stuff to our hair. I think I had it every color under the sun (except unnatural colors) and every cut you can imagine, both self administered and professionally done. Yep. BTDT. I can safely say that.

It will grow. Be sure of that!
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    0.25/46/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Welcome!

Home is where the heart is