Thread: I found some vintage hair toys for sale...

Length
    Chin/BCL/CLSC
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default I found some vintage hair toys for sale...

I found a couple lovely hair toys at an antique mall this weekend; several tortise-shell combs with scrollwork fans to poke out of buns. They were labeled vintage, all between $15-20 in price. They looked old and the combs were worn smooth. I couldn't see any lines from pouring plastic into a mold, but they were in a locked case and the employees were way too busy with Christmas shoppers to unlock it when I wasn't committed to making a purchase.

My birthday is next month...if they are still there, I might treat myself to one. Is there anything I should look for when I get a chance to handle one?
    Imalath

Maintaining to trim off damage....experimenting with WO

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

Default Re: I found some vintage hair toys for sale...

I was eBay shopping I also found a vintage hair slide. It's like a stick barrette but all metal and the stick is attached to the slide part. I don't think mine is real vintage they had29 left down to a few but I might get one it's under $5.00 tax shipping and handing.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I think the obvious things...any cracks in the material, rough edges or places that might catch or snag your hair.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    pixie/Hip/n/a
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Am I the only one who thinks the cashier/employee was rude not to even show you the merchandise without "promising to buy it" first? People want to look at and touch the item they are interested in. I think they lost a sale from not showing you the merchandise. I would look elsewhere first, find someone who wants to accommodate the customer!

Length
    32/40/?
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I once drove 250 miles and paid $40. more to keep from buying from a rude store owner. I had asked to see an item and he asked if I was going to buy it and I said I was going to buy it the next time I came in. He said I could see it when I was ready to buy it. I was buying items by the case and my shopping cart was full. I really fixed him.
    Last edited by Stormynights; December 22nd, 2014 at 02:52 AM.
    Lady Nephelai, Storm-Breaker of the Skies in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Length
    Chin/BCL/CLSC
    Type
    2b/M/ii

They weren't being rude to me at all; I know they gladly would have opened the case for me if I had asked. There were only two employees handling everything for a large building with three floors of items...they were very busy. I just didn't feel like waiting half an hour to be waited on when I know I can stop by on my way home from work next week and be in and out with my treasure in less than ten minutes. As a retail worker myself, I try not to be a pest to others if I can help it--I have been there.

Besides, a little anticipation is good for my soul, lol

I think they might be horn or shell; I remember one being solid black and the other two were tortiseshell. I didn't see any scratches on them or obvious signs of them being plastic. They had fairly decent patina... I have been burned a couple times this year when it comes to buying things that turned out not to be as advertised, so now I am pretty wary.

Any other advice for me?
    Imalath

Maintaining to trim off damage....experimenting with WO

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

You might send a PM or visitor message to our vintage/antique gurus: Calaelen and Peggy E come to mind.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    12/28/*hip*
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

You might find this link useful:
    http://haircomb.co.uk/articles.html Many many articles about old combs!

I have found a shop that sells a lot of old combs, too, and I am buying myself a comb every now and then I'm excited for you that you found a source of awesome old combs! About the material: some combs are indeed made of tortoiseshell, but a lot also are made of celluloid. That's a plastic that was used back when, for combs and a lot of other things. Some celluloid looks very much like horn or tortoiseshell. Tortoise usually is more expensive, or so I've been told. I can't really see the difference myself, I think two of my combs are tortpiseshell but I'm not sure. I personally don't really care, if it's pretty and I like to wear it then I'm happy!

You do need to look out for brittle bits. I've heard celluloid and other early plastics can 'rot' or crumble and once it starts, you can't really stop it. And it can spread to other pieces too. Also they don't like to be stored near heat or in blazing sunshine. As for care, I polished mine with a multipurpose polish cream, very gently, and it removed dirt and small surface scratches and they are sooooo shiny now But DON'T rub it on decorative print and details.
    Buuuut I am not an expert at all, I'm happy to be corrected by anyone more knowledgeable about this stuff, because I want to learn all there is to know about old combs too They are such amazing pieces of jewelry.

And you NEED to show pictures of the loot, either in this thread or in the Vintage Hairtoys thread or in my PM box because I love to see pictures!!

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/ii

http://www.ebay.com/gds/TORTOISESHEL...2067858/g.html

Maybe this article will be of use to you? And I would love to see pics as well!