Thread: Co-Washing Coconut Oil Out of Hair?

Type
    3c/4a/C/ii

Default Co-Washing Coconut Oil Out of Hair?

So, this is weird. I found a brand of coconut oil that makes my hair easier to detangle which is Nature's Way Liquid Coconut Oil. Never thought my hair would actually like coconut oil because I've used many different brands and they all sucked. I read a good way to get any oil out of your hair is by using rinse out conditioner. So, it worked but I was wondering do I still have to use shampoo or was conditioner enough?
    OS pattern - Medium strands - Spongy Texture - High Density - 3c/4a Hair type
    My hair loves gels.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Co-Washing Coconut Oil Out of Hair?

Only you can be the judge of that. You'll probably need to use shampoo at least once in awhile for clarifying. Conditioners and oils leave behind residues, and over time your hair can get weighed down, tangly, and dull.

Length
    Pixie/APL/TBL
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Soullurre View Post
    So, this is weird. I found a brand of coconut oil that makes my hair easier to detangle which is Nature's Way Liquid Coconut Oil. Never thought my hair would actually like coconut oil because I've used many different brands and they all sucked. I read a good way to get any oil out of your hair is by using rinse out conditioner. So, it worked but I was wondering do I still have to use shampoo or was conditioner enough?
    I leave coconut oil on overnight, and then in the morning coat my hair in cone-free conditioner for half an hour; I can then just do a normal CO wash and the oil comes out. If I don't soak it with conditioner beforehand, the oil is a lot more difficult to get out.
    Pixie ~ Chin ~ Shoulder ~ APL - BSL ~ MBL ~ Waist ~ Hip ~ Tailbone
    Growing out a pixie since May 2012
    Cut back to APL December 2016

Dr. Technicolor DreamBuns pastina's Avatar
    Length
    ?/BSL/dunno
    Type
    2b/F/M/iii

if i'm doing a coconut oil *soak* where the oil is really visible and weighing my hair down/making it look stringy, i'll typically condition first to get the oil out, then shampoo my scalp before conditioning again. otherwise, the little dab of oil i use daily to smooth fly-aways and add shine comes out with my normal wash/condition routine with no problem. ...hope that helps!

eta-- i'm not a co-wash person, though. i stretch washes to once a week, and find that i need shampoo on my scalp. if you're used to using a conditioner to wash, you might be ok without using a shampoo at all.
    Last edited by pastina; December 8th, 2014 at 06:06 PM.

Type
    3c/4a/C/ii

Okay thanks everyone.
    My hair loves gels.

Type
    3c/4a/C/ii

Ah, nevermind. I hit another rock in the road with my annoying hair and scalp. My scalp began burning and became tinder and so sore. So, I clarified everything out. So, my hair and scalp are now bare. I guess, it's water only for me. I'm so done. I give up.
    My hair loves gels.