Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Cut for Braiding?

Length
    BSL/Hip/TBL+
    Type
    2c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Best Cut for Braiding?

Blunt hemlines make the most aesthetically pleasing braids, in my opinion.

As for little bits sticking out of the braid, I haven't had an issue with that with a U, V or fairy taled hemline. I think since the taper in the afore mentioned hemlines is much more gradual and "natural" than layers/thinned hair there is not so much braid shred. The only way those affect my braid is by having a more distinct taper towards the ends (which is actually kind of nice as it's easier to tuck the braid ends in a bun).

Layers/thinned hair are a definitely no-go for sleek, neat braids, though.

Length
    SL/SL/WL
    Type
    3a/C/ii

While you wait for your layers to grow out, maybe you could try some pomade or wax or something like that before you braid to help your layers stay and not pop out of the braid so bad. I am also growing out layers and love braids but get really bad braid shred. The other day I smoothed some raw cocoa butter through my hair before I braided it and it actually helped. I just used the cocoa butter because I already had some laying around that I use to make lotion, but I imagine some kind of pomade that's a little sticky would work just as well. Good luck.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

There's no getting around hairs sticking out. Even when my hair was blunt cut "all one length", I had so many newer, shorter hairs all down my length that after an hour or two, my braids looked like baby bottle washers. The only difference with my current layers is that, rather than having a halo of escaped hairs all over the braided length, more hairs pop out together at specific places.

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

This depends HEAVILY on preference and thickness. I hate blunt hems now that my hair's so thick and I'd always end up with a really long tassel due to one section always ending up shorter than the other two. However, I will never touch layers again because layers in general are not good for wavy/curly hair.

Moderate U-hems and fairy-tale/natural ends are my personal preference, but it took me a full YEAR to get a non-stubby braid and a non-paintbrush tassel because my hair's so thick.

Some people like a blunt hem for the paintbrush tassel, and others like layers precisely because it makes their braid look messy, and still others just like the natural/fairy-tale look because it looks natural.

Basically: Whatever you like.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.