Thread: Is it going to darken?

Length
    Buzz/Shagg/Waist

Default Is it going to darken?

I used henna over bleached hair last night. (I found a bleach kit in the back of my closet while cleaning and couldnt resist, luckily i have no interest in doing it again i only left in on 20 minuets but felt icky about it.) The henna bleached out surprisingly easy, but not all the way the neon orange streaks are from the henna, the white is root growth.

This was the color before(After teh bleach, my pre bleach color is my avi):

and this is after, I left it on for 10 hours(mostly cause i was lazy and didnt want to stay up all night so i threw it on and went to bed.)

I dont mind the bright orange it is now, i'm just kind of hoping it'll darken up the above pic is in overcast light, inside under other lights its slightly darker, and i imagine it would be near blinding orange in pure sunlight lol, I have more henna left to do another application if it doesnt darken on its own but i'd like to save that for root touch ups if possible as i dont know when i get to buy more.
    Proud mommy to Freyja 6-3-2015 and Loki 2-17-17! <3
    Currently at shoulder length, not sure how long i want it, so i'm just gonna let it grow till i decide its long enough!

Length
    19/19/30 +
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: Is it going to darken?

If you want a darker shade you can buy another batch of henna and mix it with,
    black tea (Darkens henna)
    Coffee Powder (Creates a browner shade)
    Beetroot (For a more burgundy shade)

You can also add an acidic ingredient to allow the dye to release more.
    Lemon is a popular way to go.
    Long Hair Lover

Length
    BSL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/i

Default Re: Is it going to darken?

I found that henna didn't darken much on my bleached hair. Maybe it calmed down from the bright orange, but it didn't go brownish or reddish until I built up several applications (all between 4 and 6 hours). I think because the starting colour of bleached hair is basically white/yellow the henna will stay orange. So I would say you may need more applications if you want it to get past the orange stage, I did six hennas on my bleached hair to get a "red squirrel" (best example I can think of :P) colour.

Can you order henna online from Mehandi or H4H or find some cheaper BAQ stuff in an Indian grocery store/health food store? If not a semi perm colour like Manic Panic could be put over it to tone down the bright orange but on bleached hair it may stick around quite a while.

Still, if you can wait a week or at least a few days it may settle down to a less bright orange, but from my experience though I would think it won't darken on it's own.
    I hope that is of some help

ETA: I would not advise using lemon. Experiments have shown that it doesn't change the stain and on bleached hair, you are going to get a lot of dryness from that acid. Warm chamomile tea is mildly acidic and much better. I'm not sure if anything you add to a mix will make a permanent colour change. Things like beetjuice will wash out after a few washes, only the henna is permanent. So more applications will give you a permanent deeper stain.
    Last edited by rohirrrims; April 27th, 2014 at 04:29 AM.