Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Henna (orange) going over red hair...

Default Re: Henna (orange) going over red hair...

Envy of how it turned out, beautiful!

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

Well, I'm glad it turned out how you wanted it OctoberGourd! I just wanted to add a suggestion for others who may be following this/having similar problems. A hot oil treatment can REALLY lighten color! When I was in beauty school, my hair was chemically colored a beautiful shade of red violet. We had to practice performing hot oil treatments on each other...and oh my goodness, it pulled ALL the violet out of my hair, leaving me with an orangey reddish brown. I nearly cried! I only look good in cool tones. My hair was left fantasticly soft, though.

As for the aspirin- I personally would be wary of it, Salicylic acid is some strong stuff. Even 1.5% dries my face out horribly in a wash, I'd be afraid what it would do to my poor hair! But I suppose it would be gentler than using bleach. I think Salicylic acid is also in that liquid wart remover, it can kill all your skin cells if it's powerful enough.

That coppery red does look good on you, I think it looks very natural, like a sun kissed red head!

Practicing Patience veryhairyfairy's Avatar
    Length
    APL/CBL/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mermaid View Post
    Well, I'm glad it turned out how you wanted it OctoberGourd! I just wanted to add a suggestion for others who may be following this/having similar problems. A hot oil treatment can REALLY lighten color! When I was in beauty school, my hair was chemically colored a beautiful shade of red violet. We had to practice performing hot oil treatments on each other...and oh my goodness, it pulled ALL the violet out of my hair, leaving me with an orangey reddish brown. I nearly cried! I only look good in cool tones. My hair was left fantasticly soft, though.

As for the aspirin- I personally would be wary of it, Salicylic acid is some strong stuff. Even 1.5% dries my face out horribly in a wash, I'd be afraid what it would do to my poor hair! But I suppose it would be gentler than using bleach. I think Salicylic acid is also in that liquid wart remover, it can kill all your skin cells if it's powerful enough.

That coppery red does look good on you, I think it looks very natural, like a sun kissed red head!
    Thanks for the hot oil tip, I'm going to try it today as a deep treatment/experiment. I'm already nursing damaged ends which is why I haven't already tried the sun-in etc route. Hot oil may be a nice way to slowly pull some henna out without damage!

And I totally agree about the salicylic acid, it's a harsh substance and it's difficult to get the crushed/dissolved aspirin to be totally consistent. I could see people ending up with spots and chunks of lighter hair because the aspirin doesn't dissolve totally in water.
    Formerly a Henna-Head, formerly FTL, formerly patient

Type
    2b/2c/C/iii

I would also like to point out that unless your a chemist it would be tricky to find out how much salicylic acid you're paste actually contains..if it can kill skin kills, it can probably melt your hair!

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii/iii

It looks amazing! And that color is so pretty!!
    I love my natural hair color and texture ^^ (Except for the layers :P I still need to grow out the layers I want my hair one length^^)
    SL
    - APL -BSL/(Upper Back?) - MBL - WL - HL - TBL - CL

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Looks gorgeous!
    Last cut: An undercut pixie june 2018.
    Goals: Ears - Chin - Shoulder - Collarbone - APL - BSL