View Poll Results: Is a 'using indigo' article a good idea.

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, an indigo article is a good idea

27 96.43%
  • Not necessary, all the information is here already

0 0%
  • Cheese all the way

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: working with indigo article

Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: working with indigo article

I agree please give more info on indigo I'm trying to collect all the info I can so I can do my first application
    Going for tailbone length & beyond

Type
    1a/M/ii

I have never used indigo, but am really interested. I am interested in...

(1) how long indigo color lasts
    (2) any easier ways to apply
    (3) ways to prevent itchy scalp

etc, etc.!!
    Last edited by Akiko; October 15th, 2008 at 08:39 PM.

Type
    1b/F/ii

Thank you to everyone who voted and submitted comments It looks like I've got some work to do.

I think an indigo orientated article is important, as people who work with indigo long-term are such a tiny proportion of people who only henna and because of this there is relatively a smaller amount of info about it. On henna websites it's a bit of a tag on, yet if you're using indigo it has unique quirks, pros and cons that aren't the same as for henna and you must be familiar with these if you are to have success. Henna and indigo are very different herb powders in terms of how to use them as well as effect.

Unfortunately there are always a number of people who regret having used indigo and discover how difficult it can be to shift. I therefore think more information about it should be available to help people make informed choices before they commit. For me it works fantastically, but it's not for everyone.

It will be a while before I finish this and in the meantime if anyone is thinking of using indigo think carefully if darker hair suits your skintone. If you're lucky it will make it luminous, if it doesn't then you will look drained and tired. This isn't just for those aiming at black hair. Darkening your locks a few shades doesn't work for all skintones. Yet that said, if it works for your skintone age isn't a barrier and you will end up with a far more natural colour than you can get with hairdye.

Anyway, early thoughts.
    Thanks once again for your feedback
    Lady Rocais of the Nightwing locks in the Order of Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Akiko View Post
    I have never used indigo, but am really interested. I am interested in...

(1) how long indigo color lasts
    (2) any easier ways to apply
    (3) ways to prevent itch scalp

etc, etc.!!
    1) How long it lasts varies a lot from individual to individual. For me it gradually fades until it's had a second application when it's more or less permanent.

2) Easer than what? The henna/ indigo route is time consuming and everyone who's thinking of doing this should be prepared for that. That said, the first couple of times obviously take relatively longer, as you are getting used to working with the herbs. It does get easier with practice, but it will never be as quick as a shop-bought dye.

3) It depends on what causes the scalp itch, if you're allergic to indigo then you have to quit doing it. Most people, however, will get scalp itch (including me) even if they aren't allergic to indigo if they don't remove the residue thoroughly. I CO 3 times afterwards using indigo and then use a shampoo bar, finishing off with a vinegar rinse. This is time consuming, but I get neither rub-off problems that many do nor scalp itch.

HTH
    Lady Rocais of the Nightwing locks in the Order of Long Haired Knights