Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is hip higher or lower than BCL?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: Is hip higher or lower than BCL?

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty View Post
    For me, the tops of my hip bones are right in between tailbone and waist (3" from either). I tend to think of hip as that length. For me, TBL and BCL are the same. TBL MIGHT be at most 1/4" below BCL, if you're being picky. I wonder if that's common, or just a weird quirk of my body.
    All bodies, and booties in particularly, are quirky. TBL and BCL aren't very close on me, but I've got about a mile and a half of BC.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    Pixie/Waist/BCL?
    Type
    3a/3b/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    All bodies, and booties in particularly, are quirky. TBL and BCL aren't very close on me, but I've got about a mile and a half of BC.
    Hehehe. I'm picturing a literal mile and a half of butt crack. It's like something off of a Sir Mix-a-lot video
    "I'm not cheating, I'm just decorating." ~ravenreed

Length
    14/31/43+
    Type
    1a/1b/M/i/ii

Glad to see this thread, I just reached waist and have been obsessing over where the heck hip was on my body. I have an odd shape, my back is VERY curved and as best I can figure, the top of my hipbone is only 1-1 1/2 inches below my waist! and then tailbone.... I decided to just call TB when my hair touches (or nearly touches) the ground when I sit on the floor.

Basically I'm expecting to wander in confusion between the Waist to Hip and the Hip to Tailbone threads until I hit classic. :P
    ~Lydia

It's been a long colorful journey.

Length
    Chin/25/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

ETA: Posted in wrong thread, hehe.

Lady Samhain of the Pumpkin Hollow in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    sl/apl/hip
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i

Sorry, but just what is BCL? Is it really "butt crack lenght"?
    No cones, no SLS, occasional deep-treatments, self-trims, finger detangling and a natural bristle brush.

Length
    WL/hip/TB
    Type
    1a/C/ii

My hair is a little below WL right now, and some people would consider it hip length but I agree, the term is a little vague.

Personally, I will consider my hair hip length when it hits the dimples of my back. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the picture (warning: this isn't quite work safe http://woodoomagazine.com/wp-content...dimples-16.jpg)
    On my body, that also happens to be around where my hip bones protrude out the most in the front.

On my body, this "back-dimple length" looks like it is 2-3 inches below waist length and, and 2-3 inches above tailbone length. So it seems to me like a good marker for hip length.

Type
    1c/2a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Higher for just about everyone. Different people have different definitions, but I tend to consider "hip" to be the top of the pelvis, illiac-crest length. (ETA: On my short-torsoed body, that's actually a smidge above the point of my elbows.) Hip for clothes, which is the widest point, is somewhere between TB and classic for me.
    Yep. The iliac crest is what most people mean when they say hip.
    Your real hip is the joint at the very top of your thigh that allows you to sit down.

APL, BSL, waist, hip, BCL, tailbone, classic would be the progression for most people.

ETA: Now why did that make me remember that old 4th grade joke about your nose running and your feet smelling?
    erika
    Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by rusika1 View Post
    Your real hip is the joint at the very top of your thigh that allows you to sit down.
    I figure that's basically classic. Maybe an inch or so north of classic.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

For me, ultra leggy, ultra short waisted, muscled legs and butt - waist is 2" from hip, hip is maybe .5" from BCL, BCL is 5" from TBL if measured over my butt, TBL is 4-6" to classic, hard to tell.

Not everybody has pronounced hips. On some body shapes the top of the thighs is the widest part of the body. I always thought "hip length" was were the two lower back dimples are located if you have them, or where they would be if you do not. That is how I define it.