Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    18apl/31wst/36tb
    Type
    2c/M/i

Question Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

(I hope it's okay to ask something like this...I'm still a newbie here, and I wasn't sure where to put this post.)

The title pretty much sums it up...I know that some religions have grooming/modesty standards, and I've seen a few churches where it seemed like all the women had long hair, so I guessed it was probably part of the faith. But I never really knew for sure.
    In my case, it's not something my religion asks or requires, but it is something I feel spiritual about...having long hair, and the time and care involved in growing it, makes me feel more in touch with nature and the Divine, you know? And I really like that.
    What about you?

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Default Re: Is your hair long for religious/spiritual reasons?

Well, I'm Jewish, and we're not supposed to cut our hair, but that's not the only reason I'm growing it.
    I'm growing it because I like it, and because a lot of the people around here don't appreciate long hair, and I want to be able to show them that having long, healthy hair is possible.

Length
    1/4/short/n/a
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Yes and no.

I started growing my hair long for religious reasons. I was attending an apostolic pentecostal church and long hair was part of the doctrine. I have since left that church and I don't think long hair is required by God. I am continuing to grow anyway (a) because I like my long hair and (b) I am still studying my beliefs and praying about what God really wants.

ETA: It's a miracle in of itself that I didn't cut as soon as I left the church. That tends to be how my personality works. If someone tells me I have to do something, I do the opposite. But... I love my hair so I'm keeping it.
    Last edited by AJoifulNoise; July 20th, 2008 at 05:15 PM.

Length
    BSL/CL/Knee
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Saryn Jumail View Post
    Well, I'm Jewish, and we're not supposed to cut our hair, but that's not the only reason I'm growing it.
    I'm growing it because I like it, and because a lot of the people around here don't appreciate long hair, and I want to be able to show them that having long, healthy hair is possible.
    I'd be interested to know which denomination, as most women at my shul have short hair. Some wear wigs over that, to boot, but cloche hats are popular, with the occasional scarf.

My hair is indeed an oddity, in length and color.

But to the OP, I grow it for spiritual reasons (meaning, {way} aside from Judaism).
    I feel that cutting is subtracting from you and your essence (funny, I don't feel that way about nails or dieting, just hair)
    and that subtracting is bad for one's soul.
    Join a declutter challenge http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=141272

Nevertheless, she persisted.

Yes my long hair is for religious reasons. When I was younger I had hair almost down to my ankles (I won the Illinois state ponytail contest several times), but then when I got out of church I cut my hair till it was a little shorter than touching shoulders (this was multiple cuts) and I could only get a stub of a ponytail . The last cut was in the late fall of 2004 and since then I got back in church and have been growing my hair....now it is waist lenght but it really feels like it grows slow. By the way I am Pentecostal/Apostolic. Feel free to ask any questions and I will not shove the religion down your throat.

Type
    3a/3b/F/M/ii/iii

so do you know how to do a lot of the hairstyles that pentecostals do with their hair. i would like it if you could share with me on how to do some of those hair styles.

Type
    3a/3b/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak2185 View Post
    so do you know how to do a lot of the hairstyles that pentecostals do with their hair. i would like it if you could share with me on how to do some of those hair styles.
    Honestly I wish that I could figure out some of those styles. Although I will say that from what I do know (this is why I don't attend the Apolostic/Pentecostal church, the ladies aren't "friendly" there) they use alot of heat to get those curls and lots and lots and lots of hairspray and other product. They are good at getting their hair to look healthy when it is up, but I have seen many with severely damaged hair.

Length
    BSL/Class/Termi
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tobikay View Post
    (this is why I don't attend the Apolostic/Pentecostal church, the ladies aren't "friendly" there)
    I'm Apostolic Pentecostal.
    <a little hijack> I want to say I'm sorry the ladies at that church weren't friendly. How awful. You can come to my church anytime and be bombarded by all the people who want to meet you <end hijack>.
    Second, I grow my hair because of a personal conviction I have. It is not because my religion told me to. I believe though my own bible reading that if I have long hair it is pleasing to God. So I make a personal choice to have long hair.
    Finally, I can't do any of those styles either. I have very fine, slippery, heavy hair. It would take me a million bobby pins and a ton of hairspray to hold it.
    Carrie
    1 Husband, 3 Kids, 2 Dogs and to many geckos to count - Welcome to the Zoo
    www.geckogreatness.com

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    37"/39"/term
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kashencarrie View Post
    I'm Apostolic Pentecostal.
    <a little hijack> I want to say I'm sorry the ladies at that church weren't friendly. How awful. You can come to my church anytime and be bombarded by all the people who want to meet you <end hijack>.
    Second, I grow my hair because of a personal conviction I have. It is not because my religion told me to. I believe though my own bible reading that if I have long hair it is pleasing to God. So I make a personal choice to have long hair.
    Well spoken.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    37"/39"/term
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by tobikay View Post
    Honestly I wish that I could figure out some of those styles. Although I will say that from what I do know (this is why I don't attend the Apolostic/Pentecostal church, the ladies aren't "friendly" there) they use alot of heat to get those curls and lots and lots and lots of hairspray and other product. They are good at getting their hair to look healthy when it is up, but I have seen many with severely damaged hair.

I'm sorry that you have had bad experiences with "unfriendly" pentecostal/apostolic ladies....and you are right, a lot of the ladies use a lot of heat and bad products in their hair. Unfortunately they are not all taught how to take proper care of their hair. I personally have learned this on my own for mine and my daughter's sake and I am trying to help others too.....and yes I am pentecostal/apostolic too. As for hairdo's I can get some pics together of all the different styles that we do on ourselves. Mine and one of my daughter's hair is long and curly and my other daughter's is straight. I will try to get these together but it may take a little time. HTH.