Thread: Desert Essence Organics line?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Default Desert Essence Organics line?

I'm not sure if I am putting this thread in the right place, so mods please move it if it needs to be!

I am wondering about the Desert Essence Organics shampoo and conditioner line. They smell wonderful, but are they very good? They say they are a gentle but effective cleansing system based on sugar and coconut oil. Is it possible to get a good cleansing using those ingredients? For those of you who have tried these products, which ones do you like or don't like? Thanks in advance!

Length
    Shldr/Waist/Clasc
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

I have some of the Raspberry conditioner, but I haven't tried their shampoos. The conditioner is alright but to be honest I used half of it when I was looking for a good cone-free vegan conditioner but I was never 100% happy with it and I still haven't bothered using the rest of it. I like *very* moisturising conditioners which this one wasn't (I normally go for ones for damaged/coloured hair even though mine isn't). I wasn't that wild about the smell either even though everyone else seems to love it. Always smelt a little bit like play-doh to me.
    Still, it might work for you as people obviously want different things out of conditioners and I'm sure a lot of people would find the one I use now (Australian Organics) too heavy.

Long hair not bricklayer. PseudoScot's Avatar
    Length
    ~17/Class/Class
    Type
    1a/M/ii

I got the Raspberry on sale and I like it. I've only used it a few times but found it left my hair softer than the Burt's Bees I have been using. I'm not sure but it might not have left me grease free for as long but there can be a lot more factors for than in my case than just shampoo.

If you're interested in trying it I'd say shop around and try to get a good deal. They come in 8oz bottles whereas my Burt's was 12, I believe, so it might look cheaper but you are getting less.

I have not disliked this product and will use it again. I can't tell if I love it yet, though. I'm usually sulfate free but wanted to try this because it's the Sodium Coco Sulfate which is rumored to be easier on hair.

Right now I'm on an Heart of Iowa soapworks shampoo bar kick so the Desert Essence hasn't seen much use lately.

ETA: Just to clarify - I used the Raspberry Shampoo but have no experience with their other products.
    Last edited by PseudoScot; April 13th, 2008 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Clarity on which stuff I use
    Previously hiding in Sherwood.

Length
    SL/37"/40"
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Been using the Desert Essence Organics Tree conditioner as a "first" condish. It's fine.
    Silver-haired temptress of the order of the gaming Knights.

Length
    Chin/APL/Waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/i/ii

Okay, I washed my hair with the Red Grape shampoo and it lathered up pretty well. It rinsed out easily too. I had a sample of the Kiss My Face Everyday Frequent Wash conditioner and tried that too. It was really nice and smelled good. However, after washing and conditioning my hair was harder to detangle than usual and I lost more hair than I'd like. Even though, after letting my hair air dry it is shiny and very soft! I think I might try some more of the DE Organics shampoos but I've heard the conditioners aren't that moisturizing so I don't know about trying those.

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Default Re: Desert Essence Organics line?

I have recently tried their Lemon Tea Tree shampoo and conditioner. They smell wonderful, deodorize well and seem to absorb sebum all day and night. I was able to stretch a shampoo for five days. Ordinarily I shampoo each morning.

However, my length and ends are getting too dry! I'm starting to hear the sound of breakage when I run my fingers through my hair and I've seen a few split ends. So I'm back to my previous mixture of EO Organic Lemon Liquid Soap (with organic lemon tea tree oil added, diluted in organic soap nut liquid and purified water).

I am disappointed and need to find some way to baby my hair during Fall and Winter so that I don't lose length and strength due to dryness and damage. Can anyone suggest a way to make the Desert Essence products that I already have work for my hair now?

I've tried brushing hair well with a BBB each night and before shampooing, drinking organic coconut milk each morning (makes my hair soft), eating extra virgin organic coconut oil each evening (makes additional sebum which shoots right down my hair shaft) and my hair still seems overly dried by these products. Help!

❀☾ⓟᵃᵑᵈᵒᴿᵃ ℒᵒᵑᶢᶩᵒᶜᵏᶳ☽❁ princessp's Avatar
    Length
    27"/39"/42"
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

Love these products. But I especially love the pomegranate face wash. It always makes my skin look fantastic.

ETA: I use the shampoo not the conditioner. I usually use Nature's Gate conditioner and it rocks my world.
    Pandora LongLocks of the Forbidden Treasure in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1c/2a/C/ii

I have the Italian Red Grape shampoo and conditioner, I love them they work very well for my hair. Only the smell is a little bit too flashy.

Length
    17.5"/APL/APL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

GrowingGlory you may want to dilute the shampoo with water in an empty bottle before use and you can try to use the conditioner in a SMT

Length
    TERM/CHIN/SHLDR
    Type
    1c/C/iii

Thanks! I've never done an SMT before.