Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you henna your roots?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Default How often do you henna your roots?

I've got about an inch of roots now, so it's almost time to touch up. How often do you touch up your roots? Do you use a regular application or just a gloss? I'm not wanting to lose curl.

Thanks!
    Lady Rhiannon, Grand OverSeer of Mischief and Mayhem, keeper of The Wizard, of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Chopped it all off, grew out henna, and having fun starting over.

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

Default Re: How often do you henna your roots?

I don't think you have much to worry about. This seems to happen only to some people with wavy or almost straight hair. If curly people really lost curls from that, I know a dozen who would start doing henna just for that reason only ;-) I have not noticed much difference on my 3C hair either. I do roots every 10-14 days when they are about an inch or so. I have white hair that grows really fast. I do normal henna paste for the roots and just a bit of gloss or a cassiamix for the lengths. They are already at maximum henna saturation. It gives just a bit of extra sheen for the lengths and the roots get the full dye.

I guess it depends on your hair, if you can notice any difference.

/ CMG

I henna my roots quite often as I have a lot of gray hair. Sometimes I do it every ten days sometimes it goes to three weeks and unfortunately I have to disagree with CMG on curl loss. I had very curly hair, I don't know in numbers what it was but really curly coarse hair and I totally lost my curls and kept the coarse hair. My hair is barely wavy now but I love henna a nd the color it gives me that I don't care for the loss of curls. I use a curler sometimes if I have to and I moisturize my hair as much as I can to entice it to be a bit curly. In my case,too much henna too often affected the curl pattern drastically but maybe it is not the case for everyone.

Length
    13"/39½"/47"
    Type
    3c/F/ii

That's very interesting Shatam1. I think I read about your loss of curl some time ago here on LHC. I don't know of anyone else whith such a radical change though. Do you put henna on all your hair every time or do you only do the roots?
    /CMG

I do rooted only but you know how henna will still touch some of your hair while under the wrapping I dilute it a lot now with oils .

I've been doing mine every seven days, ten would be fine, but my husband works during the week, so Sunday is our day, just roots, and full strength, but I freeze it so I only leave it on two hours. and it gives great coverage.

I do it about once a month, I too was afraid to loose curl, because once my hair reached about waist my already loose curls became even loosser. But I really wanted red hair so I went for it anyway, haven't noticed a diference on the curls. I also do amla treatments to prevent that, I used to mix amla with henna to prevent curl loss, but I'm going full henna now because I want a redder color, not browinish, the amla treatments are done separatelly. And since I'm trying to build up colour I henna my whole head.
    Hennahead

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I do roots only about every 3 or 4 weeks. I have a lot of gray on my temples, and it's a stark contrast to the henna. I make a gloss from 1/4 dye released henna (usually thawed from the freezer) and 3/4 suave condish, plus 1/2 tsp xanthan gum to keep it from dripping. I'm hoping to keep it from getting too dark while blending in the gray. Can't address the loss of curl. My hair was straight as a child, and that was the last time it was below my shoulders. It seems to be wavier now, but it's hennaed, so it's anybody's guess. lol!

Henna is pretty idiot-proof: you won't have a demarcation line and it blends in just fine.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Pixie/Bob/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I henna/(hendigo now I guess) every week. I love the process, and my hair is just minimally wavy; when it was long I didn't have a loss of waves from it. I can't see a millimeter of grey or I'll freak! Haha

This is so me, and trust me, I can find a mm of white roots within three days of just doing henna if I use the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonita View Post
    I henna/(hendigo now I guess) every week. I love the process, and my hair is just minimally wavy; when it was long I didn't have a loss of waves from it. I can't see a millimeter of grey or I'll freak! Haha