Page 4 of 1005 FirstFirst ... 2345614541045041004 ... LastLast

Thread: The CO (conditioner only) washing thread

Account Closed by Member Request
    Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Intothemist - I use a paraben and cone free "base" conditioner from a company called the Soap Kitchen. It's the kind of thing designed for people who want a super-basic conditioner that they can tweak themselves, adding other conditioning agents, fragrance etc. It's really thin and cleanses my hair really well. If you can find a company in Canada that does something similar that might be what you're looking for.

Hope that helps!

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyKitten View Post
    Also, does anyone have any tips for reducing buildup in general?

Hi

Lots of people on LHC use baking soda or sulfate shampoos to clarify. If you search the boards for "clarify" you might find some other methods.

I've experimented with baking soda before and my personal feeling is that it takes a lot of very careful adjustment to make it work for each individual's hairtype. I have to use an incredibly weak dilution, otherwise it seems to suck every drop of moisture out of my hair even if I use an acidic rinse afterwards!

I prefer to use shampoo, but I must follow that with a decent oiling. If I don't, I get frizz It's allllllll about the experimentation

Let us know what works for you hon.

Type
    2c/3a/M/i

Stacy_E - Such a great explanation of your routine! Thank you. I used to use C-COW-C. I haven't tried CWC yet. I was worried that neither of these methods would clarify my hair enough, but it sounds like it works for you!

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

I'm still new to CO but I've noticed such an improvement in the length already. I C-COW-C'd for a while and it didn't work so well for me. When I shampooed, even with diluted shampoo, the top layer of hair at the back and the ends would feel very dry - and I did not shampoo directly onto the length, only to the scalp and roots. I also always ended up with a greasy, "sticky" feeling crown after 2 days. Ugh. It seems I don't get that with CO. My hair is soft all the way to the ends and when it gets greasy it's not such a nasty feeling - the greasiness still feels cleaner somehow, if that makes any sense.

So I am sticking with CO for now. I'm sure at some point my hair will rebel, as it does with most products and routines, but for now it is very happy!

My only issue with it is that my hair seems to be a darker shade of golden blonde. I'm hoping this will fix itself... o_O I liked it brighter. But I'm more concerned about the condition. If this makes my hair silky and happy, then I'll just have to deal with the darker colour or find another way to lighten it!

...calling on the flying things of the universe & hoping not too many of them are pigeons...

Length
    chin/MB/Hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

ok, so I washed my hair this morning with cone free conditioner. It tangled up a bit, which it hasn't before. It's the first time I have gone cone free so I will persevere and see how it goes. For other people, did you know immediately that cone free condition only wasn't for you, or did you find out after a prolonged period?

Length
    APL/BSL/Hip
    Type
    2c/F/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Newniepg View Post
    For other people, did you know immediately that cone free condition only wasn't for you, or did you find out after a prolonged period?
    I can only speak for myself, but yes I noticed that at first when I went cone-free my hair had a bit of an adjustment period when it would tangle more and my baby hairs would form more of a frizzy halo.
    That said, I've been cone-free now since the very start of 2008 and my hair seems to really love these products now! I would prefer to remain cone-free, because in my opinion my hair looks and feels so much better nowadays, less coated and more vibrant and shiny. It did take a while for my hair to adjust to it but I find it hardly tangles at all now so perhaps it's finally settled into the no-cones routine.

It helps my hair if I oil it heavily(ish) before a shower and then when rinsing out the conditioner rinse the hair in sections, making sure that when I come out of the shower all my hair is lying neatly on my head and not all messily tossed about.

Today after I washed I found it wasn't tangled at all. I didn't even have to finger-comb. Am happy. *beams*

It also helps me to really concentrate on working a heavier conditioner into the length, from the ears down, and particularly the ends. I massage it very carefully and thoroughly, trying to keep it as smooth as possible. Rough handling in the shower leads to tangles.

Ooooh, ALSO, I ACV-rinsed after my CO today. I don't know if that contributed to the lack of tangles but it may have! I don't usually ACV rinse but if it dries nicely (it's only half dry as I type) I think I will add it to the end of my CO wash in future because my hair feels gorgeous at present.

...calling on the flying things of the universe & hoping not too many of them are pigeons...

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by pariate View Post
    If it works for you then go for it Whilst I am a huge fan of CO, I know it's not necessarily right for eveyone! Even the people who love it have occasional problems with it, as my experience this week proves. Lots of people modify the "classic" CO routine to suit their hair and their lifestyles.
    I am going to try it, but I concerned it will strip the color from my hair. I colored a week ago, and the CO has kept my color vibrant- like I just colored it yesterday! I love it like that, and I don't want the shampoo to change that But I'm thinking maybe a bit over a dime size, diluted with water, might not hurt?
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    29"/35/40"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii/iii

I have a quick question. My hair is still as thick but I notice that is is "scooshier". I don't know how to explain it, but if I braid it, my braid is really thin, yet if I do a bun I can still feel all my thickness there. Is this normal? I"m guessing it's a good thing.
    Lady Meikyo of the Cerise Blade

Length
    17"/20"/24"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Newniepg View Post
    . For other people, did you know immediately that cone free condition only wasn't for you, or did you find out after a prolonged period?

In my case I never paid much attention to my hair prior to joinnig TLHC last summer, so I have no idea how any particular product was affecting my hair.

From what I read after joining, going cone-less (whether CO or S&C or CWC) seemed like a good idea so I've been doing that for many months. I'm not one to fuss over my hair or examine it closely and I don't pay too much attention to it besides enjoying running my fingers through it when it feels especially nice (just don't ask about the frizz! *lol*) At some point alont the way, I discovered that yes, my hair does seem nicer without cones.

I'm jumping back on the CO bandwagon. It's awful muggy tonight and I hate showering when it's like that - I get out and I still feel damp! :/ I may wait till later or tomorrow when it's cooler.
    Lady Myst of the Evanescent Veils OLHK
    Before/after lemon rinse pics

Length
    BSL/TB/?
    Type
    1c/F/i

I have been C/Oing for a couple of years now. I don't use shampoo at all anymore - I found that with the right conditioner I don't get any buildup.
    The only products that touch my hair these days are conditioner (mostly Nivea for coloured hair) every other day, henna (about once a month), BWC leave-in (after henna only), and Women's Regaine to reduce hair loss (twice a day). Without Regaine I'd probably have to wash much less often, that stuff ist terribly sticky.

If I feel that one C/O doesn't get my hair squeaky clean I just rinse and repeat, that'll do it.