Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I get heavy, silky hair?

Length
    Chin/Hip/Clas
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii/iii

Question How do I get heavy, silky hair?

Hello!
    My strands are very fine, which causes my hair to look very frizzy and almost static, also in summer. My hair quite thick overall, but isn't weighed down. It's a little too voluminous down the length, so I get the triangle head hair that most people with shorter hair have, even though my hair's past hip length. It looks weird. I would like silky, heavy hair that stays in place. I don't know what kind of products I could use for this. Any tips? Thanks in advance! <3

Default Re: How do I get heavy, silky hair?

I have very similar hair and very similar wishes, but I'm not sure that product exists. I just did a cassia treatment last night, and my hair strands do feel thicker though, so maybe something like that would help a bit?

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Sad to report: Likely you need good hair genes. I don't have them.
    Opting out of Friend Requests, thank you very much!

Length
    buzz/tbl/cl
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yep, it sounds likely you’re coveting the hair type that comes with different genes. Anything else is going to be an ongoing struggle, imho...

One of the bestest things about this forum is the encouragement to embrace your own texture, your own heritage, your natural self! There’s not many things more beautiful or dare I say revolutionary in these times.

Length
    12"/Calf/Calf
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Yep, you need different hair genes. I would love that type of hair too, but - don't have it! You (and I) need to like what we have.
    JESUS, MY LORD AND SAVIOUR

Length
    SHL/34.5/35.4
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Tatsuoni's hair changed over time,she went from fine to medium,I think it's hormone related, not only genetic. I also went from medium to fine due to hormonal changes...
    Growing virgin hip length

Length
    Hip/Hip+/Metal
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

Well-moisturised hair is heavier than dry. You could also try and weight it down a bit with some oils, but it's easy to go overboard with them, especially with fine hair.

Like others have said, the best thing to do is just accept your genes and work with them rather than against them.
    Ósnjallr maðr hyggsk munu ey lifa, ef hann við víg varask;
    en elli gefr hánum engi frið, þótt hánum geirar gefi.

Instagram | Last.fm | Folk band | Acoustic metal duo | My links

Length
    Chin/APL/TBD
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

It sounds like you and I have similar hair!
    No matter what I do I'm always going to have some poof and major flyaways, but a few things can help.
    For me, I think the biggest difference comes from my stylist. When I hit about shoulder length she put in a lot of internal layering and a couple of layers on top. I know a lot of people wouldn't want this because you do lose thick ess by doing this, but it really does make a difference, my hair lays so much better since it's actually cut for my hair type.
    Second thing is keeping hair conditioned. With fine hair I feel like it's hard to strike a good balance for this. Too many moisturizing products and it looks greasy, but not enough and it's a mess. Finding the sweet spot is tricky, but I like keeping it pretty simple and cheap. I use an aussie conditioner most wash days, Garnier treats one minute masks for when I condition (usually the avocado), and if I'm going to blow dry I guse the Garnier sleek and shine leave in conditioner. 2/3 of those products have silicone, which I don't avoid but many do.
    Blow drying can also help keep everything looking smooth. If you don't use too high of a heat setting it isn't that bad.

I'll also say I've got a clear memory of hearing this girl in high school, who in my eyes had perfect hair, similar to what you've described as your goal, envying someone's fine, fluffy hair.
    We all want what we can't have I guess!

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Ylva View Post
    Well-moisturised hair is heavier than dry. You could also try and weight it down a bit with some oils, but it's easy to go overboard with them, especially with fine hair.

Like others have said, the best thing to do is just accept your genes and work with them rather than against them.
    I have definitely found this - even when I was between classic and knee my hair would float upwards and wind itself around things. Now that my routine is far more moisturising than it was then, that doesn't happen unless it gets staticky (which up until last week, *never* happened). I think a major part of solving it was doing ROO, whereas dry oiling between washes didn't make much difference until it was oiled heavily enough to look oily - not to mention the lint magnet it became.

Edit: just to add, I used silicones before in what was just a routine of S/C/airdry/brush, and my hair still did its floaty investigative thing.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    0.25/52/Term
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Belgrade Beauty View Post
    Tatsuoni's hair changed over time,she went from fine to medium,I think it's hormone related, not only genetic. I also went from medium to fine due to hormonal changes...
    Yeah, it did change around 20.

But my hair would also be static and frizzy without lots of moisture and oil. I use aloe vera followed up by a little bit of oil to tame my hair.

Be nice or the beast will scream

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights