Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get it under a hat?

The Pusuit Of Hippieness Natalia's Avatar
    Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default How to get it under a hat?

I feel like a dunce when trying to wear hats (no pun intended). I just cannot get a bun under there without looking like someone tried to invert my face. Now that im long enough im going to try pinning a braid around my crown maybe that will be a lower profile. Any tips for wearing hats with updo's?

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

Default Re: How to get it under a hat?

I either wear braids or a ponytail with hats. I did buy a shallow-crowned straw hat that works with a bun, but I have trouble keeping it on my head without hatpins. Something they don't tell you about hat pins is that in a strong wind, they PULL! Ouch!
    Change is the only constant.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

I am on the same quest. Here is what I have learned.

A cinnamon bun on the crown and made to lay as flat as possible works. You might also look into the Vortex Bun. That should lie even flatter.

Lots of buns can be made low at the nape. Infinity and Nautilus spring to mind. My blog post today is on a modified Pha Bun that fits a stick under my hat.

I find that with practice I am getting better at secure but not tight nape buns. I'd love to hear what others have done!

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ravenreed View Post
    I either wear braids or a ponytail with hats. I did buy a shallow-crowned straw hat that works with a bun, but I have trouble keeping it on my head without hatpins. Something they don't tell you about hat pins is that in a strong wind, they PULL! Ouch!
    Ouch i bet! I dont want to wear my hair down as often as i wear hats or i would do braids for sure.

Length
    27"/~31"/40"
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Yeah, it's sad but I tend to cheat a lot in the winter. Lots of braids.
    Braids and braids and rope braids and french braids and double braids and BRAIDS!
    It can be a bit rough on your ends after a while though.
    *~ BSL - Waist - Hip - TBL - Classic? ~*

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    I am on the same quest. Here is what I have learned.

A cinnamon bun on the crown and made to lay as flat as possible works. You might also look into the Vortex Bun. That should lie even flatter.

Lots of buns can be made low at the nape. Infinity and Nautilus spring to mind. My blog post today is on a modified Pha Bun that fits a stick under my hat.

I find that with practice I am getting better at secure but not tight nape buns. I'd love to hear what others have done!
    Thanks for turning me onto the vortex bun i'll give it a go. I'll check out that modified pha too. Nape buns dont quite cut it with slouch hats then i look like im smuggling chinchilla lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Freckled.Thing View Post
    Yeah, it's sad but I tend to cheat a lot in the winter. Lots of braids.
    Braids and braids and rope braids and french braids and double braids and BRAIDS!
    It can be a bit rough on your ends after a while though.
    Braids are great but i have such a taper it makes me self concious aside from the wear and tear of getting in the way. One day after i grow out this shed.....

Length
    18/Cl/Term
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    Braids are great but i have such a taper it makes me self concious aside from the wear and tear of getting in the way.
    I tuck my braid up into my hat. For a flatter look I wrap the braid around my head and then put on a hat over it. It usually stays put that way, unless I'm running anywhere.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

A calorimetry works well for me, and is easy to make. Check out the crochet and knitting forums.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
    Thanks for turning me onto the vortex bun i'll give it a go. I'll check out that modified pha too. Nape buns dont quite cut it with slouch hats then i look like im smuggling chinchilla lol.
    LOL

During the down time I tried a bunch of nape buns with a variety of hats, and took pics! Blog.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    L-BSL/CLSC/Mid-T
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by embee View Post
    A calorimetry works well for me, and is easy to make. Check out the crochet and knitting forums.
    Oh on my way to ravelry now

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    LOL

During the down time I tried a bunch of nape buns with a variety of hats, and took pics! Blog.
    Awesome thanks for the link!