Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Damaged, or just frizzy wavy hair? (Pic heavy)

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Default Damaged, or just frizzy wavy hair? (Pic heavy)

My hair is a disaster when I let it air dry lately. So frizzy beyond belief. At first I kept thinking it was just how my waves form, but there's something not right about how my hair looks. Like, is this what wavy hair is supposed to look like?? My hair has only recently turned wavy in the past few years and I've always just kept it super short or just up in a ponytail, cause I never knew how to manage the change.

I put bleach on it, and while it looked fine the first time around (October 2012), the second round a few months later (March 2013) might have killed it? Here's some pictures to judge the situation. They were taken today:

The last two pictures my mom just took and we both noticed the demarcation line of what looks like bleach damage. So...I guess this means I'm not crazy, right? I'm hoping once I grow the damage out my waves will actually look pleasant? Or do I just naturally have this much frizz anyway? And these pictures today were even after I washed it and put a deep conditioner on it for 20 minutes. I know I'll probably have to chop, and I'm going in for a trim on Wednesday, but I wanna keep growing, too. Meh.
    Chin length bob for now. At least it's all pretty much healthy!

Length
    APL+/BCL/MidTh
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Damaged, or just frizzy wavy hair? (Pic heavy)

You seem to be right about the demarcation line. My hair seems very tangle prone to a line as well and I think it is old dye damage. I think once you get it off it will be surprisingly soft and manageable. (I am not an expert.. looking forward to others' replies!)

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by hafattack View Post
    You seem to be right about the demarcation line. My hair seems very tangle prone to a line as well and I think it is old dye damage. I think once you get it off it will be surprisingly soft and manageable. (I am not an expert.. looking forward to others' replies!)
    I'm trying to grow out to BSL, but I think I won't get there as fast as I thought, especially if I'm gonna have to do frequent trims. Because going out in public like this is embarrassing. I guess I'll just wear it up. I'm trying to stay away from heat styling too, but I might end up having to blow dry or flat iron so I won't scare anyone with my horrible hair. Though it might make the situation worse...

One thing I'm NOT gonna do is cut it all off again and do the pixie thing. I've learned my lesson. I'd rather have damaged length than practically no hair at all. Having short hair feels wonderful, but the growing out process is positively painful.

Try over night oiling. I used coconut oil on bleached damaged hair and after a time it did wonders on allowingre to keep my length

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

You're not brushing it are you? The reason I ask is, it really looks like it's been brushed and when you brush curls they go haywire!

I'm not sure if the line is damage or just where your waves start (I've seen lots of curly haired girls and guys where the curls start partway down the head, I think it's a certain hairtype that does that.)

Overnight oiling is a good idea. Is your hair stretchy or brittle? You might need more protein, or more moisture.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Type
    2a/F/M/i

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelee View Post
    You're not brushing it are you? The reason I ask is, it really looks like it's been brushed and when you brush curls they go haywire!

I'm not sure if the line is damage or just where your waves start (I've seen lots of curly haired girls and guys where the curls start partway down the head, I think it's a certain hairtype that does that.)

Overnight oiling is a good idea. Is your hair stretchy or brittle? You might need more protein, or more moisture.

Admittedly I do brush; I know you're not supposed to brush wavy hair, but when I try different methods like scrunching with gel, my hair just kinda mats up and doesn't want to cooperate. Some parts get more wavy, other parts stay kinda straight. It ends up looking crunchy and messy. It's just my hair seems to tangle a lot no matter what I do. When I leave it alone, it still looks frizzy like that. I'll try using my wide toothed comb and see if it makes a difference, though. It's what I bought it for!

Kind of a conundrum! But when I run my hands down my hair the top part feels shiny and smooth, and where the waves start and that supposed demarcation line, it's all frizzy, rough, dry, brittle, etc.

If it has been bleached twice in six months it will be dry.
    With waves and curls they bounce up when they are moisturised enough so this will be why when you try to scrunch some takes it and some doesn't.
    My hair used to be the same kind of texture as yours years ago so I do understand your frustration. As mine grew it became curlier over the years and I now have waves, curls and ringlets too.

Definitely don't brush it and go for that comb but I would comb as little as possible if I were you.
    I don't use either and just fingercomb mine but mine is way curlier now than yours is.

It's gonna need some babying and I agree with Kaelee about overnight oiling as it really helps. I would do this about once a week at the moment to give your hair a boost.

I'm not all that hot on when hair needs protein but I 'think' it's something that is good for dyed hair.. I'm sure someone will come along and confirm that..from what i know but i would think a protein treatment once a month would also help.

I'd stay away from any heat just now and don't frazzle it more by straightening it. Just let it air dry.

Something else you could try is conditioner only washing - for me it has greatly improved the moisture content of my hair and I now rarely need overnight oilings.

Also, I don't think it looks as bad as you think it does so I would let it grow and just see how it gets on as it can be helped and feel liveable with. Mine was dried out and frazzled and much frizzier than yours is a year ago and I did have some colour growing out plus mine always gets lightened by the sun.

Give it some lovin'!

Type
    1b/F/M/ii

My hair is a lot like that but APL. It usually goes like that after a brush it or if i'm in a rush and have to use a hair dryer, recently my hair has been going wavy (largely since i started using tea tree alberto balsam) and now when i get out of the shower i leave it - don't even comb/brush it and i get decent waves, it's when i brush it, it goes like that so i'm not using a brush so much any more and my hair's relaxing more.
    Washing my hair at night i don't comb it until the morning now, if i brush it, it goes wavy again once the wind has got to it a little

Length
    */*/*
    Type
    2b/C/iii

I'm going to echo try moisturizing, protein, no brushing advice. Also really try to avoid heat styling to manage the damage as it just causes more. Plus your hair is getting to lengths where you can start doing different updos which may help you feel less blah about it up.

My hair is wavey/curly but bleach damage on my length makes it not curl/wave nicely/conistantly enough yet to make using curly girl methods worth it. So I'm going to suggest you stop the gel (which ifit contains alcohol can dry out your hair more) till you figure out what your length needs to have the moisture/protein balance your hair needs. Try clarifying to see if some of the frizz is build up from the gel, my hair frizzes out on the ends with any amount of build up. It can also help you figure out if you need moisture or protein.
    Enjoying Short HairLong hair will return eventually

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3a/F/M/iii

Yep, use that comb! It'll make a tremendous difference, and don't worry about using a jell cast just yet. Have you tried out SMTs yet? They should really help with the dryness you're experiencing.

Also, you can continue growing your hair whilst trimming, if you are taking proper care of it, it shouldn't object too much!
    "I stopped cutting it when my true love went off to the Crusades and I vowed not to cut it or talk about it until they get back."
    Quote from Kat's mother, one that deserves to be used over and over!