Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air Travel & Hair Sticks

Length
    ~WL/BCL/TBL+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Air Travel & Hair Sticks

I checked through the archives and am looking for a bit more current info. Has anyone recently travelled by air and either worn a hair stick or had one or more in their carry-on? We won't have a checked bag for the first flight. I see both knitting needles and crochet hooks are allowed so at least I can take my crochet. My hair sticks would be about the length of a crochet hook. TIA
    SL-->APL-->BSL-->MBL-->WL-->HL-->BCL-->TBL-->CL--->
    ~~~~~
    I henna!

Length
    CBL/TBL/-
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default Re: Air Travel & Hair Sticks

When I flew frequently I had no trouble. I didn't wear them because I'm paranoid, but I would (sneakily?) put them with any writing implements I was carrying on.
    Caution: LHC-itis may become terminal.
    https://zestylonghair.wordpress.com

Length
    17/42/30

I absolutely fly wearing my hairsticks (and with a few scattered in my carry on luggage for the inevitable loss of one of them). I have never encountered any problems with them and they're wood or plastic sticks. If they were metal sticks then it might be a problem but I've never been stopped. Also flown with knitting needles and knitted on the flight. No problem for me!

Length
    ?/71/Term
    Type
    2a/M/C/iii

I don't fly with hair sticks in my hair for comfort rather than security reasons. Because of this I don't think I've ever had them in my carry on. I have had some issues with my u-pins because the amount of metal in my hair was setting off the metal detector so I would not recommend a metal hair stick as that seems highly likely to be problematic.
    Princess Cerise of the Blushing Hues in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    APL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

I just flew this summer with both a hair stick in my hair, and some in my carryon. The TSA did not say anything about them.

Length
    buzz/knee+/calf
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I have flown with hair sticks many times with very few problems. I make sure to never bring metal hair sticks, only wood or resin. Sometimes the security people do an extra scan on my bun because it is so big and solid, but the stick itself has never ever been a problem for me.
    Current length: Knee+ at 56"! Next milestone is my final goal length: Upper Calf at 57-58"!
    Buzzed my head in 2010. Joined here and have been growing from Waist length at 28" since 2016

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

The TSA has never said anything about my hair uping tools, but they have always asked me to take it down. Probably sometime around classic on is when it started. But it might have been sooner.

The naughty mess says, "I plead innocent!"
    Should have kept your snaggles off the keyboard and plead the 5th.

Length
    CBL/WL/HIP
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I wear them and bring in my carry on. I have a small bun so they never ask for me to take it down.
    CBL 2015 - BCL 2019

⋆Hangin out⋆

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

I like using a fairly blunt larger diameter hairstick, nothing stabby looking. Sometimes I use a Ficcare in a braided bun, but then I take the clip out in security and put it in the bin.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

This past Summer I was asked to take down my hair and had a WEII in it. They said it was too pointy and wanted to confiscate it. I refused to leave it at that. Long story short, after they made me wait for like 10 minutes, the TSA officer got impatient because the workaround was to recall my luggage so I can check it into the baggage so she just gave me the hairstick back and asked me to go away quickly. Whatever! But next time, no wearing hairsticks on the plane for me. I will wear my plastic claw and be happy.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline