Thread: Permanent Hair Straightening Product

Default Permanent Hair Straightening Product

I'm a guy who has been growing his hair out for around 11 months. However I do not like the texture at all. It is too frizzy and curly for my liking. I've tried getting a Brazilian blowout, but was not content with the results.

Could someone recommend to me a permanent hair straightening product? I am open to take the product to a stylist to ensure proper application too. Thanks.

Length
    MBL/MBL/KNEE

Default Re: Permanent Hair Straightening Product

While I'm sad to hear that you're not having a good time with your natural hair texture (may I suggest you try some tips from Manes By Mell before you give up completely?) there are several different things you can try:

1. Keratin smoothing treatment
    2. Japanese straightening
    3. Avon Texture Release
    4. Lye and No-lye relaxers

Bear in mind that unless you completely damage your hair beyond the point of no repair, most of these treatments do also require the use of heat (via roller sets or flat ironing) to get your hair completely smooth, whether at the salon or at home.

These treatments should also only be professionally done, by someone with years of experience who is a licensed cosmetologist and has great reviews. Yes, you could try to do it yourself, but you're more likely to burn your hair and maybe your skin too if you're not 100% sure what you're doing.)

I hope that helps you to make the best decision for your hair goals!
    Last edited by ETJ CURLS; September 4th, 2023 at 09:22 PM. Reason: grammar
    MBL~WL~HL~TBL~ FTL~ KNEE

Length
    BSL/Waist/Undef
    Type
    1a/F/ii/iii

Default Re: Permanent Hair Straightening Product

Since you didn't provide a picture of your hair nor list your texture in your profile, I'll try to do my best but it won't be as tuned to your situation as it could be.

Honestly, straightening treatments are the hardest thing to deal with in the hair world. Stuff that's easier on the hair like keratin treatments don't last long, chemical relaxers will ruin your hair if you accidentally touch a previously processed area in a root touch up(besides making it weaker), heat styling will cause damage and doesn't hold up well to humidity... Plus Brazilian blowouts can kill you.

I'm a Brazilian and I used to be a hairstylist, so I've got double the credit to tell you to stay away from Brazilian blowouts/"botox" treatments. Requiring constant touch ups, multiple sessions to get to the texture you want(we call them "progressive blowouts" for that exact reason), breakage, loss of shine and softness etc are the smallest of the issues, as this kind of "treatment"(it really isn't) can offer serious complications to your and your stylist's health. Brazil is extremely vigilant about this and Formaldehyde, Oxoacetamide Carbocysteine and Oxoacetamide Amino Acids(Glyoxyloyl Carbocysteine and Glyoxyloyl Keratin Amino Acids), and Cysteine are forbidden by law as main straightening agents, but I cannot assure you that you're going to find a safe product elsewhere. I've even heard stories of brands AND PROFESSIONALS that will add Formaldehyde to the products. Stuff like that can cause extreme allergic reactions in the first use and awful complications(including cancers) in recurrent use. I worked in a salon where a manicurist that was stationed beside the BB expert had a loss of pregnancy and sued them bc she knew they added formaldehyde to make it stronger.
    Reminder: this doesn't happen most of the time, but still more than it should.

Depending on how long you're willing to go, get a relaxer, heat style w heat protection, or wear it in a braided hairstyle. You're probably still gonna need some heat styling any way you choose.
    @morganazoric on Ig | @morganazor on TikTok

July-december 2023 benign neglect challenge(no trimming).