Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crunchy Hair

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Question Crunchy Hair

About Three days after I wash my hair, it always starts to feel cruchey. I do a light oil once to twice a day as my hair is naturaly dry. Not every week but some times I will put in a leave in moisturiser once or twice during the week. Does any one else get this? And could this be build up or is it just normal? If I dont use anythig in my hair it will become dry, frizzy and hard to manage. It always feels good after I wash it but I can only wash it every 5 to 7 days or my hair will become very dry.

Length
    -/%/+
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Crunchy Hair

What kind of oil are you using? Some (olive, coconut and avocado) can soak in, others simply coat the shaft. Also, are you adding any moisture to your hair? Or just oil onto dry dry hair? Your hair needs moisture. Oil is not moisture. As far as washing goes, your method can have a lot to do with how your hair looks and feels. Straight shampoo? Kind? Do you condition at all? CWC? CO?

Lady Legion of the Legendary Black Beast of Castle Aaughh;
    Order of the Long Hair'd K'nnnniggits

Queen of Apathy HairColoredHair's Avatar
    Length
    short/knee/???
    Type
    1a/M/ii/iii

My guess would be too much oil. Too much oil (or oil that hasn't yet absorbed) leads to crunchy ends for me.

Perhpas misting the oil with some water would help inside of oiling twice a day?

Another culprit could be the leave-in... cones? Protein? Both could lead to some crunch.
    Fav Products: Honey and Horn Combs! Current Length: Just above knee (a 'little' trim)
    Goal: Uh... Moo!

Oil does not literally moisturize the hair in most cases, it just locks moisture in. You need to be adding moisture separately along with the oiling to ensure the hair is soaking something up versus just being coated.
    What is this leave-in moisturizer you speak of? Does it contain cones (silicone)? Those have been reported to lock moisture out in some cases, coating the hair shaft giving the illusion of health/shine.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Any chance you're using silicones, maybe a silicone serum or a silicone-laden leave-in?

While this definitely is not everyone's experience, I've found that my hair will start to feel increasingly crunchy, dry, and nasty a few days post-wash when I use silicones on it. When I wash them off and don't use more, I don't have as much of an issue this way.

Coconut oil can also be a crunchy-causing culprit for some people, often when it's applied to dry hair. However, that usually starts within a few hours of application, in my experience. If that's the case, it's worth trying a different oil and/or trying applying the oil with your hair wet (or if you get crunchies from applying to wet hair, try applying to dry hair -- it happens that direction too sometimes).
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I always use it on dry hair. Use just jojoba oil for a long time and have recently over the last few weeks started using oilve oil and coconut oil. Its made no difference. I just use plain old leave in conditioner which is silicone free. It the Giovanni leave in. I have been CO washing for a while now but 6 days ago I used shampoo. Havent used any silicone this week and it has not made any difference.

Length
    pixie/Nape/25+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

build up? oiling the hair whilst dry? both of those cause me crunchy hair. also, I've seen elsewhere that Jojoba does contain some protein. This will also cause me to get crunchy.
    I would clarify, use a light conditioner, and try applying your oils to wet/damp hair. And use less of everything for a bit until figure the culprit. Well, that's what I would do GL!
    We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves. - Dalai Lama

Bad Hair Day Faerie breezefaerie's Avatar
    Type
    1c/F/i

I definitely think the oiling is making you crunchy. Did you just switch to the new oils?

Length
    SL/Knee+/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by breezefaerie View Post
    I definitely think the oiling is making you crunchy. Did you just switch to the new oils?
    A few month ago I switched to the new oils.

Account Closed by Member Request

Hmm..my hair only gets crunchy if the conditioner contains protein... Can you please put up a list of ingredients o the products you're using?

Out of all cones, I avoid Cyclopentasiloxane or any -xane cones as they can actually dry out the hair.

If hair is crunchy, give clarifying and a nice long SMT a shot.