Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combing less .... encouraging waves?

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Combing less .... encouraging waves?

Wow, I read my OP and realised I rambled waaay too much, so here we go, take two:

I am worried that I'm combing too much and disrupting my waves. I comb to distribute leave in conditioner, then again to distribute oils, then again once my hair is dry. I use a wooden wide-ish tooth comb but I want to cut down on the amount of combing as I want to encourage my waves.

Basically, is it possible to evenly distribute condish and oils with just fingers?

Eta: I combed my hair a lot today and y hair is virually straight ...

My avatar pic is my hair after applying leave in condish and oil and combing it through afterwards.
    Last edited by sarahthegemini; August 12th, 2013 at 11:19 AM.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Combing less .... encouraging waves?

When I want to get the very best out of my waves, I comb the conditioner through in the shower, then let my hair dry naturally without combing it again, being very careful not to mess it around too much and cause tangles. Try that.

Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    When I want to get the very best out of my waves, I comb the conditioner through in the shower, then let my hair dry naturally without combing it again, being very careful not to mess it around too much and cause tangles. Try that.
    Do you mean apply leave in conditioner then comb through with a comb or your fingers? Do you apply oils? If so, how do you ensure they're applied evenly w/o combing?

Length
    Buzz/Waist/CL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Since I stopped combing my hair after washing, I've seen a huge boost in my waves! I find that combing it pulls out almost all the wave pattern and gives me frizz.

My hair is short right now, so tangles aren't so much of an issue. But I hear a lot of people have had good result detangling in the shower but then leaving it be. Have you looked at the curlygirl method?

Length
    27/32/39
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Yes, I would say do not comb after washing. Not even a little bit, not even with your fingers if you can help it. I will comb my pre-wash oiling through, then sometimes comb in the shower with conditioner in my hair, but once you do that final rinse, do not comb. You should see your waves clump together properly then.
    M/2b/ii Hip
    Her hair was long, her limbs were white, And fair she was, and free;
    And in the wind she went as light As leaf of linden-tree. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Hmm okay, I'll try not combing at all (apart from the comb through once it's dry - as I said, my hair dries weird unfortunately ) but how do I combat the leave-in products I use? As in, how do I ensure the products are evenly distributed w/o combing?

Eta: Just about to look up the CG method

Length
    27/32/39
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Definitely look up the CG method. Personally, I'd scrunch in a leave-in, but I don't use a lot of leave-in. Honestly, wait to decide on coming once it's dry. Your hair will almost certainly dry totally differently if you don't comb it after washing.
    M/2b/ii Hip
    Her hair was long, her limbs were white, And fair she was, and free;
    And in the wind she went as light As leaf of linden-tree. -J.R.R. Tolkien

Length
    pixie/26/term
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I have more waviness when I co-wash and then do a tiny bit of finger combing, I never bother to comb through conditioner or anything, I can feel that my hands are getting it around evenly.

Length
    buzz/CBL/MBL
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Combing can definitely ruin the wavy pattern. When I used to comb my hair after washing I thought I had 1b hair. As it turns out, with a little encouragement, it goes well into the 2 category. I don't worry about distributing everything evenly cause IMO, it's really impossible and if I miss a spot today, next time I'll most definitely hit it..

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

Take your leave in, rub it in your palms so it's all over your hands, then smooth lightly over your hair and scrunch it in. Same with oil. Perfect distribution really doesn't matter all that much. I'd do it upside down if you can, then turn gently upright. You may see a good enough wave pattern that you won't need to comb when it's dry. Dry combing will pull out a lot of wave. I used to be able to comb my hair into about 2a/b waves, although I don't know if I could do it any more because my curl pattern is much stronger since I started doing CG. I probably could with time, oil, and a lot of combing.