PDA

View Full Version : Dry shampoo

Shouldalistened
August 29th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Hi all, I'm a newbie on here so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I basically wanted to know if dry shampoo is particularly bad for your hair??

I'm going to attemp to keep my hair up for the next year so as to minimilize damage and I also don't want to wash so much so I would like to dry shampoo it in between washes as I'm not a fan of the slick back look, however if dry shampoo is bad for the hair then it will be a not go as my main goal is to grow my hair to classic and get it into good condition while doing so.

Anyone had much experience??

I've previously used it and didn't find anything bad about it, but I've only used it a few times.

Shouldalistened
August 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi all, I'm a newbie on here so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I basically wanted to know if dry shampoo is particularly bad for your hair??

I'm going to attemp to keep my hair up for the next year so as to minimilize damage and I also don't want to wash so much so I would like to dry shampoo it in between washes as I'm not a fan of the slick back look, however if dry shampoo is bad for the hair then it will be a not go as my main goal is to grow my hair to classic and get it into good condition while doing so.

I've previously used it and didn't find anything bad about it, but I've only used it a few times.

BTW I have put in a search for dry shampoo but no threads come up.

rtree721
August 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I have never used dry shampoo but I do use baby powder if my roots get greasy. I have also heard of using baking soda or corn starch. These are just some options if you are worried about the ingredients in a dry shampoo. I would imagine it is all ok in moderation.

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 09:57 AM

Dry shampoo should be used sparingly, only when there is no other way around the problem (usually to soak up excess oil).

Your hair will fare better using a gentle shampoo once a week. Once your hair has become accustomed to the weekly shampooing schedule, you can then begin to start trying to stretch your washes.

In between shampooing, you can keep your hair clean by brushing it daily with a clean brush.

Also, the less stuff you put on your hair, the less chance for the hair to pick up stuff from the air...lint, etc.

Dry shampoo usually requires more washing to get it out.

Shouldalistened
August 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Dry shampoo should be used sparingly, only when there is no other way around the problem (usually to soak up excess oil).

Your hair will fare better using a gentle shampoo once a week. Once your hair has become accustomed to the weekly shampooing schedule, you can then begin to start trying to stretch your washes.

In between shampooing, you can keep your hair clean by brushing it daily with a clean brush.

Also, the less stuff you put on your hair, the less chance for the hair to pick up stuff from the air...lint, etc.

Does it need to be a BBB or any brush, only normally when I brush my hair it becomes even greasier??

Shouldalistened
August 29th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Does it need to be a BBB or any brush, only normally when I brush my hair it becomes even greasier??

Also when you say stretch my washes, how long do you mean and a week is a stretch as it is for me, I usually can't go more than three days without the grease kicking in.

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM

If that is the case, then perhaps your scalp tends towards oiliness?

I prefer natural boar bristle brushes (no plastic) because they mimic the hair's natural structure.

If you prefer to not brush, then combing might help. But overall I think stretching washes for people with oily hair is not a good idea.

Dry shampoo cleans by means of friction and should only be relied upon when there is no other remedy. It is far gentler to use a shampoo created for oily hair..and use it once a week..than to mess with dry shampoo.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

Anlbe
August 29th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I use dry shampoo quite a bit. My hair's brittle and damages very easily so I wash as little as possible. Using dry shampoo enables me to stretch from washing once a week to once every nine days which is great! As I only brush or comb when absolutely necessary, I don't use a brush with dry shampoo I just put it in at the roots and use my fingertips to distribute it. The dry shampoo soaks up the oil but I don't really work that hard at getting the particles out, they wash out extremely easily.
Most things damage my hair, basically everything other than hairsticks and silk ribbons, but dry shampoo has never done any harm. My favourite is klorane nettle dry shampoo.

Shouldalistened
August 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
If that is the case, then perhaps your scalp tends towards oiliness?

I prefer natural boar bristle brushes (no plastic) because they mimic the hair's natural structure.

If you prefer to not brush, then combing might help. But overall I think stretching washes for people with oily hair is not a good idea.

Dry shampoo cleans by means of friction and should only be relied upon when there is no other remedy. It is far gentler to use a shampoo created for oily hair..and use it once a week..than to mess with dry shampoo.

Your mileage may vary, of course!

Yes I think the problem is I use a shampoo with keratin and it seems to make my hair a lot greasier than any other shampoo. I also had a situation a few months back where I was trying to wash some colour out of my hair and therefor was washing my hair every day and don't think that has helped at all.

Perhaps if I stretch to one wash per week it will become less greasy over time.

I'm a stay at home mum so I don't go out all that often and I guess if it's somewhere that I need to look presentable then I will spray the dry shampoo.

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Also when you say stretch my washes, how long do you mean and a week is a stretch as it is for me, I usually can't go more than three days without the grease kicking in.

I see. Well, then, stretching wouldn't work for you I'm afraid.

You might be able to get away with an an extra day if you tried the "sock" method of eliminating oil. Dr. George Michael, in his book, recommends putting a white cotton sock over a hairbrush, then "brushing" it down the scalp and hair to soak up the oil. I've never tried it since my scalp is dry.

I'd also try and find a shampoo that didn't contain keratin. I think it is more important to protect your hair's keratin by eating properly and using gentle shampoos and conditioners and not by adding more keratin into the bargain.

Your scalp's acid mantle ph might be affected by keratin products and it isn't in your hair's best interest to have a scalp that is not as "natural" as can be.

Shouldalistened
August 29th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I see. Well, then, stretching wouldn't work for you I'm afraid.

You might be able to get away with an an extra day if you tried the "sock" method of eliminating oil. Dr. George Michael, in his book, recommends putting a white cotton sock over a hairbrush, then "brushing" it down the scalp and hair to soak up the oil. I've never tried it since my scalp is dry.

I'd also try and find a shampoo that didn't contain keratin. I think it is more important to protect your hair's keratin by eating properly and using gentle shampoos and conditioners and not by adding more keratin into the bargain.

Your scalp's acid mantle ph might be affected by keratin products and it isn't in your hair's best interest to have a scalp that is not as "natural" as can be.

Very wise, I've learned so much in the last few days since I've joined LHC

shutterpillar
August 29th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I think Madora has given some very good advice.

I try to stay away from dry shampoo. The alcohol in it scares me. :couch:

Bianca
August 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I have tried dry shampoo and I dont really like how it makes my hair feel. Sticky and greasy feeling, but only slightly less greasy looking. Dont know about damage. But I dont think its good for the hair, but neither is washing it too often :)

Iolanthe13
August 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
I don't really know if dry shampoo itself is damaging. It hasn't caused me any trouble, but if you do use it, make sure you don't get the kind that has hairspray in it. I bought Batiste Extra Volume (or similar) once and my hair felt like it was glued together!

I have an oily scalp too, and dry shampoo helped me to stretch from daily washing to every four or five days. Eventually I didn't really need the dry shampoo.

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I use the suave dry shampoo on my bangs this summer to absorb sweat I liked it. You do have a white chalk like residue if you get carried away.