PDA

View Full Version : Ack! It...worked!

Perididdle
August 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
There were two things I always was though wouldn't work for me -- first, going no 'cones, because my hair is easily frizzed, so I thought that it would just never work. Second, was ACV, because just the thought of vinegar's smell makes me gag a little.

Weeelllll...last night I decided to give it all a go. I had to clarify my hair after a bad leave-in experiment and so I went to town with some Panetene ICE Shine, since it doesn't have any silicones or parabens. Then I glooped on some Tresemme Naturals conditioner and clipped it up for the rest of my shower. I finished it off with an experiment I was not excited about...an ACV rinse, quietly hoping it wouldn't work so I wouldn't have to smell it for any longer than I needed to. :rolleyes:

Put in just a tiny bit more conditioner in wet hair and then I put on moderate amount of HennaSooq's Cocoveda oil on my length, then slid just the remains over my crown. I had to go to bed before everything was totally dry, but...aaack! It looks so nice! Everything is shiny and soft to touch, my curls made an effort to happen, and even the top of my head isn't *too* frizzy! I admit it's still a bit of a mess, but I've never had all of these things happen at once under one routine.

And now, hoooow am I supposed to keep up with ACV rinses in a sorority house, hmm? Sigh...

I just need to find something that will define and tame my curls so I can actually wear them in public. Still working on that. But...ahh! The experiments kinda worked! I had to tell someone, and I knew you guys would care more than all my FB friends. :D

JuliaDancer
August 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
That's great! ACV makes my hair softer too! However, I have a terrible sense of smell, so it doesn't bother me at all. I dilute it with cold filtered water from the fridge, and I think it gives my hair some extra shine.

raingirl
August 29th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Glad it worked for you! I'm too scared to try ACV but I may try it eventually. I just don't understand how it could work? I imagine dry tangled hair after!

Also.... :confused: I thought Ice Shine did have cones?

vanillabones
August 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Ice Shine DOES have cones... I use it all the time for this reason, haha. Cone city.

Perididdle
August 29th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Maybe it's just the shampoo? Because mine even says "Silicone Free, Dye Free, Paraben Free" right on the label. =P

ETA: @Raingirl -- I had the same exact thought! I was like, "Are you kidding me?!" the first time I read about it. When you pour it on (I mixed just two very short pours into about 16oz of water), there's a shocking amount of slip that you can feel on your hair. I expected a very acid feel, for some reason, but it definitely felt more like conditioner. Rinsing it out, it does feel a bit more dry/tangly (part of this was because I was contorting myself and flipping my hair around so I didn't pour it onto or rinse it off onto my own body...hate the vinegar smell!), but not horribly so. I threw the extra conditioner on to counteract some of the squeaky feeling I was getting and it worked perfectly. And once dry, the hair definitely feels different...but not in a particularly bad way. Definitely smoother!

HairySherry
August 29th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Yay! I need to try an ACV rinse too (although I plan to use White Vinegar after reading another thread where people preferred it over ACV). The smell doesn't bother me, I just never have the dang time to do as much as I want with my hair. I should probably start washing it at night, but I don't like the thought of waking up with slept-on flat, limp hair (which is what my hair does when I go to bed while it's still wet).

You've inspired me to experiment with my shampoo/conditioner routine a bit more since I've been playing it safe lately. I can't seem to get it right - my hair is either too limp and "oily" feeling (when I tried CO) or not conditioned enough or feels nice but has no volume... *sigh* Experimentation, experimentation, I suppose. But it's nice to see some positive results! (even if they're someone else's) ;)

Perididdle
August 29th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Yay! I need to try an ACV rinse too (although I plan to use White Vinegar after reading another thread where people preferred it over ACV). The smell doesn't bother me, I just never have the dang time to do as much as I want with my hair. I should probably start washing it at night, but I don't like the thought of waking up with slept-on flat, limp hair (which is what my hair does when I go to bed while it's still wet).

You've inspired me to experiment with my shampoo/conditioner routine a bit more since I've been playing it safe lately. I can't seem to get it right - my hair is either too limp and "oily" feeling (when I tried CO) or not conditioned enough or feels nice but has no volume... *sigh* Experimentation, experimentation, I suppose. But it's nice to see some positive results! (even if they're someone else's) ;)

I hate sleeping on my hair, too. I actually changed my whole schedule in high school to wash my hair and give it time to dry before bed -- I was straightening it, but the point still stood. My hair gets...really gunky and weird when I sleep on it soaking wet. Try taking a shower in the early evening, maybe right before dinner, so you have time for it to air dry!

Oh goodness, I'm glad I've inspired someone even when I'm just barely figuring out what I need. :D I still feel at a loss with my hair because of these curls not knowing what to do, but this really was an improvement. I have about four different sets of S&C in my shower from all the experimentation I've been doing, annnnd even more under the sink. Oops...

raingirl
August 29th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Are you talking about the Ice Shine shampoo or conditioner?

Perididdle
August 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
The shampoo! Sorry I wasn't clear, I "clarified" with just the shampoo and then used the Tresemme conditioner.

raingirl
August 29th, 2012, 08:22 AM
The shampoo! Sorry I wasn't clear, I "clarified" with just the shampoo and then used the Tresemme conditioner.

Ahhh....that makes way more sense! I was so confused! Yes, the Ice Shine shampoo is a clarifying one so I totally get it now. :)

Anje
August 29th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Neat!

Maybe you can try lemon juice or citric acid rinses instead of ACV if the smell bothers you?

HairySherry
August 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I hate sleeping on my hair, too. I actually changed my whole schedule in high school to wash my hair and give it time to dry before bed -- I was straightening it, but the point still stood. My hair gets...really gunky and weird when I sleep on it soaking wet. Try taking a shower in the early evening, maybe right before dinner, so you have time for it to air dry!

Oh goodness, I'm glad I've inspired someone even when I'm just barely figuring out what I need. :D I still feel at a loss with my hair because of these curls not knowing what to do, but this really was an improvement. I have about four different sets of S&C in my shower from all the experimentation I've been doing, annnnd even more under the sink. Oops...

Yes, I think I'm going to have to accept the fact that some additional evening showers are going to have to be part of my repertoire if I'm going to do all the stuff I want to do to my hair. I need to suck it up, though, because I'm sure it will be worth it. And yes, I'm inspired to get that "omg my hair feels great!" moment for myself!! :D

PetuniaBlossom
August 29th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah, good going. LHC has really inspired me to experiment with lots of new things, so have fun with it.
I use the diluted white vinegar for my rinse. The smell doesn't bother me, and it's gone by the time my hair is dry. Sometimes I'll add a few drops of lavender EO to it, so that might handle the smell issue for you.