PDA

View Full Version : Can a bad reaction to new shampoo really happen this quickly?

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I've just changed shampoo/condish because although my usual ones are great for my hair (Organix) it seems to be causing acne on both me and my H. I have quite fussy hair at the moment (no sulphates, no protein, must be super moisturising) so I eventually settled on Dr Organic Argan Oil shampoo/condish.

I used this for the first time yesterday and first of all I lost a huge amount of hair in the shower. I used to wonder how people knew if they were shedding a lot, I now know that it's just plain obvious :lol: Second of all I noticed a slight prickly/mild burning sensation on my scalp which is still there today.

Could it really disagree with me that badly? The prickliness I can see could happen instantly but that much hair loss the first time I used it? It was a massive hairball, the sort of size I would normally expect to lose over the course of a week, the shedding has continued today too though at a lower rate. What mechanism could cause this?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I do plan to go and get something new today, thank goodness we have a great health food store that stocks lots of different ranges of shampoo/condish. I need the next thing to work, this is driving me crazy now, surely I don't have to choose between good skin and good hair!

Amber_Maiden
August 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM
I think the shedding might not have anything to do with. I think would take more than one use to do that.

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I think the shedding might not have anything to do with. I think would take more than one use to do that.

Thanks. Yes that's what I thought, the timing does seem coincidental but I couldn't think of any mechanism that could cause that much shedding from a single use. I think I need to try something else then come back to it in a couple of weeks and see if it happens again.

spidermom
August 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Try putting a little dot of shampoo on your inner arm near the elbow, see if you get a reaction. Any person can be allergic or sensitive to any substance, and that might be the problem.

MonaMayfair
August 29th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Well I've certainly heard (or rather read) of other people saying that some shampoos make their hair shed more than others (hasn't happened to me, but I get shedding from other causes (hormonal, due to thyroid) so I know exactly what you mean when you say you can TELL when your hair is shedding abnormally.

If it were me, and my scalp was also burning/tingling/itching after using a shampoo, I wouldn't use it again.
My shedding is always accompanied by those symptoms.

cooklaezo13
August 29th, 2012, 07:28 AM
I've also had issues with hair products giving me acne, but I could never figure out what exact ingredient caused it. Good luck to you!! I hope you get this sorted out soon.

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Try putting a little dot of shampoo on your inner arm near the elbow, see if you get a reaction. Any person can be allergic or sensitive to any substance, and that might be the problem.

Good idea, thanks.

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Oh more replies! Thank you :)

magicatt
August 29th, 2012, 08:06 AM
As someone who is quite allergic to shampoo these days and had issues with Organix myself, are you sure that it's acne and not hives? My hives look like acne but they itch. I'm not sure that shedding could happen that quickly so that might be coincidental. If you're concerned, you can always try another shampoo or you can take the wait and see approach and see if it keeps happening.

renia22
August 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
That has happened to me. I still haven't quite figured out what ingredient/ ingredients exactly I am allergic or react to, but if I try something that doesn't sit well with me, I get the immediate increase in shedding (it's happened to me with Lush shampoo bars, Aubrey Organics shampoos, Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo to name a few). I have heard people say shampoo does not do that and the reaction wouldn't be that fast, but in my experience it can and it does. spidermom's idea of testing it on your arm is a good one. When that happens to me, though, I stop using the product, as I don't have hair to spare :/. (although a few times I have experimented, used a shampoo that my hair is okay with, went back to one that I thought increased shedding & sure enough..more shedding. I have even counted the hairs & done side by side comparisons & have seen a significant difference in the amounts of hairs lost with different shampoos)

MonaMayfair
August 29th, 2012, 09:10 AM
That has happened to me. I still haven't quite figured out what ingredient/ ingredients exactly I am allergic or react to, but if I try something that doesn't sit well with me, I get the immediate increase in shedding (it's happened to me with Lush shampoo bars, Aubrey Organics shampoos, Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo to name a few). I have heard people say shampoo does not do that and the reaction wouldn't be that fast, but in my experience it can and it does. spidermom's idea of testing it on your arm is a good one. When that happens to me, though, I stop using the product, as I don't have hair to spare :/. (although a few times I have experimented, used a shampoo that my hair is okay with, went back one that I thought increased shedding & sure enough..more shedding. I have even counted the hairs & done side by side comparisons & have seen a significant difference in the amounts of hairs lost with different shampoos)

I've definitely read posts where people say exactly this. A shed from something internal (medication, hormones, stress etc) will happen around 3 months after the event, but a shed due to some external source seems liable to happen immediately.

didrash
August 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Hm, I don't know - I got a really massive shed that lasts for 3 months now, right after using a chemical dye - it was only used once too. I think it is possible.

Alvrodul
August 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM
If you are allergic to something in that shampoo, it is quite probable that the reaction comes that fast. And allergies can be dangerous, so you should definitely check it out.
Follow spidermom's suggestion to find out if you are allergic - and if you do get a reaction, get rid of the shampoo!

Bianca
August 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
I recently reacted to a shampoo too. Right away. It was giovanni tea tree oil. It started burning at the back of my neck and I have red circles on my skin around my hair line. Quite big too. I actually used it a couple times before that, but didn't think it was the shampoo till last time when the burning had gotten worse and the rash also. Its a shame. I quite liked what it did to my hair :)

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM
As someone who is quite allergic to shampoo these days and had issues with Organix myself, are you sure that it's acne and not hives? My hives look like acne but they itch. I'm not sure that shedding could happen that quickly so that might be coincidental. If you're concerned, you can always try another shampoo or you can take the wait and see approach and see if it keeps happening.

Definitely acne, complete with white heads etc. I get hives when I eat strawberries and they look quite different (on me at least).

I did try another shampoo, that's the one that's given me a burning sore scalp.

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 09:29 AM
That has happened to me. I still haven't quite figured out what ingredient/ ingredients exactly I am allergic or react to, but if I try something that doesn't sit well with me, I get the immediate increase in shedding (it's happened to me with Lush shampoo bars, Aubrey Organics shampoos, Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo to name a few). I have heard people say shampoo does not do that and the reaction wouldn't be that fast, but in my experience it can and it does. spidermom's idea of testing it on your arm is a good one. When that happens to me, though, I stop using the product, as I don't have hair to spare :/. (although a few times I have experimented, used a shampoo that my hair is okay with, went back to one that I thought increased shedding & sure enough..more shedding. I have even counted the hairs & done side by side comparisons & have seen a significant difference in the amounts of hairs lost with different shampoos)

I'm sorry to hear you've had similar problems. It's interesting that it does seem to happen immediately though, I may try it again in a week although the burning scalp is probably enough not to want to bother!

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone. Based on what you've all said about allergies I'm going to try out SPidermom's suggestion but won't be using the shampoo again, particularly as I do have some quite serious allergies (all food related though I rarely react to toiletries/cosmetics).

In a small update I trawled the city centre (it's not big!) looking for something new to try. I can't believe how few products there are that are suitable. My only real requirements are no sulphates (cause eczema) and no protein (hair goes crazy). I only don't use L'Oreal or The Body Shop (Nestle). I eventually stumbled across a Soap & Glory shampoo/condish, I almost missed it because they were in the S&G specific section in Boots, not in the haircare section. I could hardly believe it but no sulphates and no protein! It was on 3 for so I got both the regular and the intensive conditioner to try.

Fingers crossed!

Ps. These if you haven't heard of them:

http://www.soapandglory.com/products/bath-body/hair-care

moxamoll
August 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
I can frame arguments in my mind both for and against shampoo causing an immediate shed... and I don't know enough to tell which is correct. If people say they've experienced it, I wouldn't refute them based on my knowledge.

What does occur to me to wonder is - if the consistency of the shampoo was different, maybe you scrubbed or manipulated your scalp harder or more than usual and that led to the shed? Just a thought.

But the tingling could definitely happen immediately! I third ( or fourth?) spidermom's testing suggestion. But it sounds like you need to try something else.

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I can frame arguments in my mind both for and against shampoo causing an immediate shed... and I don't know enough to tell which is correct. If people say they've experienced it, I wouldn't refute them based on my knowledge.

What does occur to me to wonder is - if the consistency of the shampoo was different, maybe you scrubbed or manipulated your scalp harder or more than usual and that led to the shed? Just a thought.

But the tingling could definitely happen immediately! I third ( or fourth?) spidermom's testing suggestion. But it sounds like you need to try something else.

My hair was more tangly while washing so that could definitely explain it.

Oh and to add insult to injury my hair is hideous today, so dry, tangly and full of splits/white dots. I think it's fair to say I do not recommend this shampoo/condish :lol:

I've now bought something new and I'm sat with the burny shampoo applied to my inner elbow, I can definitely "feel" it there so there is at least a mild reaction going on. I suspect it's one/some of the essential oils, it contains loads.

Kaelee
August 29th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Yep! My mom washed her hair with a new shampoo and her scalp was peeling. Not flaking, PEELING. Huge dandruff chunks. :( It looked horrible.

She switched shampoos and it cleared up just like that.

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Yep! My mom washed her hair with a new shampoo and her scalp was peeling. Not flaking, PEELING. Huge dandruff chunks. :( It looked horrible.

She switched shampoos and it cleared up just like that.

Your poor mum, how awful!

Well the patch test isn't producing any obvious visual signs of a reaction but it was pretty prickly/burny when applying so I think I'll play safe and not use this shampoo again. I think I can probably return it.

I'm going to try the new one tonight so will report back on that. I need to sit on my hands for a bit too, having snipped away tonnes of new splits and frazzled bits I'm this > < close to hacking a few inches off my hair :shudder:

renia22
August 29th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Based on what you've all said about allergies I'm going to try out SPidermom's suggestion but won't be using the shampoo again, particularly as I do have some quite serious allergies (all food related though I rarely react to toiletries/cosmetics).

In a small update I trawled the city centre (it's not big!) looking for something new to try. I can't believe how few products there are that are suitable. My only real requirements are no sulphates (cause eczema) and no protein (hair goes crazy). I only don't use L'Oreal or The Body Shop (Nestle). I eventually stumbled across a Soap & Glory shampoo/condish, I almost missed it because they were in the S&G specific section in Boots, not in the haircare section. I could hardly believe it but no sulphates and no protein! It was on 3 for so I got both the regular and the intensive conditioner to try.

Fingers crossed!

Ps. These if you haven't heard of them:

http://www.soapandglory.com/products/bath-body/hair-care

It is a pain finding something suitable! Here in the US, I have found Curelle (Canadian) & Magick Botanicals (United States), but I have to order them on-line. Also, I have heard different opinions about food allergies (like some people with celiacs saying gluten is okay in bath & body products while others avoid it completely), but I wonder about that. My intolerances are soy, yeast and wheat, and I have noticed even 'sensitive' products oftentimes contain soy or wheat protein or a few other questionable ingredients, so I hesitate to try those. Have you tried Green People? That's UK based brand that gets good ratings. I think it's sulfate free but I'm not sure about the protein. We have Soap & Glory here in the US but I have not tried that one. makeupalley.com might have reviews on it. Good luck with it!

renia22
August 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I've definitely read posts where people say exactly this. A shed from something internal (medication, hormones, stress etc) will happen around 3 months after the event, but a shed due to some external source seems liable to happen immediately.

Yes I have experienced shedding from both internal & external sources and have heard others say the same thing. It's interesting reading reviews of products too. When you hear people mentioning shedding over and over, I think there is something to it. Also after a while, when something is wrong, you sort of just 'know' (new product= more shedding=something is not right here)

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 11:12 AM
It is a pain finding something suitable! Here in the US, I have found Curelle (Canadian) & Magick Botanicals (United States), but I have to order them on-line. Also, I have heard different opinions about food allergies (like some people with celiacs saying gluten is okay in bath & body products while others avoid it completely), but I wonder about that. My intolerances are soy, yeast and wheat, and I have noticed even 'sensitive' products oftentimes contain soy or wheat protein or a few other questionable ingredients, so I hesitate to try those. Have you tried Green People? That's UK based brand that gets good ratings. I think it's sulfate free but I'm not sure about the protein. We have Soap & Glory here in the US but I have not tried that one. makeupalley.com might have reviews on it. Good luck with it!

Unfortunatley Green People shampoos contain Sodium COco-Sulphate :( That's an interesting point about allergies though.

See below:

http://longhair.livejournal.com/2356788.html

renia22
August 29th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Unfortunatley Green People shampoos contain Sodium COco-Sulphate :( That's an interesting point about allergies though.

See below:

http://longhair.livejournal.com/2356788.html

Good to know!! Glad I didn't spend $27 on it, then, haha. See, it is a pain, you have to be the ingredient police!

palaeoqueen
August 29th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Good to know!! Glad I didn't spend $27 on it, then, haha. See, it is a pain, you have to be the ingredient police!

Absolutely! I'm learning a lot from being on here, also googling took me to this really useful page:

http://www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients/sodium_coco-sulfate

renia22
August 29th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Absolutely! I'm learning a lot from being on here, also googling took me to this really useful page:

http://www.tightlycurly.com/ingredients/sodium_coco-sulfate

Perfect, thank you. Interesting "salt" (sodium chloride) happens to be in a lot of the shampoos I was having problems with and it's under the "avoid" category..hmmmm

templeofvenus
August 29th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I am terribly sensitive to shampoos even so called mild ones!! they cause a rash on my forehead hairline and it creeps onto my forehead gradually if I keep using any offending one - this can happen gradually over a few days use. The only ones I can use are E45 shampoo or head and shoulders classic clean (odd i know as this is always given bad press for being harsh but not for my skin/hair) I tend to stick to the E45 or head and shoulders and vary the conditioner which I only apply to the lengths and ends ensuring it doesn't touch my facial area and therefore I am usually ok with conditioners :confused: hope you get your problem sorted it can be trial and error finding one that you can use!