PDA

View Full Version : How is growth after cutting damage off?

Mya
August 29th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Hello! :blossom:

During the last few months I've left my hair alone (while babying it), figuring I would get rid of the damage by trimming once every few months. I thought "my hair is going to grow anyway, so why lose length now that I'm eager to reach BSL+ and get out of this awkward stage?".

I was disappointed when I noticed that a good part of the growth of this month went lost due to breakage.

Problem is my ends are too damaged: they are relaxed and don't curl anymore, tangle and constantly break, even if I manage to make them look decent with S&D and mineral oil plus shea butter. To get rid of the worst, I should cut at least two or three inches.

My question is: does hair grow better and faster after getting rid of the damage?

I want to know if it's worth it, I mean: my hair is growing slow because of damage and will reach a certain goal withing a certain time. If I cut it, will it take noticeably less time to reach that goal? Or will it take just the same?

What's your opinion? Did any of you experience to cut your damage off and how was your growth afterwards?

JuliaDancer
August 29th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Your hair will not grow faster from cutting it, BUT you may prevent damage (like splits) from traveling up the hair shaft, which will enable your hair to grow without breaking as much. This is what leads to the myth about hair growing faster when you cut it. If your hair is very damaged, you may be better off cutting it.

longhairedleah
August 29th, 2012, 07:05 AM
It sounds to me like you need to cut that few inches off. If your hair isn't getting longer because of the breakage, that will not improve. Reaching your goal will probably be easier if you cut off some damage, even though it feels like you're going backwards...

Good luck!

spidermom
August 29th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I don't know the mechanism of it, but in my experience YES, you do gain length faster if you get rid of damaged ends.

When I joined in 2005, I had about 6 inches of damaged ends from heat styling. I decided that I would get one inch cut off every 3 months so that I could keep my length. So I had an inch cut off, and 3 months after that my length had increased only 3/4 of an inch. Plus I was sick of fighting with Velcro ends every day, so I got the remaining 5 worst inches cut off. My hair grew 1-1//4 inch in only 2-3 weeks after that. Now of course I don't know if it was the cut that caused the growth spurt or what, but it happened. My growth tends to average out at about 2/3 inch per month.

HairySherry
August 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM
In my personal experience, it seems like my hair grows faster after a trim, but I can't say whether it actually does or if it just seems that way because my ends aren't all shriveled and gross. However, if I don't trim, my hair doesn't grow well. It grows, but it looks awful and the problems on my ends just travel farther and farther up my hair. I would advise you to trim the problem areas, that way all of your new growth will be hair you'll be able to keep. Otherwise, you may get to a certain length but half of it will be damaged and full of splits and I doubt you'd be very happy with it. I had to do the same thing myself recently. I trimmed on the 22nd and was planning just a small micro-trim, but ended up taking off almost an inch because my ends were so fried from swimming and not trimming in July. I hated to see the length go (it was all of my new growth :( ) but my hair looks so much better for it. I might have slightly longer hair if I'd only cut off 1/4" but it wouldn't look nearly as good. It's a worthwhile sacrifice, I promise! :)

spidermom
August 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
P.S: In my above narrative, I forgot to mention that the 3/4 inch length increase that I got was in the summer when my hair normally grows its fastest. That damage was really holding it back!

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
I never noticed any growth increase after trimming. However, if you want your hair to grow to a great length (and apparently you do, since you state your ultimate goal is "floor") then trimming away damage is very important. If you don't trim away the damage, then the damaged hair becomes even more damaged. Why let damaged hair grow longer, when in the end, you have to cut even more?

Also, you can help your hair growth by being pro active in how you care for it...your diet, the products you use, protecting it by wearing it up as much as you can, using a silk pillow case cover, S and Ding regularly and scalp massages.

Don't overload your hair with different kinds of oils, etc. Many times hair becomes difficult, tangly and cranky because there's too much stuff on it. "Less is more" also applies to what you put on your hair.

Growing very long hair is not just a matter of trimming, but an accumulation of many hair friendly practices. Good luck!

Simone_Fatale
August 29th, 2012, 09:07 AM
If you had a short pixie haircut, I'd advise you to trim just a little bit at a time so you don't lose much length and motivation. But since your hair is longer, it's perfectly ok to trim all the damage in one go. In the long run, you will most certainly gain more length that way. Happy growing! :)

KittyBird
August 29th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I did a big snip earlier this year, getting rid of more than 6" of damaged hair. I went from Velcro ends to soft, smooth ends, and although it was depressing to lose that much of my length, I definitely think it was worth it.
I don't think trimming has made my hair grow faster, it already grows very fast, but as others have said before, getting rid of the damage will likely help you gain length faster. If I were you, I would just cut the damaged ends off. Your hair will feel a lot nicer and healthier :)

akilina
August 29th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Butchering the subject....cutting your hair will never make it grow faster, however it will keep your hair from just growing and breaking off from the damaged ends. You will actually retain your growth because your ends will not be snapping off. So in an indirect way it will make it *appear* its growing more, when its growing the same as it ever did.
I would definitely do a little trim :)

BrightEyes
August 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I cut and colored my hair 2 weeks ago. Since then I've had 1/2 inch of growth (I usually get 1/2 inch in a month).

I did do 4 Monistat treatments in that time. So my rapid growth may be a result of the Monistat. I honestly have never noticed faster growth after a cut before. So I'm inclined to say it was Monistat in my case.

Unfortunately I won't be continuing the Monistat due to horrible headaches, shedding and an all around weird feeling when I've used it.

lapushka
August 29th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Butchering the subject....cutting your hair will never make it grow faster, however it will keep your hair from just growing and breaking off from the damaged ends. You will actually retain your growth because your ends will not be snapping off. So in an indirect way it will make it *appear* its growing more, when its growing the same as it ever did.

This. ^^ Trimming the damage off will at least not make your hair break off anymore, thus giving the illusion that it grows faster. Healthy hair tops everything. At least your hair will be more manageable.

RapunzelKat
August 29th, 2012, 04:02 PM

Yep, this! :) My stylist explained it to me the same way. The trimming doesn't increase your growth rate, but you will gain length more quickly as you're not losing hair at he ends due to breakage.

My personal experience: Several years back I had about 5 inches cut to get rid of bleach damage and layers (they were great when my hair was short, not so much when it was long). My hair "took off" after that point, because it was healthy and wasn't losing length from the ends due to breakage. :D

AcornMystic
August 29th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I'll tell you something. In the past 3 months I have cut off about 2.5-3 inches... Now.. my hair seems to be growing quite fast, about an inch a month lately, so I haven't lost much length than I had when I started, but I'll tell you now.. if I hadn't cut those inches I'd be about at APL right now. I'm still about 2.5-3 inches away. I will say though, I think my ends are thanking me for it. My first trim I did straight across (what you see in my sig) and the second, more of a V. I bit the bullet and did it again because I wanted to get rid of more layers and I'd been cutting sides of my hair trying to get that fix for getting rid of damage but maintaining my length. If I kept that up I would have ended up with a mullet. Healthy sides really damaged back ends. So a V is helping to blend it all. My hem feels so much nicer and you won't believe the confidence boost I have and my hands tend to linger on the ends now when grasping my hair and running my hands down the length.

That all I said, I think you should do it and don't try to half-ass it like I did with trims in the wrong places while trying to keep your length. With a goal of terminal, I don't regret doing it even though I silently mourn for the inability to call APL. I know in the long run though I won't have to trim as much once I reach that goal and I'll have a full hemline. It depends how healthy you want your long hair to be.

Shepherdess
August 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I agree with what everyone else is saying here, although I just can't seem to bring myself to do this. I have promised myself to trim off a few inches after I reach or pass my next goal, so hopefully I will be able to do it then.

mzBANGBANG
August 29th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I agree with several others that my hair seemed to grow faster when removing damage, more than likely because it was actually stronger -- I just kept my actual growth. Protect your ends! I do many tiny trims as opposed to a few bigger trims. About an eighth of an inch a month, sometimes more if I feel like cleaning up my hemline. I figure my hair will grow eventually, and I typically grow an inch a month. As long as I don't take off more than an inch a month, I'll make progress.

Rufflebutt
August 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Well, your hair won't grow faster but you get to keep all of the length that you grow. And the hair will feel a lot better because damage won't be traveling up the shaft.

momoftwo708
August 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM
I just cut off three inches and it's so much better and so worth it to have quality over quantity

HintOfMint
August 29th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Damage can travel up the hair shaft. An illustration--a broken and frayed bit finally tears off, but leaves another broken frayed end. Tugging from brushing, washing, general wear frays the end even more and then that finally breaks off... you see where I'm going with this? This means that, the longer you wait, the worse the damage gets.

Not everyone has damage that travels up the hair shaft due to unique structures of people's hair, but many do, including myself. Instead of having an inch to cut off due to damage, the longer I wait, the damage turns into two inches and then three.

I would honestly get rid of all the damage you can and then baby it from here on out.

jacqueline101
August 29th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I agree a small trim would be good. I had damage in the past got rid of it and my hair did better the health improved a lot.

julliams
August 29th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I have been taking monthly photos of my hair for about 2 years. I notice a significant increase in growth in the month directly after the trim but then it goes right back to normal after that. So if your hair is like mine, you will initially have more growth but it will go back to your normal growth rate pretty soon after that.

jojo
August 30th, 2012, 09:12 AM
From my past experiences I have always had a growth spurt after a biggish trim, it's almost as if my hair has a memory and needs to get back the length I've cut from. Strange but true!

Henrietta
August 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM
The "hair grows faster after a trim" is a misunderstanding. Hairs don't have nerves so the roots has no idea what's going on down, at the hemline. But, as people have already said, you may see better growth after a trim because you won't lose so much of length due to breakage.
At least that's how it works for me. I trim 0.5-1 inch every three months and I do have growth spurts sometimes, I gain length faster now, when my ends are better. Then I trim the whole growth but, well, that's temporary. In a few trims I'll get to the healthy hair area.
So, from my experience, it does work. But yes, it slows the process of reaching your goal down.

spidermom
August 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Hairs don't have nerves so the roots has no idea what's going on down, at the hemline. .

I know this is widely believed, but I don't believe it. The follicles have nerves, and I think they can sense many things, like a change in weight when hair has been cut. (and I don't care if 6 billion people tell me I'm wrong; I'll keep my own counsel) I can often feel the slightest sensation in my hair, like a tiny bug in it or somebody/something brushing by my length.

Silverbrumby
August 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Makes no difference to me.

Mya
August 30th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies. :heartbeat

I cut my hair. Five inches! A straight across cut!

It didn't feel like a lot though, since those ends were thin and they didn't really look like length to me. I like the feeling of thick, soft and silky ends. That feeling you get when you pass your fingers through them!
And not having to hide or to excessively adjust the awful ends of braids. With hair like this, I feel like I can benignly neglect it for real, since I don't have to put extra care into fried parts anymore.
I just felt it was the right thing to do, and you people helped me acknowledge it and go for it happily and with no regrets. :heartbeat

I think I will update this thread in a few months with hair progress, so it will be even more helpful to those worrying about the same specific subject.

Feel free to keep posting your experiences.

blondie9912
August 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM
I agree with spidermom. There's no scientific explanation, but I feel like I get a little extra oomph of growth after a trim. Maybe the hair re-settles into the position it was in before after a few washes, making it look longer? I honestly couldn't say. Either way, you HAVE to cut the damage off. You've acknowledged yourself that the ends have been breaking off and impeding your growth, so what do you have to lose by cutting the damage off?

Cowgirl16
August 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
I agree with what everyone else is saying here, although I just can't seem to bring myself to do this. I have promised myself to trim off a few inches after I reach or pass my next goal, so hopefully I will be able to do it then.

^^This is where I'm at. I am so close to Knee, and I'm just not ready to sacrifice the length :shrug:

Cowgirl16
August 31st, 2012, 11:30 AM
:heartbeat

Pictures of the cut! please :D

cwarren
September 1st, 2012, 11:07 AM

It didn't feel like a lot though, since those ends were thin and they didn't really look like length to me. I like the feeling of thick, soft and silky ends. That feeling you get when you pass your fingers through them!
And not having to hide or to excessively adjust the awful ends of braids. With hair like this, I feel like I can benignly neglect it for real, since I don't have to put extra care into fried parts anymore.
I just felt it was the right thing to do, and you people helped me acknowledge it and go for it happily and with no regrets. :heartbeat

Wow, I'm happy for you! That was really brave to sacrifice 5 inches.

I have stick straight damaged ends from years of flat ironing my hair at ridiculously high temperatures. I cut off 2.5 inches of the damage a month ago and I already have more than an inch of growth (which isn't normal for me).

I still have damage because, like Cowgirl16 and Shepherdess, I want to keep my length. I can't jump from a little past BSL to APL in one cut :wail: Yes, my ends are thin and yes, I have to hide them in buns but I feel better slowly cutting them off and maintaining BSL until they are healthy.

Mya
September 5th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Pictures of the cut! please :D
Here they are! :)

Before: (pic taken on August 10th, after washing and air drying, courtesy of a friend who owns a real camera)
http://s18.postimage.org/e6mqf6r2h/20120810length.jpg

After: (pic taken yesterday, after washing and air drying)
http://s17.postimage.org/uf0e2sa0v/Immag077ab.jpg

Amount of the tragedy:
http://s13.postimage.org/5izf6v0jb/Immag078b.jpg

Wow, I'm happy for you! That was really brave to sacrifice 5 inches.
That was what I thought. Then when I realized I had to cut them, it didn't feel like a sacrifice at all. It actually felt like a treat!
Thanks. :beerchug:

Cowgirl16
September 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM

Before: (pic taken on August 10th, after washing and air drying, courtesy of a friend who owns a real camera)

Amount of the tragedy:

That was what I thought. Then when I realized I had to cut them, it didn't feel like a sacrifice at all. It actually felt like a treat!

Your hair looks so good post cut! It really thickened up your ends!
Congrats it looks great :flowers:

tiarefleur
September 6th, 2012, 04:32 AM
My hair doesn't grow any faster after cutting off damage, but it retains its thickness at the ends if I do. I cut off about 6 inches in April due to damage from bleach, and I have been able to grow 4 inches of it back, minus the ratty look that it had before. If I had kept it and microtrimmed (which is a good option if your hair isn't severely damaged like mine was), my ends probably wouldn't look as good as they do now. I recently trimmed an inch because I wanted a nicer hemline (I still have some damage), but I didn't mind because I'm not too attached to my hair if it's damaged to the point where it doesn't look or feel like hair anymore...in fact I want it gone as soon as possible!

OrganicJewel
September 7th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Amount of the tragedy:

your hair looks really good after the cut, not even much shorter, just fuller!