PDA

View Full Version : I just can't cope with the tangles my hair gets itself into!

CurlyCurves
August 29th, 2012, 04:14 AM
/rant.

I am so fed up. I am sick of detangling my hair. I have to do it every day or it's so damn difficult. I only detangled yesterday and look;

(sorry the pic is so large)

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/378366_4550044269579_1720572340_n.jpg

I keep getting knots that are literally just two individual strands of hair in a knot, and I have no choice but to break it because no amount of conditioner will get it out.

I fingercomb, and it's not enough. I use my imitation TT, and it works, but when I wash the conditioner out of my hair, I see loads of little hairs in the bath! I am breaking my hair because of the tangles and I am just fed UP :(

If I am struggling with tangles at APL, then how am I going to cope at hip? :( (and it'll probs be a lot longer because of shrinkage)

Endrant/

sunshine-locks
August 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM
That must be so annoying! :o I kinda know what that's like, as even though my hair is straight, the strands are very fine so they like to tangle up in each other -.-

Maybe you could use some kind of leave in conditioner or keep your hair in a bun so it can't get so messed up? I hope you find something that helps though :blossom:

PinkyCat
August 29th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I. Heard. That.

I have very similar hair properties to yours & I have the same issue. The only thing that seems to help is to stay away from the gel, except for use as a finishing, smooth down the fuzzies product. It seems whenever I use gel throughout my wet hair, this happens terribly. I've learned to just use extra leave-in condish and coconut oil instead.

Maybe try that?

Anlbe
August 29th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Tangles suck, I suffered horribly from tangles. Jojoba oil made life a bit better for me along with staying away from brushes, washing as rarely as possible etc.... one bright point though is that it didn't get any worse when my hair got longer

CurlyCurves
August 29th, 2012, 04:55 AM
That must be so annoying! :o I kinda know what that's like, as even though my hair is straight, the strands are very fine so they like to tangle up in each other -.-

Maybe you could use some kind of leave in conditioner or keep your hair in a bun so it can't get so messed up? I hope you find something that helps though :blossom:

Yeah, I'm a F/M girl so I think that's a big contributor :(

I don't like to leave things in my hair so no leave ins for me, but bunning/having it up helps. It gets the most tangled when I do wash and gos/have it out :(

I. Heard. That.

I have very similar hair properties to yours & I have the same issue. The only thing that seems to help is to stay away from the gel, except for use as a finishing, smooth down the fuzzies product. It seems whenever I use gel throughout my wet hair, this happens terribly. I've learned to just use extra leave-in condish and coconut oil instead.

Maybe try that?

I don't use gel, hun. I don't use any leave ins at all. They seem to make it worse or coat my hair.

Tangles suck, I suffered horribly from tangles. Jojoba oil made life a bit better for me along with staying away from brushes, washing as rarely as possible etc.... one bright point though is that it didn't get any worse when my hair got longer

That's good to know. Maybe it'll be easier when it's longer. I am considering trying oils (more slip), but I cowash so not sure if it'll get the oil out properly...

AchtungCurly
August 29th, 2012, 04:58 AM
EDITED: Removed post containing useless information.

Tisiloves
August 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
In my experience conditioner gets oil out better than shampoo does. Also I find if I heavy oil my hair before CO washing it gets my hair cleaner (my theory is that the oil picks up the dirt and helps the conditioner rinse out).

CurlyCurves
August 29th, 2012, 05:01 AM
This.

The longer my hair got, the worse styling products made it. The things that were miraculous at SL-APL just shredded my hair at BSL. Obviously, YMMV, but it's worth a try.

I don't use styling products so they're a mystery to me. The only product I use is conditioner (and I wash it out, not leave it in), and the weekly clarifying shampoo.

What does YMMV mean? Always wondered!

CurlyCurves
August 29th, 2012, 05:02 AM
In my experience conditioner gets oil out better than shampoo does. Also I find if I heavy oil my hair before CO washing it gets my hair cleaner (my theory if that the oil picks up the dirt and helps the conditioner rinse out).

I may have to try the oil .. I just hate the feeling of oil in my hair. It makes it stringy. I worry I can't get it out :/

Tisiloves
August 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM
I don't use styling products so they're a mystery to me. The only product I use is conditioner (and I wash it out, not leave it in), and the weekly clarifying shampoo.

Your Milage May Vary.

ETA: At least oiling should give you nice curl definition, I just look like a skank who never washes when I oil (until I put it in a bun, then it just looks producty).

Natalia
August 29th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Im sorry your feeling fustrated i have straight hair and i get tangles like that alot as well. Id be a terrible curly i touch my hair waaaay to much i hope you find a good method to make this easier on you.

AchtungCurly
August 29th, 2012, 05:07 AM

Your Mileage May Vary.

I did edit my post after we posted at nearly the same time, and I discovered my post made no sense in your situation. :o

I'm a 5+ year cowsher - I think I shampoo maybe once every 2-3 months, and I use coconut oil regularly and no real build-up issues.

I will tell you that Kinky Curly Knot Today is my favorite leave-in that I use as a rinse-out detangler. It has amazing slip and you don't need much.

PinkyCat
August 29th, 2012, 05:26 AM
You don't use any leave-in product at all and your curls are that AWESOME?????

:thudpile::bowtome: :bowtome: :bowtome: :bowtome:

MissAlida
August 29th, 2012, 06:41 AM
The only thing that I found to work for tangles, is a white vinegar ar ACV rinse. It seals the cuticle, so individual strands won't stick to one another so easily. Just dilute 1 tbs in a cup of water and use it as a final rinse. Or you can rinse it out with water. Also, a little oil might help. And don't touch your hair. You're a curly, and the worst thing to do is comb it or brush it. Just finger comb. Curls can be a PITA sometimes. But they a preeetttty.:redgrin:

afu
August 29th, 2012, 06:46 AM
I would recommend sweet almond oil, it's great for adding slip. If you don't want to use a leave in you can always pre-oil before washing (I CO too, i never have a problem getting oil out - just put the conditioner on dry hair 10mins before getting into the shower then continue as normal)

Wildcat Diva
August 29th, 2012, 06:58 AM
What else would add slip? Someone tell me if I remember something about fenugreek. That is in my brain but I don't know if it's right...

afu
August 29th, 2012, 07:00 AM
I think catnip is also good for its detangling properties

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM

YMMV = Your mileage may vary:)

Clarifying weekly is way too much!

Clarify only when your hair needs it.

You might want to look into mineral oil (also known as baby oil) to help with the tangles. It is lightweight, rinses out easily, and also helps tame the frizzies.

You only need a few drops and works best by itself on damp hair, though it can be used on dry hair as well.

Here is Ktani's article on using MO and what it can do:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Granted, it doesn't work for everyone, but many here have benefited from it, one way or the other.

spidermom
August 29th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I've got the same problem. Every once in a great while, I get sick and tired of being so gentle with this uncooperative mop and rip out hair.

Madora
August 29th, 2012, 09:18 AM
CurlyCurves, you might want to investigate something called Silk Drops. Torrin Paige recommends it for tangles. I've never used it...but Torrin is well versed in hair care, so you might want to PM her to learn more about it.

spirals
August 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
CC, have you tried detangling spray? It might help as a spot treatment. I don't have tons of tangling issues, at least not until a couple days after I wash. I don't know if leave-in helps, but I always use leave-in conditioner and sometimes gel. But then, your curls are much tighter than mine. I did have to cut out a small knot last night. But that happens seldom, even though I'm almost waist. I don't know if leave-ins will help at your curl level, but maybe try it? Was it you that started the thread about Shea Moisture? I don't remember if it was you or curlycap. Anyway, it works well for me.

young&reckless
August 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM
The only thing that I found to work for tangles, is a white vinegar ar ACV rinse. It seals the cuticle, so individual strands won't stick to one another so easily. Just dilute 1 tbs in a cup of water and use it as a final rinse. Or you can rinse it out with water. Also, a little oil might help. And don't touch your hair. You're a curly, and the worst thing to do is comb it or brush it. Just finger comb. Curls can be a PITA sometimes. But they a preeetttty.:redgrin:

I agree! I wanted to add that there are lots of other rinses you can do that wont be leave in feeling or coat your hair like oil. Maybe a drop or two of oil in your ACv rinse or indian herbs or catnip might be right for you.

Avital88
August 29th, 2012, 09:49 AM
i deal with this everyday with my daughters hair,, i understand the pain very well! i think you just need to grow it longer so eventually you can braid it and there is less tangle risk.. at least this is what im telling my self everyday.. in a year from now i hopefully be able to braid her hair because now its still apl and the tangles are huge,i also want to add that people have no idea how hard it is to deal with truely type 3b/c hair that is fine...a few drops of oil or a detangling spray will not do anything
i'm sorry i have no advice but you are not alone

lapushka
August 29th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Even if you really dislike putting something in your hair after washing/conditioning it, I would start trying. Leave some of your conditioner in, something at least, or oil. That might work too. My guess is the tangles will be less.

ddiana1979
August 29th, 2012, 10:04 AM
My hair type is very different from yours, but I've had a lot of luck with It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product (http://www.amazon.com/Its-10-Miracle-Product-4-Ounces/dp/B000TKH6G2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346256070&sr=8-1&keywords=it%27s+a+ten+leave+in+conditioner). I don't use it like a normal leave in conditioner. . . I just spritz a little directly on the tangle to help make the strands slippery enough to easily pull apart with my fingers. It's pretty expensive, but I use so little of it, it lasts quite awhile.

dawnss
August 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I get the knots you're talking about ALL the time, over in the kinky curly forums we call them Ssk's (Single strand knots)/ So I gotta ask, what is your hair care routine?

For me personally, I cut those suckers out. Another tip, when doing any kind of manipulation to your hair make sure you take off the shed/broken off hairs off your hands, combs, or brushes. I know that mixing in that shed hair makes tangles that much worse.

Yes oil does help with slip, but your hair might need to have some kind of moisturizing product that you use after you shampoo. And than layer an oil on top of that (to seal or lock in that moisture).

I shampoo my hair in sections (I usually try to pre detangle it which means that I put oil on my hair remove all the shed hair, and then precede to detangle it). If you're interested I can send you an excellent video of washing, conditioning, and detangling curly hair (granted the poster has type four hair, but her video is great and I think her techniques will really assist you).

How do you comb your hair, do you do it in sections as well?

I should mention that when I say sections I am referring to parting your hair and clipping up unused sections (yes it is tedious but it works wonders).

I would avoid wash n go's unless your hair is properly moisturized or you have loads of oil in it, I hardly ever wear them because the tangles are that brutal.

Also,what are you using to deep condition with and how often do you do it?

This may sound strange, but I do not think that clarifying will necessarily help with this problem this isn't something that is limited to product build up, it just comes with having curly hair. Yet, I do think that shampoo or baking soda does have a place in haircare so is the shampoo that you're using too dry for your hair?

Do you have split ends, those may contribute to your skk's?

I do not have any other tips that I can offer, but if you need anything else just keep asking questions!

jeanniet
August 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Tangles are very frustrating! I don't usually get actual knots, but a few days ago I had to cut several hairs because they were knotted together and there was no way to get them apart.

Since you don't use product, you shouldn't need to clarify often. I clarify very rarely--maybe a few times a year--because I don't get much buildup even though I use a lot of product as leave-in. I do citric acid rinses, so that may help with the buildup issue. I can't remember the last time I clarified; maybe a few months ago.

I have a lot of tangling issues if I don't keep up with S & D, and also if my hair isn't well-moisturized. Splits or fairy knots cause my hair to tangle like crazy. It really isn't any worse with length, thankfully.

Two products that I highly recommend for helping with moisture and detangling are SheaMoisture's Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk and the SM Deep Treatment Masque. I think you're in the UK?--I don't know if they're available there. I use the Masque on my ends and the Milk overall as leave-ins, and also use the Masque on my ends between washes if they feel a bit dry. It has made a huge improvement in the condition and feel of my hair, and has really helped with tangles. I also use a light misting of an oil/distilled water mix when I comb my hair, just to give a little extra slip.

heidi w.
August 29th, 2012, 12:27 PM
I have a boatload of tangles in easily,10 minutes if I wear my hair down. So to tolerate all this business and get through I wear my hair up. It's easier and more professional too. Often enough I do sleep with my hair up super loose, too.

I recommend wearing updos for you. A LOT less tangles, for sure!

heidi w.

dawnss
August 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Shea Moisture has great products, just know that the Deep Treatment Masque provides NO slip, though it gives you plenty of moisture.

jeanniet
August 29th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Shea Moisture has great products, just know that the Deep Treatment Masque provides NO slip, though it gives you plenty of moisture.
I find that the combination of the milk and masque together does give me slip, although I also use the oil/water combo I mentioned earlier. But you're right, on its own the masque really doesn't have slip. The moisture, though...wonderful!

dawnss
August 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I find that the combination of the milk and masque together does give me slip, although I also use the oil/water combo I mentioned earlier. But you're right, on its own the masque really doesn't have slip. The moisture, though...wonderful!

Why oh why did you have to post this, I have been using there hair smoothie and volumizing leave in, but now I want to try the milk so that my hair can really experience the slip. All jokes aside, there conditioner bottles are way too small, my hair may only be shoulder length but it is kinky and there is way too much of it. Do you find that you only need a little bit of the product?

I would like to mention CC if you decide to try SM products, even with thick curly hair you don't need to pile on their products (at least with the smoothie and masque).

hermosamendoza
August 29th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Hi, not sure if you avoid any certain substance in your hair care products but the one I've found that I like for myself and especially for my little girl is by John Freida Daily Nourishment leave in conditioner. It sprays on like water. I spray it on my little girl's hair and scrunch it in and instantly can come right through. On mine I have to leave it in a minute after massaging it through.

Vanilla
August 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I'm also a F/M but with a lot less wave. My hair is also prone to bad tangles, especially at the nape. Mineral oil has helped a lot, and it doesn't feel like a coating on the hair. I apply about 6 drops on my BSL hair, concentrating on the nape and other tangle prone areas on my hair. It's really inexpensive, and if you dislike it on your hair, you can always use it on your skin.

CurlyCap
August 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The thing that catches my eye most bout your pic is that your hair is bare (ie, wet but with no product). My hair will ALWAYS look like that if it's wet with no product. Curly hair catches itself and tangles. It frightens the straighties, but it's just part of curly life. Even if you've just detangled it in the shower, and then move your head, it will tangle again. You cannot get ahead of the curve.

I NEVER do anything with my curls unless it's saturated with conditioner. Wet is just not enough. And by saturated I mean 1/3 or 1/2 cup of conditioner (or more!) for APL hair. And that's on a normal day, not a tangly day. On a tangling day (ie, spirals broke, I ran my hand through my hair alot, it was windy, etc), I have to co-wash once to just get clumps, and then start all over to try to tease apart the tangles. You can always choose to rinse out the conditioner after detangling if you decide to stay product free, but I doubt you can detangle reasonably on just wet hair as your hair gets longer. In fact, I even doubt you can detangle easily if you have only a small amount of conditioner (ie, a "typical" person's palmful).

Second, I finger-comb when I'm conditioner soaked and let the rest be. I may not get EVERY tangle, but it's enough for clumping and spiral formation and that's gotta be the road to sanity. Yes, pretty spirals can be made with a thorough detangling and aligning of my hair strands, but dude, it's totally not worth it on a normal day. It takes too long, and all the handling promotes breakage. I save the thorough root to tip, every clump, every strand, total alignment detangling for pictures and special occasions...and yes, that leaves more hair in the tub.

Third, as my hair grew longer, it just needed more product. When my hair was between chin and APL, I could just wash and go if I wanted. I might have gotten poofier through the day (humidity, random frizz, evil cosmic alignment), but it was doable. Now at BSL+, it's just a no go. My ends are older and they don't want to play that. So I use conditioner (no gel or aloe for me...not slippery enough). No, conditioner left in doesn't feel like bare hair. It has a tackiness, especially if you are overzealous and apply a bit too much. But the hair IS coated, and when you rinse it out later, the conditioner is there preventing the hairs catching on each other. Have you tried a really light conditioner? I ask because I know you posted using a heavier coney conditioner (Herbal Essences Hydration) for co-washing. That stuff is great for co-washing, but icky as a leave in. It is also coney and requires more frequent coney removal (more later). In my experience, the light, almost watery conditioners are the best leave-ins and since you have fine hair you can probably get away with a dime sized dollop for your entire head. For co-washing, I'd start looking for what gives you the best slip with the least build-up. Lots of curlies are raving about Tressemme Naturals (which I don't know if it's available in London). I was very skeptical, but it's really amazingly slippy with almost no build-up (cone-free).

I've noticed before that you said you ACV rinse once a week after you do your clarify and deep treatment. Have you considered doing an ACV rinse every night when you co-wash? For me, this helps smooth the follicles, which also reduces single strand knots. It doesn't eliminate them, but they are reduced. It's a simple change that may help.

Honestly, the only way to keep curly hair tangle free is to comb/brush it out, maybe with some oil, and then bun it or braid it (when it's longer). The hair can't move and therefore it can't tangle. I don' know about you, but I love my curls and so I tend to wear them out. And as a result I pay the price with daily, intense detangling, sometimes leading to a 20 minute shower. I'm also wicked fast at detangling in the shower, so if it takes me 20 minutes, it was a bad tangle day. But it happens. Also, and this is personal experience, I think the initial brushing to braid or bun the hair, even though it's a "low-damage style", causes a lot of breakage because you are unwinding the curl. The only other option is to restrain the curls every day (ie, a bun with the curls intact) and not wash every day. It will leads to less tangles because there won't be movement. Personally, I hate that. Why have curls if they have to be squished into a bun all the time?

Finally.... yeah, once a week clarifying is going to get the curls angry and tangly. It takes about a week for my hair to recover from clarifying with heavy moisture treatments throughout the week, but you are clarifying EVERY week and so I don't think the hair is getting a chance to recover...increasing your daily tangles. If you feel the need to clarify, I'd try a CWC which I've noticed is enough to strip my hair and scalp of surface grossness (and I DO use product), but never penetrates to strip my hair of moisture. Also, as your hair grows, you may need to start doing moisture treatments during the week and not just once a week. My hair is happiest when I do 3 a week (different approach every time). It seemed time consuming at first, but now I'm quick at just glopping some moisture mix on my dry hair and letting it do it's thing while I cook or watch TV. It helps with the tangles and especially with SSKs.

Just some thoughts. I know I use my hair as an example a lot and your hair is different, but it's a place to start. Just so you know, my hair is a combination of fine, medium, and coarse...and yes, the tangles are the worst with the fine and medium strands. They are also more common in tight spirals that have been broken (which is exactly what we tend to do when trying to detangle our hair daily).

Good luck!

Bunnysaur
August 29th, 2012, 07:47 PM
My hair is usually super tangly out of the shower, and I can't use conditioner :( (hopefully when I get my Toadstool order that'll change!)
Last night, after I shampooed, I melted some shea butter in my hands and ran it through my hair until it was tangle free. Then, I rinsed it really well. My hair is so soft. I don't know why I didn't think of this before!
Maybe you could do something similar?

jeanniet
August 29th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Why oh why did you have to post this, I have been using there hair smoothie and volumizing leave in, but now I want to try the milk so that my hair can really experience the slip. All jokes aside, there conditioner bottles are way too small, my hair may only be shoulder length but it is kinky and there is way too much of it. Do you find that you only need a little bit of the product?

I would like to mention CC if you decide to try SM products, even with thick curly hair you don't need to pile on their products (at least with the smoothie and masque).
Well, you know, YMMV! I use about 2 teaspoons of the masque (total) and probably a tablespoon or so of the milk on sopping wet hair. I also use a tiny bit (like 1/2 teaspoon, tops) of KCCC over that, which might add to the slip.

dawnss
August 29th, 2012, 08:53 PM
The thing that catches my eye most bout your pic is that your hair is bare (ie, wet but with no product). My hair will ALWAYS look like that if it's wet with no product. Curly hair catches itself and tangles. It frightens the straighties, but it's just part of curly life. Even if you've just detangled it in the shower, and then move your head, it will tangle again. You cannot get ahead of the curve.

I NEVER do anything with my curls unless it's saturated with conditioner. Wet is just not enough. And by saturated I mean 1/3 or 1/2 cup of conditioner (or more!) for APL hair. And that's on a normal day, not a tangly day. On a tangling day (ie, spirals broke, I ran my hand through my hair alot, it was windy, etc), I have to co-wash once to just get clumps, and then start all over to try to tease apart the tangles. You can always choose to rinse out the conditioner after detangling if you decide to stay product free, but I doubt you can detangle reasonably on just wet hair as your hair gets longer. In fact, I even doubt you can detangle easily if you have only a small amount of conditioner (ie, a "typical" person's palmful).

Second, I finger-comb when I'm conditioner soaked and let the rest be. I may not get EVERY tangle, but it's enough for clumping and spiral formation and that's gotta be the road to sanity. Yes, pretty spirals can be made with a thorough detangling and aligning of my hair strands, but dude, it's totally not worth it on a normal day. It takes too long, and all the handling promotes breakage. I save the thorough root to tip, every clump, every strand, total alignment detangling for pictures and special occasions...and yes, that leaves more hair in the tub.

Third, as my hair grew longer, it just needed more product. When my hair was between chin and APL, I could just wash and go if I wanted. I might have gotten poofier through the day (humidity, random frizz, evil cosmic alignment), but it was doable. Now at BSL+, it's just a no go. My ends are older and they don't want to play that. So I use conditioner (no gel or aloe for me...not slippery enough). No, conditioner left in doesn't feel like bare hair. It has a tackiness, especially if you are overzealous and apply a bit too much. But the hair IS coated, and when you rinse it out later, the conditioner is there preventing the hairs catching on each other. Have you tried a really light conditioner? I ask because I know you posted using a heavier coney conditioner (Herbal Essences Hydration) for co-washing. That stuff is great for co-washing, but icky as a leave in. It is also coney and requires more frequent coney removal (more later). In my experience, the light, almost watery conditioners are the best leave-ins and since you have fine hair you can probably get away with a dime sized dollop for your entire head. For co-washing, I'd start looking for what gives you the best slip with the least build-up. Lots of curlies are raving about Tressemme Naturals (which I don't know if it's available in London). I was very skeptical, but it's really amazingly slippy with almost no build-up (cone-free).

I've noticed before that you said you ACV rinse once a week after you do your clarify and deep treatment. Have you considered doing an ACV rinse every night when you co-wash? For me, this helps smooth the follicles, which also reduces single strand knots. It doesn't eliminate them, but they are reduced. It's a simple change that may help.

Honestly, the only way to keep curly hair tangle free is to comb/brush it out, maybe with some oil, and then bun it or braid it (when it's longer). The hair can't move and therefore it can't tangle. I don' know about you, but I love my curls and so I tend to wear them out. And as a result I pay the price with daily, intense detangling, sometimes leading to a 20 minute shower. I'm also wicked fast at detangling in the shower, so if it takes me 20 minutes, it was a bad tangle day. But it happens. Also, and this is personal experience, I think the initial brushing to braid or bun the hair, even though it's a "low-damage style", causes a lot of breakage because you are unwinding the curl. The only other option is to restrain the curls every day (ie, a bun with the curls intact) and not wash every day. It will leads to less tangles because there won't be movement. Personally, I hate that. Why have curls if they have to be squished into a bun all the time?

Finally.... yeah, once a week clarifying is going to get the curls angry and tangly. It takes about a week for my hair to recover from clarifying with heavy moisture treatments throughout the week, but you are clarifying EVERY week and so I don't think the hair is getting a chance to recover...increasing your daily tangles. If you feel the need to clarify, I'd try a CWC which I've noticed is enough to strip my hair and scalp of surface grossness (and I DO use product), but never penetrates to strip my hair of moisture. Also, as your hair grows, you may need to start doing moisture treatments during the week and not just once a week. My hair is happiest when I do 3 a week (different approach every time). It seemed time consuming at first, but now I'm quick at just glopping some moisture mix on my dry hair and letting it do it's thing while I cook or watch TV. It helps with the tangles and especially with SSKs.

Just some thoughts. I know I use my hair as an example a lot and your hair is different, but it's a place to start. Just so you know, my hair is a combination of fine, medium, and coarse...and yes, the tangles are the worst with the fine and medium strands. They are also more common in tight spirals that have been broken (which is exactly what we tend to do when trying to detangle our hair daily).

Good luck!

Good tips. I would suggest though CurlyCurves that you try finger detangling. And you may want to detangle your hair completely (with a comb or a few combs that differ in sizes) from time to time like CurlyCap does on special occasions. While I think that breakage is an issue especially with combing wet curly hair, OP I still suggest that you try detangling while wet and if you're concerned about breakage use a protein conditioner.

The method of using conditioner as a leave in, is pretty good (I even use it to define my kinky hair). Can your hair and scalp handle you leaving conditioner (no matter how light) in it?

CurlyCurves
August 31st, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks everyone, for taking the time to comment on my thread to try and help me :blossom:

Your Milage May Vary.

ETA: At least oiling should give you nice curl definition, I just look like a skank who never washes when I oil (until I put it in a bun, then it just looks producty).

Ah, thanks :)

My hair looks awful when I oil it! All greasy and flat :-( I'm with you on the skank side ;-)

Im sorry your feeling fustrated i have straight hair and i get tangles like that alot as well. Id be a terrible curly i touch my hair waaaay to much i hope you find a good method to make this easier on you.

It is so very frustrating. I don't even touch my hair that much but it just tangles itself anyway :'( I'm quite surprised that straight hair tangles too.

Your Mileage May Vary.

I did edit my post after we posted at nearly the same time, and I discovered my post made no sense in your situation. :o

I'm a 5+ year cowsher - I think I shampoo maybe once every 2-3 months, and I use coconut oil regularly and no real build-up issues.

I will tell you that Kinky Curly Knot Today is my favorite leave-in that I use as a rinse-out detangler. It has amazing slip and you don't need much.

I will try it when I can afford it :-D thanks hun.

You don't use any leave-in product at all and your curls are that AWESOME?????

:thudpile::bowtome: :bowtome: :bowtome: :bowtome:

You just made my day :-D thank you! Nope, I don't leave anything in. I hate the feeling of it. I just co-wash it then rinse it out, and leave to air dry without touching. My curls were never awesome before, when I had heat damage and was very horrible to my hair. Being natural pays off :-)

The only thing that I found to work for tangles, is a white vinegar ar ACV rinse. It seals the cuticle, so individual strands won't stick to one another so easily. Just dilute 1 tbs in a cup of water and use it as a final rinse. Or you can rinse it out with water. Also, a little oil might help. And don't touch your hair. You're a curly, and the worst thing to do is comb it or brush it. Just finger comb. Curls can be a PITA sometimes. But they a preeetttty.

I used to use ACV on a regular basis. I may have to start again! I don't really like using it as a final rinse, though. But I love using it :-) oil, my hair can't deal with. It gets weighed down by the slightest bit of it. I don't brush/comb dry, but finger combing is not enough to get rid of all the tangles :-(

Yes, PITA they are, but pretty they are too. You're right :-)

I would recommend sweet almond oil, it's great for adding slip. If you don't want to use a leave in you can always pre-oil before washing (I CO too, i never have a problem getting oil out - just put the conditioner on dry hair 10mins before getting into the shower then continue as normal)

I will have to try. I will let you guys know if it works. SAO left my hair greasy as a leave in but as a pre-poo, it might be okay...

What else would add slip? Someone tell me if I remember something about fenugreek. That is in my brain but I don't know if it's right...

Fenugreek? Sounds interesting :-)

I think catnip is also good for its detangling properties

I've been wanting to try a catnip tea rinse for a while!

YMMV = Your mileage may vary

Clarifying weekly is way too much!

Clarify only when your hair needs it.

You might want to look into mineral oil (also known as baby oil) to help with the tangles. It is lightweight, rinses out easily, and also helps tame the frizzies.

You only need a few drops and works best by itself on damp hair, though it can be used on dry hair as well.

Here is Ktani's article on using MO and what it can do:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=225

Granted, it doesn't work for everyone, but many here have benefited from it, one way or the other.

Do you think? I always follow it up with a deep conditioning. I just feel like it's a nice clean slate for the following week. I use cones, I know they take a while to build up, though ..

I remember you recommending MO before. I've yet to try it. I will, I promise!

I've got the same problem. Every once in a great while, I get sick and tired of being so gentle with this uncooperative mop and rip out hair.

Ditto! I try to be so gentle but sometimes I'm just like *sigh* *rip*

CurlyCurves, you might want to investigate something called Silk Drops. Torrin Paige recommends it for tangles. I've never used it...but Torrin is well versed in hair care, so you might want to PM her to learn more about it.

What are Silk Drops?

CC, have you tried detangling spray? It might help as a spot treatment. I don't have tons of tangling issues, at least not until a couple days after I wash. I don't know if leave-in helps, but I always use leave-in conditioner and sometimes gel. But then, your curls are much tighter than mine. I did have to cut out a small knot last night. But that happens seldom, even though I'm almost waist. I don't know if leave-ins will help at your curl level, but maybe try it? Was it you that started the thread about Shea Moisture? I don't remember if it was you or curlycap. Anyway, it works well for me.

It was Curlycap :-) I dunno, I guess I could try some leave ins but I honestly don't like it. I will have to experiment to see if leave ins help with tangles though. I have a detangling spray. It's .. okay. I may have invest in a different type. Payday is next week so I'll have a look around..

CurlyCurves
August 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM
(Cont. from previous post)

I agree! I wanted to add that there are lots of other rinses you can do that wont be leave in feeling or coat your hair like oil. Maybe a drop or two of oil in your ACv rinse or indian herbs or catnip might be right for you.

I think the catnip would be great! And I am going to start ACV rinses again. Indian herbs? What are they like?

i deal with this everyday with my daughters hair,, i understand the pain very well! i think you just need to grow it longer so eventually you can braid it and there is less tangle risk.. at least this is what im telling my self everyday.. in a year from now i hopefully be able to braid her hair because now its still apl and the tangles are huge,i also want to add that people have no idea how hard it is to deal with truely type 3b/c hair that is fine...a few drops of oil or a detangling spray will not do anything
i'm sorry i have no advice but you are not alone

I can braid it hun, I just like having it out. But I realise now the trade off is breakage I currently have my hair stretched in a bandout style so it's wavy. Reduces tangles, gives it a bit of a break.

I think it's the fineness of my hair that contributes most to the tangles

Even if you really dislike putting something in your hair after washing/conditioning it, I would start trying. Leave some of your conditioner in, something at least, or oil. That might work too. My guess is the tangles will be less.

I doubt it hun. I've done it before. Only makes my hair feel coated and yucky. Tangles slightly less with oil but looks and feels awful/stringy.

My hair type is very different from yours, but I've had a lot of luck with It's a 10 Miracle Leave In Product. I don't use it like a normal leave in conditioner. . . I just spritz a little directly on the tangle to help make the strands slippery enough to easily pull apart with my fingers. It's pretty expensive, but I use so little of it, it lasts quite awhile.

Can you get this in the UK?

I get the knots you're talking about ALL the time, over in the kinky curly forums we call them Ssk's (Single strand knots)/ So I gotta ask, what is your hair care routine?

For me personally, I cut those suckers out. Another tip, when doing any kind of manipulation to your hair make sure you take off the shed/broken off hairs off your hands, combs, or brushes. I know that mixing in that shed hair makes tangles that much worse.

Yes oil does help with slip, but your hair might need to have some kind of moisturizing product that you use after you shampoo. And than layer an oil on top of that (to seal or lock in that moisture).

I shampoo my hair in sections (I usually try to pre detangle it which means that I put oil on my hair remove all the shed hair, and then precede to detangle it). If you're interested I can send you an excellent video of washing, conditioning, and detangling curly hair (granted the poster has type four hair, but her video is great and I think her techniques will really assist you).

How do you comb your hair, do you do it in sections as well?

I should mention that when I say sections I am referring to parting your hair and clipping up unused sections (yes it is tedious but it works wonders).

I would avoid wash n go's unless your hair is properly moisturized or you have loads of oil in it, I hardly ever wear them because the tangles are that brutal.

Also,what are you using to deep condition with and how often do you do it?

This may sound strange, but I do not think that clarifying will necessarily help with this problem this isn't something that is limited to product build up, it just comes with having curly hair. Yet, I do think that shampoo or baking soda does have a place in haircare so is the shampoo that you're using too dry for your hair?

Do you have split ends, those may contribute to your skk's?

I do not have any other tips that I can offer, but if you need anything else just keep asking questions!

I get SSKs but that's not even the problem it's just two strands of hair will knot together, and because the knot is so small, I have to break the hair to get them apart. My hair isn't very dry, and I always deep condition after clarifying. I only clarify because I like how clean and fresh my hair feels after.

I have some split ends. Need to do a proper S&D!

I DC once a week. The product I use is Osmo. Leaves my hair very soft

I used to do it sections but it gets annoying. My hair isn't very thick so I do it all together.

WnGs are the problem. I love them, but when I go out or sleep at night, it tangles (and I sleep on a satin pillowcase, tie my hair up and cover it some nights)

Thanks for your help!

I have a boatload of tangles in easily,10 minutes if I wear my hair down. So to tolerate all this business and get through I wear my hair up. It's easier and more professional too. Often enough I do sleep with my hair up super loose, too.

I recommend wearing updos for you. A LOT less tangles, for sure!

heidi w.

I know, I need to wear it up more often

I would like to try them! Shame about the price, though

CurlyCurves
August 31st, 2012, 12:45 PM

I'll bear that in mind :) thanks!

Hi, not sure if you avoid any certain substance in your hair care products but the one I've found that I like for myself and especially for my little girl is by John Freida Daily Nourishment leave in conditioner. It sprays on like water. I spray it on my little girl's hair and scrunch it in and instantly can come right through. On mine I have to leave it in a minute after massaging it through.

Sounds good! I'll see if I see it anywhere. Thanks!

I'm also a F/M but with a lot less wave. My hair is also prone to bad tangles, especially at the nape. Mineral oil has helped a lot, and it doesn't feel like a coating on the hair. I apply about 6 drops on my BSL hair, concentrating on the nape and other tangle prone areas on my hair. It's really inexpensive, and if you dislike it on your hair, you can always use it on your skin.

Yeah, I really think it's a F/M thing. I also get really bad nape tangles. The hair there regularly dreads :| and it's much shorter due to breakage.

I do wanna try the MO.

Good luck!

Thanks CurlyCap :)

I think you're right about weekly clarifying. I'm going to drop that out of my routine and maybe stick to doing it monthly. Also going to restart ACV rinses (from next week when I get paid). I still don't know if I can stand to leave anything in my hair because I can't stand the way it feels, but I will be trying your other tips. I think I do need to saturate my hair in conditioner more, maybe.. In the pic, my hair is not bare, it has about three conditioners on it, LOL!

F/M is a nightmare for tangles, I tell ya!

My hair is usually super tangly out of the shower, and I can't use conditioner :( (hopefully when I get my Toadstool order that'll change!)
Last night, after I shampooed, I melted some shea butter in my hands and ran it through my hair until it was tangle free. Then, I rinsed it really well. My hair is so soft. I don't know why I didn't think of this before!
Maybe you could do something similar?

Shea butter = tangles and greasy hair for me! Eek, can't imagine using it on my hair again.

Good tips. I would suggest though CurlyCurves that you try finger detangling. And you may want to detangle your hair completely (with a comb or a few combs that differ in sizes) from time to time like CurlyCap does on special occasions. While I think that breakage is an issue especially with combing wet curly hair, OP I still suggest that you try detangling while wet and if you're concerned about breakage use a protein conditioner.

The method of using conditioner as a leave in, is pretty good (I even use it to define my kinky hair). Can your hair and scalp handle you leaving conditioner (no matter how light) in it?

My scalp can handle it but I hate it. It feels horrible to me. And it's not as shiny as usual/tend to be flat.

If I didn't detangle completely, I'd have mats! I think I may just need to wear it up more often ..

I think I may need to do a protein treatment again also..

dawnss
August 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM
My scalp can handle it but I hate it. It feels horrible to me. And it's not as shiny as usual/tend to be flat.

If I didn't detangle completely, I'd have mats! I think I may just need to wear it up more often ..

I think I may need to do a protein treatment again also..[/QUOTE]

Yeah I don't really like leaving conditioner in my hair because it causes flakes, but my hair does have less bulk so that is nice.

I agree with you wearing it up less will eliminate those SSK's (the little knots between hair strands). I just cut those suckers, please don't rip your hair.

I think I may have suggested this before, but I would detangle my hair with oil prior to washing (that way if you do a style where your hair was out your hair will not become as prone to tangles).

Do you have any light protein treatments or conditioners?

This may sound strange, but do you use both wide tooth combs or combs of different sizes and a denman brush? I tend to find that they get most of the shed hair out of my hair (now granted our hair does behave somewhat differently, I hardly ever hair issues with flat hair lol, it would be a nice relief to deal with), especially a denman brush. If you are considering one just pm me and I can explain all of the details to you.

CC you gotta find updo's you like, which must suck because you have really nice looking curls. Can you do braids instead of updo's especially for sleeping at night? I like to wear my hair in the occasional afro puff, but when I do it really tangles like nobodies business so I just don't wear my hair down often.

MeowScat
September 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM
Wow! You got a lot of awesome ideas from everyone here so I'll just add this:

APL is one of the tangliest (is that a word?) lengths. You can turn your head a few times and BAM! Tangles. Updos are your friend, get your hair off your back and shoulders.

Have you tried sleeping with a satin sleepcap? A satin pillowcase is great too, but the sleepcap is much better. I leave my hair down and fold it in instead of bunning it on top of my head at night. Taking the bun out after sleeping still gave me tangles. I have zero to maybe 2 small, loose tangles in the morning now.

S&D ASAP and keep up with it. You can do it while watching TV next to a bright light, though sunlight is best, a bright lightbulb or computer screen is great too.

Elenna
September 1st, 2012, 04:34 AM
The advice I'm seeing on this thread is to add something with slip that will smooth out the tangles. This is just my 2 cents here. I had a really bad tangling problem for several years until I started adding almond oil & olive oil to my conditioner. Just a teaspoon of each oil! I'm not sure why this has been so effective. I've tried so many conditioners and other oils and butters that didn't help much.

Suze2012
September 1st, 2012, 04:55 AM
First off your hair is beautiful... :) I have that sme curl at the front just like yours..but my hair isn't as dark and shiny..but boy do I love that curl! (on me and on you!)

I haven't read all of the posts here - my bad - so sorry if this is repeating anything.

When my hair was your length it would tangle more and I have always had long layers in it which I think possibly makes that worse. I got ess tangles as it grew longer and heavier (and my hair is fairly fine.

I used Aussie Moist products for a couple of years (probably too long) and in the UK they are full of Sodium Lauryl Sulphate and silicone and I used to get tangles and had to use a comb in the shower with the conditioner on and out of the shower.
I haven't used a styling product in years either as I don't like how they feel generally.

When I switched to co washing I had a trial week using my coney condish and day one was great - no comb needed, day two, three four...etc..were not so good.

I did a clarify and got a cone free condish and haven't used a comb snce 4th May. Not once.

I've had ups and downs with co-washing but this last whole week has been a good consistent one for me and that curl along with it's fellow curls has been happy. :)

The silicone free-ness has definitely helped eradicate my tangles.
But I also co wash, rinse but put my co wash conditioner on the length with coconut oil mixed in and only then do I finger comb it. I mix one small handful of condish with the oil so it doesn't all fall out of my hand while the oil melts and put that on, then I put a hugepalmful of condish on top of that and I run it down the length upside down and only finger comb when it feels soaked in it. If my fingers get stuck I go down the length again with a bit more condish and try again.

I like you don't like things left in on my hair much. But I have been putting a tiny blob of cone free condish on the mid to ends this past week and it is so little it doesn't feel like anything is on it.
I put it on while soaking wet and before getting excess water out.

I also try not to put my fingers through my hair when it's dry..if I do my fingers do get stuck and I gently pull them back out again and leave that tangle.
Today I'm not co washing, bunned it overnight and will just let it fall and do what it wants but fluff the roots a bit. Any tangles can wait until the next wash.

I never put my hair up in the daytime as it doesn't suit me so it deals with an hours walking each day in whatever weather we have - it's been really windy this week and rainy and it's still not suffered.

I really would try going cone free and co washing.
I also gave up regular towels and used t-shirts and then went for microfibre towels which are great but I only ever squeeze or scrunch, no rubbing at all.

I hope you solve this but it looks like you have lots of options to try out - give each one at least a week's trial and just change one thing at a time.
Let us know how it goes. :)

Suze2012
September 1st, 2012, 05:07 AM
Oh..and my hair hates oil left in it..makes it poofy and destroys the curls for me.

So I only use it as a deep treatment on dry hair (I coat it as much as possible and don't worry about tangles - I just leave them be when oiling)...and then as I said mix it into my rinse out conditioner.

It is all trial and error though..and one thing which works for one person will not always work for you. Maybe it should be called 'Trial, Error, Frustration, Deep Breath and Try Something Else' Lol!

coneyisland
September 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Silk Drops is a clear fluid sold in little clear bottles. There are several brands of such product out there. Most are priced about $12 (about 7.58 GBP at present exchange rate) for about two fluid ounces.

I believe member luxepiggy CO-washes with Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner. If I recall correctly, she has been doing this for some time and still has not needed to clarify. She has made some posts that give me concerns about anyone's CWC-washing. Anyway, she is apparently very knowledgeable about the chemistry and properties of the various -cone additives in hair products.

Are you able to pull or (sort of) pry your curls (the separate curls/clusters of hairs that curl together) apart (by finger-combing means or from overhead, from between the tangled hairs and their roots) at the outset of detangling so that you can then detangle the curl sections separately? If not, I suggest you find another conditioner or other product/s that will make your hair sufficiently slippery to enable that.

Yes, you should keep your hair up, braided, or braided and up, nearly all the time. Its ends are especially prone to wear from otherwise inevitable rubs against your clothing. Down time makes for more tangling, too. I believe you will have the least tangling in your updos if your hair has dried before you put it up. Your nape hairs will still tend to tangle but not nearly so much if your braids or updos are not anchored with (elastic) bands near the scalp. Soon wearing your hair up will become second nature to you. To help yourself make the adjustment, keep mindful that you are limiting tangling and otherwise protecting your hair from avoidable damage, and that your protective styling will get your beautiful hair grown to your length goal faster and in its best possible condition.

dawnss
September 1st, 2012, 11:26 AM
Silk Drops is a clear fluid sold in little clear bottles. There are several brands of such product out there. Most are priced about $12 (about 7.58 GBP at present exchange rate) for about two fluid ounces.

I believe member luxepiggy CO-washes with Pantene Ice Shine Conditioner. If I recall correctly, she has been doing this for some time and still has not needed to clarify. She has made some posts that give me concerns about anyone's CWC-washing. Anyway, she is apparently very knowledgeable about the chemistry and properties of the various -cone additives in hair products.

Are you able to pull or (sort of) pry your curls (the separate curls/clusters of hairs that curl together) apart (by finger-combing means or from overhead, from between the tangled hairs and their roots) at the outset of detangling so that you can then detangle the curl sections separately? If not, I suggest you find another conditioner or other product/s that will make your hair sufficiently slippery to enable that.

Yes, you should keep your hair up, braided, or braided and up, nearly all the time. Its ends are especially prone to wear from otherwise inevitable rubs against your clothing. Down time makes for more tangling, too. I believe you will have the least tangling in your updos if your hair has dried before you put it up. Your nape hairs will still tend to tangle but not nearly so much if your braids or updos are not anchored with (elastic) bands near the scalp. Soon wearing your hair up will become second nature to you. To help yourself make the adjustment, keep mindful that you are limiting tangling and otherwise protecting your hair from avoidable damage, and that your protective styling will get your beautiful hair grown to your length goal faster and in its best possible condition.

Great tip about prying the hair before detangling. If you're confused about how to do this CC, I can send you a video that shows a woman detangling (finger combing, but I think her method will work best for anyone with SSK's). If you use the method that coneyisland is describing then you will take longer detangling, but I think that this tends to be a more effective form of finger detangling, when you need to locate a specific tangle and you can't figure out which strand(s) are causing the problem.

niaiman
September 1st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Something that can prevent tangles is keeping hair stretched at night. Whether it's in a loose bun or braids. It helps a ton because the hair won't shrink up at night and get tangled while you sleep. If you already do this or if this was already mentioned I apologize,

dawnss
September 1st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Something that can prevent tangles is keeping hair stretched at night. Whether it's in a loose bun or braids. It helps a ton because the hair won't shrink up at night and get tangled while you sleep. If you already do this or if this was already mentioned I apologize,

This is a great tip, especially for those who have kinky or really tight curl patterns.

Shepherdess
September 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
I often will heavily oil my hair (with an olive/jojoba oil mixture) and detangle it before I wash. It seems to help a lot. I never comb my hair when it is wet, but that is partly because I don't want to damage it while it is at its weakest.

Today I tried washing my hair without putting oil in or conditioner to see how my hair would turn out and it curled very nicely, but it was also very hard to detangle. So I think oiling it a lot and conditioner really help.

CurlyCurves
September 12th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks everyone!

I dropped the weekly clarifying (what was I thinking?!) and, while I still struggle with breakage, my hair is easier to detangle.