PDA

View Full Version : Should Men Have Long Hair?

kahuna
August 28th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Obviously I agree that everyone should be entitled to their own choices and freedoms and that includes doing whatever it is they want to do with their hair.

Although, and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a man with long hair considered a sin or shameful in the eyes of Christians and according to the bible?

Yes I'm sure most of you would agree that most men look good/better with long hair, but what is your religious take on men with long hair?

palaeoqueen
August 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm an atheist, I think men should wear their hair however they want.

akilina
August 28th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I simply agree :)
*hoping we don't have another heated religious discussion in the mane forum >.<*

Madora
August 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Why not? Didn't Jesus have "long" hair? I see no problem, as long as the hair is healthy and clean.

Clem_Dela
August 28th, 2012, 10:56 AM
the long vs. short hair on men and women was really a tradition thing, a gender role thing. it doesn't have anything to do with your relationship with Christ, it's just a tradition.

I know i like long hair on a guy, to run my fingers through ;)

sadia
August 28th, 2012, 11:01 AM
In Islam, it is sunnah (something that is recommended and encouraged but not an obligation) for men to have long hair. Not extremely long though that isnt problematic. There are hadiths (narrations of the Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him from his wives and companions) where he is described as having long hair, up to his neck.

There are different descriptions of the length of the Prophet (saas)'s hair. It is natural that there should be discrepancies between them, as the people these accounts have come down from saw him at different times, when his hair may have been of different lengths. Yet, what can be recognized from these descriptions was that the Prophet (saas)'s hair was at ear-level at its shortest and at shoulder-length at its longest.

Anas bin Malik (ra) recalls :

"The hair of Rasulullah (saas) reached till half of his ears."84

Aisha (ra) reports:

"The blessed hair of Rasulullah (saas) was longer than those that reached the ear lobes, and shorter than those that reached the shoulders."85

Baraa bin Aazib (ra) says:

"Rasulullah (saas) was of average height, and the portion between the two shoulders was wide. His hair reached his ear lobes."86

Umm Haani, the daughter of Abu Taalib (ra) offers the following description:

"Rasulullah (saas) came to Mecca once after the hijrah (migration). His blessed hair had four plaits."

Shadow Walker
August 28th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I don't put too much stock in norms like that, so I don't see why not. I like it and I think it suits me, and that's all that matters.

raingirl
August 28th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I'm not religious, so I can't comment on that part.

However, I think men with long hair are insanely sexy and irresistible. My hubby had long hair for a few years...sadly he cut it. He was growing it back but recently changed jobs and cut it again. *sigh*

Natanyabanana
August 28th, 2012, 11:07 AM
In the bible, didn't samson grow his hair long and say that his hair was his strengh? Personally, I am a christian and I LOVE men with long hair. My little boy is six and has long hair, just past his shoulders! :)

MinderMutsig
August 28th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I don't have a religious take on long hair on men because I am an atheist. I think men should wear their hair however they like. I'm not particularly fond of long hair on men but that hardly matters.

MinderMutsig
August 28th, 2012, 11:11 AM
In the bible, didn't samson grow his hair long and say that his hair was his strengh? Personally, I am a christian and I LOVE men with long hair. My little boy is six and has long hair, just past his shoulders! :)He did. But the bible also says that if a man has long hair it is a disgrace to him. (1 Cor. 11:14)

millyaulait
August 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM

Yes, this. *nods*

rowie
August 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM
It's my way of getting to know a part of myself I never got to know until now with getting on this journey of growing! I'm doing this for me, and no one else, and I love the TLHC motto "I'm not here to decorate your world."

ETA: I'm also agnostic border line atheist.

Natanyabanana
August 28th, 2012, 11:16 AM
He did. But the bible also says that if a man has long hair it is a disgrace to him. (1 Cor. 11:14)

Well, whatever it says, I still have the hots for men with long hair! Can't help it ;) hehe

katfemme89
August 28th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Some sects in the bible (nazarites) were required to grow their hair long. Samson (see my siggy) had never cut his, so I imagine it was somewhere around TBL, depending on what his terminal length was...

As far as I know, there is no scripture that forbids men to grow their hair long. But there is scripture that forbids women to shave their heads, because "her hair is her glory".

Personally, I love long hair on men.

HylianGirl
August 28th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hm... I am not religious, but I think people should wear their hair however they please, and I wich it were more common for men to have long hair, personally I find it atractive, but that's a personal opinion. I am against gender roles in general so I don't think some things should be acceptable/forbidden for on gender and not the other, I believe that is harmful for human beings, and comes from social backgrounds.

katfemme89
August 28th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I think what the verse in corinthians means is that long hair on a man could get in the way (of hunting and gathering and whatnot) because it says "doesn't nature itself tell us that long hair on a man is a disgrace to him?" perhaps from being snagged in bushes or trees or whatnot. I don't know. Just a thought.

Shepherdess
August 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Some sects in the bible (nazarites) were required to grow their hair long. Samson (see my siggy) had never cut his, so I imagine it was somewhere around TBL, depending on what his terminal length was...

As far as I know, there is no scripture that forbids men to grow their hair long. But there is scripture that forbids women to shave their heads, because "her hair is her glory".

Personally, I love long hair on men.

Yes, it talks about it in Numbers 6:2-5 if they took a Nazarite vow. :)

Amber_Maiden
August 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I'm a buddhist. I think both men, and women, should wear their hair however they want. Regardless of what others think.

Maybe
August 28th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I am pagan, and think people should wear their hair however they like.

I do think your hair should be appropriate for the situation. For example, I am not going to wear pigtail braids to a board meeting.

But if I was a native/aboriginal man with long hair I might.

Context.

MinderMutsig
August 28th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think what the verse in corinthians means is that long hair on a man could get in the way (of hunting and gathering and whatnot) because it says "doesn't nature itself tell us that long hair on a man is a disgrace to him?" perhaps from being snagged in bushes or trees or whatnot. I don't know. Just a thought.Perhaps the writer does think this but then it wouldn't make sense because in reality, in nature, it's the males that have the longest mane, the brightest feathers, the biggest tails, the most impressive antlers etc.

If we go by nature it's the men who should have long hair (and a furry body :p) instead of the women.

shutterpillar
August 28th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I am not even going to touch the religious aspect of this, as I am not educated on that topic well enough to do so. The only comment I can come up with for that is - isnt Jesus always depicted with long (ish) hair? Like, longer than shoulder length? So surely, as the son of God, you would think God would not have a problem with men having long hair.
Also, if God created people and made their hair to grow, I dont see why it should be considered a sin.
But then you could start an argument on free will and all of that... and this brings me back to what I said initially. I am not nearly as educated about the specifics of religion as I would like to be in order to debate it. ;)

That being said, in *my* opinion, men should be able to do whatever they want with their hair. I like long hair on some men, I like short hair on other men. I happen to think Billy Corgan is the sexiest bald man alive.

Like women, different styles look better on different people.

kahuna
August 28th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all of your imput!

I was looking for a little background info. before writing an article in my blog: {Removed by Moderator}

Unofficial_Rose
August 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Thanks for all of your imput!
I was looking for a little background info. before writing an article in my blog: {Removed by Moderator}

How interesting! With a bit of luck, more men will grow their hair. :)

And there are some very good examples on this board.

Simone_Fatale
August 28th, 2012, 02:17 PM
I'm agnostic, and I believe that men should do with their hair whatever they want.

Personally I find long hair on men incredibly sexy, but that is just my preference.

hufflepug
August 28th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I'm also an atheist who thinks people should wear their hair how they like it. I don't prefer long hair on men, but it's their hair, not mine. How they wear it has no effect on me.
I even know some men that like wearing nail polish :) I think it's cool.

rtree721
August 28th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Anyone can have long hair!

Avital88
August 28th, 2012, 02:50 PM
if i would ever bare a son i would keep his hair long..
I believe in hair as strength

gnome82
August 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM
In the bible, didn't samson grow his hair long and say that his hair was his strengh? Personally, I am a christian and I LOVE men with long hair. My little boy is six and has long hair, just past his shoulders! :)

Exactly what I was thinking about Samson, he was not meant to cut his hair as it was what gave him his strength :cloud9:

Peter
August 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
He did. But the bible also says that if a man has long hair it is a disgrace to him. (1 Cor. 11:14)
1 Corinthians 11:14-16

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

doggyhog
August 28th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I am a christian and personally I don't care if men have long hair.

As it says in 1 Samuel, "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance but the Lord looks at the heart."

So, as far as religious reasons go, it's fine by me. IMO if you are a christian and you live the way God wants you to live, what does it matter that you have long hair?

LuckyH
August 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM
There are plenty of things condoned in the bible that ought not be done IRL....if it requires dudes to chop their locks then just add it to the list.

spiritually (but perhaps not religiously) yours,
lucky

Sarahlabyrinth
August 28th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I think that the Lord looks at what is in our hearts rather than our outward appearance. He knows the real, innermost part of us, that secret part which we don't show to others.

It is how we relate to Him that matters to Him. Not whether we have long hair, though the Bible does say that we should not put other things into a more important place than Him, eg braiding hair with gold and pearls, Not that that is bad in itself, but worshipping "worldly" things, like hair, clothes, material goods, is bad if we place those things ahead of God in our hearts.

Anyway, the point is that I don't think God minds whether we wear our hair long or short, whether we are male or female.

MrsGuther
August 28th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I think men should have their hair whatever length they want. According to my religion though (apostolic pentecostal) men are supposed to have noticeably short hair, and women aren't supposed to cut their hair at all. Do I think that is what God is concerned with? Absolutely not. I think hair is just hair and it is a personal preference for each individual.

Diamond.Eyes
August 28th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I am a some-what religious person and I think men can wear their hair however they would like. The same goes for women. :flower:

kdaniels8811
August 28th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Do what you are comfortable with. I LOVE long hair on guys even though my sweetie is completely bald!

MinderMutsig
August 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.So? That basically says "it's a disgrace but if he wants to get all pissy about it then whatevah :rolleyes: ..."

The whatever part doesn't erase the disgrace part. Although I have to say, given the fact that there is no penalty it may not be a capital offense unlike, say, making fun of bald people.

leslissocool
August 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I'm atheist. I LOVE men with long hair, I am married to one :crush:.

Jesus had long hair :D according to the the bible...

hairconvictions
August 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Personally, I don't hold anything against men with long hair.

But since you asked for religious standpoints, I have to agree with the question that says men are not supposed to have long hair according to the Bible. I quote 1 Cor 11 where it talks about it being a shame for a man to have long hair. And having done some research on the topic, "long" in this instance meant hair that, in our generation, would be below the collar or past their ears.

Again, to stay politically correct, I don't think poorly of someone who is not of my belief.

MidnightMoon
August 28th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I don't put too much stock in norms like that, so I don't see why not. I like it and I think it suits me, and that's all that matters.

And your hair is awesome!!
I really like long hair on men and yours is really pretty, good job!

KwaveT
August 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
There is so much in the bible that gets misintrepreted. Like poster above said. Passage says that long hair brings shame on him but if he wants to disagree about it then let him have long hair. I also look at what it doesn't say. It never says that this is a sin. It is not a sin or abomination as some parts of bible says. I give an example of how Apostle's Paul's words can be twisted. Take I Corinthians 14:34-35. "Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." A lot of denominations use these two verses to say that women can not participate in any leadership role in a church like a pastor, deacon or similar ones. That is blatantly false. All Paul was saying was for women to stop disrupting the sermon by asking their husbands questions during the service. To save their questions for when they get home. That is all this scripture meant but churches use them to deny women from serving in the church. I could go on and on with misintrepreted scripture.

hermosamendoza
August 28th, 2012, 08:32 PM
The part of the Bible that talks about men not having long hair and women not having short hair has to do with the Corinthians. In the temple of Athena (I think) they're were prostiutes but if it was found out in public that a woman was a prostitute a her hair would be cut off as a sign of shame. But the women in the church of Corinth liked the look so they started cutting their hair short like the prostitutes who were growing their hair out. And as for men not having long hair it was because again, in Corinth, the men were dressing up like women.
I am a Christian and I remember hearing this several times when in studies about the book of Corinthians.

As for my personal opinion I have to take a double look sometimes when I realize a man has long long hair like a woman 1. because it's a dude and 2. his hair is usally better kept than most womens lol and it makes me a wee bit jelous

Peter
August 28th, 2012, 08:44 PM
So? That basically says "it's a disgrace but if he wants to get all pissy about it then whatevah :rolleyes: ..."

The whatever part doesn't erase the disgrace part. Although I have to say, given the fact that there is no penalty it may not be a capital offense unlike, say, making fun of bald people.Good point. Also I like the way you put it, ha! Humour fit for a King... ;)

umbrellabones
August 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm christian and there isnt anything against guys having long hair. I love long hair on men. :)

justgreen
August 28th, 2012, 11:34 PM
It always helps to know the author of each book of the Bible and why they wrote it. My interpretation is as follows:

The First letter of Paul to the Corinthians (The First book of Corinthians, there are two)

The city of Corinth was at the heart of an important trade route in the ancient world. Like many cities that thrive on trade, Corinth had a reputation for sexual immorality, religious diversity and corruption. The church that Paul planted there (Acts 18) floundered under all of these influences and began to divide over various issues. First Corinthians addresses many practical questions dividing the church-questions concerning such things as spiritual gifts, marriage, food offered to idols, and the resurrection. Paul urged the Corinthians to be unified and to give themselves fully to "the work of the Lord" (15:58)

We do not live in Biblical times. I consider it hair splitting to say it's a sin if a man has long hair **did you get the pun?**. I'm a Christian and if a man wants to have long hair, who/what gives me the right to judge him?

justgreen
August 28th, 2012, 11:48 PM
The part of the Bible that talks about men not having long hair and women not having short hair has to do with the Corinthians. In the temple of Athena (I think) they're were prostiutes but if it was found out in public that a woman was a prostitute a her hair would be cut off as a sign of shame. But the women in the church of Corinth liked the look so they started cutting their hair short like the prostitutes who were growing their hair out. And as for men not having long hair it was because again, in Corinth, the men were dressing up like women.
I am a Christian and I remember hearing this several times when in studies about the book of Corinthians.

As for my personal opinion I have to take a double look sometimes when I realize a man has long long hair like a woman 1. because it's a dude and 2. his hair is usally better kept than most womens lol and it makes me a wee bit jelous

Could you please give scripture reference on this?

The only scripture in Corinthians, that I can find that gives reference to prostitutes is ,1 Corinthians 6:15 and it reads:

Do you not know that your bodies are member of Christ? Shall I then take the member of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never!

firevegan
August 29th, 2012, 04:59 AM
I'm going to have to agree with the christians. I am a christian and I LOVE men with long hair. Most men in the bible had long hair silly!

Asprettyasme
August 29th, 2012, 05:54 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

MonaMayfair
August 29th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I'm a Christian, and I don't care how men wear their hair, though if they're in my vicinity I'd prefer it to be clean.
Like women, some guys look better with short hair and some with long hair.

Pierre
August 29th, 2012, 06:03 AM
Samson and Samuel were both Nazirites. So was Paul, but temporarily (he finished his Nazirite time in Cenchreae and got a haircut).

I take "κομα" to mean "has long hair loose"; when I'm in church (and most of the rest of the time), my hair is in two braids held up in buns or some other updo. Several women in church have long hair loose. Ever see a comet (which comes from that Greek word) with its tail in a bun?

MinderMutsig
August 29th, 2012, 06:29 AM
It depends on how it looks on him. Sometimes its so sexy and sometimes its just weird and creepy. But I would date either guy (short or long) as long as its cute on him. Didn't Jesus have long hair?Actually, the bible doesn't describe what he looks like so there is no way to know for sure but given the region where he was born and his probable lineage Jesus most likely looked something like this:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/jesusface.jpg

The image of Jesus as we know him has a very long and complicated history. Basically images were borrowed and adapted resulting in a blond, blue-eyed Hippie Jesus.

Amanah
August 29th, 2012, 06:35 AM
If you are a man and don't have a personal conviction about how you wear your hair, then wear it anyway you like.

If you practice Judaism, Silhism, Islam, Native American, African, or Asian religions that teach your hair should be a certain way, then you may possibly want to follow your personal convictions in reference to your religion.

If you are trying to get a job on Wall Street, you may want to emulate the way men on Wall Street wear their hair.

hairconvictions
August 29th, 2012, 07:05 AM
Picture of Jesus: agreed.

Most men in the Bible had long hair: If they were Nazarites, yes, otherwise, where are you getting this information?

And yes, 1 Cor 11 does not say "thou shalt not". But if something is in the Bible that God is saying should be so and you love God with all your heart and want to please Him, then "thou shalt nots" really aren't your focus. Doing everything you can to be pure and faithful to Him IS, so trying to avoid things on technicality really isn't the point.

As for it "not being for today", the Bible says God doesn't change. And before you quote Leviticus and how they killed gay people, remember that there are three types of laws in Leviticus and we are only to follow the moral laws today (and killing gay people is NOT one of them). However, the things that God loves and hates does not change and if God doesn't change, then neither do His commandments. ESPECIALLY any found in the NT.

Not trying to be confrontational at all, it just urkes me when people take one verse out of context without doing their research. God only gets a bad rep when you don't read the whole thing!

justgreen
August 29th, 2012, 08:41 AM

Most men in the Bible had long hair: If they were Nazarites, yes, otherwise, where are you getting this information?

And yes, 1 Cor 11 does not say "thou shalt not". But if something is in the Bible that God is saying should be so and you love God with all your heart and want to please Him, then "thou shalt nots" really aren't your focus. Doing everything you can to be pure and faithful to Him IS, so trying to avoid things on technicality really isn't the point.

As for it "not being for today", the Bible says God doesn't change. And before you quote Leviticus and how they killed gay people, remember that there are three types of laws in Leviticus and we are only to follow the moral laws today (and killing gay people is NOT one of them). However, the things that God loves and hates does not change and if God doesn't change, then neither do His commandments. ESPECIALLY any found in the NT.

Not trying to be confrontational at all, it just urkes me when people take one verse out of context without doing their research. God only gets a bad rep when you don't read the whole thing!

I didn't disagree about most men having long hair in the bible. Samson's long hair was a different case.I don't think any other man back in those days had power like Samson. And the power might have just been in Samson's head. If you've ever gotten a bad hair cut and TOO much cut off, don't you go around moping and sorta feeling sorry for yourself?

I gave you the whole book of Corinthians in a nutshell. I've done several studies on the books that Paul authored. To simply re-state. Paul was speaking to the people of one of the churches that he had just got going. He was addressing the members as to what was the simple way to go about showing how to be a Christian without spouting off and scaring folks. He was telling them what they were going to come in contact with. He was telling the men to clean up a little .

God doesn't change but the Bible can be interpreted VERY differently.

justgreen
August 29th, 2012, 09:12 AM

I take it that your responses are to me, even without the quotes.

I don't understand why this was brought into the discussion. Earlier I only brought up 1 Corinthians because several others had mentioned it and it seemed like they wanted some clarification. I know that I didn't quote Leviticus at all. Why should I? We are discussing long hair on men not the laws in Leviticus.

I have done my research. I've done several Bible studies on the books that Paul wrote. Actually i've done Bible studies on every book of the Bible, but the two books of Corinthians speak to me , along with Psalms and the Song of Solomon and Ruth.

Back to long hair on men. What I simply believe is that no man has the right to judge another man/woman/child. The right to judge belongs to God. Even if you are atheist, agnostic, etc., you do not have the right to judge another human being as to how they wear their hair. Now, if someone was walking around naked, see, there's a law of the land against that!:D We are taught to obey the laws of the land. I've never heard of a law against men with long hair.

hairconvictions
August 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM
No, it wasn't really aimed at anyone. Sorry if it felt like I was attacking your statements, I wasn't.

I could go on about this and retort to your response, but I think we can agree that we will probably never agree on the subject. :P

So as not to derail the thread, I am interested on your outlook about a couple things, however (and feel free to PM me your thoughts on this if you want, or not, I completely understand).

1. If Paul is writing to the churches from the time (ie the Corinthians) and it isn't applicable to us today, why don't we just take the book right out of the Bible? And who decides what is truth and what isn't?

2. How can you say that there are many different ways to interpret the Bible when 2 Peter 1:20 clearly states that there is NO private interpretation of scripture? The understanding of EXACTLY what the scriptures mean was revealed supernaturally to the Apostles in Luke 24, and was then preached by the Apostles to the church, eventually leading to Paul, who is writing the scripture in question.

ALorraine
August 29th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Yes in fact I think that most guys look better with long or medium hair as opposed to short. We wore it this way for thousands of years in our history so why not now. No question intended.:)

Kyla
August 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Keeping religion out of my response, I usually like long hair on men. I also like short hair. :p I think certain lengths compliment different men's faces, but I also think they should wear their hair however they feel like. DBF is growing out his hair a little (to about shoulder I believe, enough to make a "man-bun"), and I love it! His curls are very fun to play with.

Caldonia Sun
August 29th, 2012, 07:30 PM

16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

Well played. Looks to me like St. Paul is more concerned about avoiding contention between Christ's followers than the length of their hair.

I like long hair on a man. Several of the priests and deacons in the local EO churches have long hair: one wears it in a braid and the other in a pony tail. Very attractive, they are.

CurlyCap
August 29th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Atheist here.

Hair is a body byproduct that just grows out of our hair. We were it long because it makes us happy or because we think it makes us socially more attractive.

Men have just as much right to play with their hair as women. If they want it long, I've no problem with that.

wooliswonderful
August 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Dh and I don't believe it is a shame or disgrace for men to have long hair.
We believe Paul was speaking in his letter about the culture and common practices of the time/location and his overall point was don't groom yourselves or dress in the manner that the Pagans do. :)

maborosi
August 29th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I don't know if there's any religious reason for men not to be able to have long hair, that I'm aware of.

~maborosi~

Mesmerise
August 29th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Why not? Didn't Jesus have "long" hair? I see no problem, as long as the hair is healthy and clean.

Good point! I know Christians who seem to think men should have short hair... but isn't that, umm a little hypocritical?

As it is, I think men should do whatever the heck they want with their hair. I like some men better with short hair (and in general, I probably DO prefer short hair on men... oddly enough)... but mostly I don't care!

I'm sure there would be some men who like me better with short hair, but I don't care about that either ;).

CaranDulin
August 29th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Jesus loves you no matter what you do with your hair, so...I'd consider it irrelevant. :) Aside from that, I like long hair on guys too.

RedBlue
August 29th, 2012, 10:48 PM
I, honestly, could care less if a man has long or short hair. I prefer longish (about chin-shoulder length) on men, myself. My paternal grandparents were born in the 30s, and they believe men should have short hair. My grandfather also believes women should have long hair, no matter their age, but my grandmother disputes him about that. She has her hair cut short and gets a perm every week. She says women get to a point where they simply can't deal with long hair and no longer need it...

But I digress. Bottom line: Men should have whatever hair length they desire.:cool:

CurlyCurves
August 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I am an atheist, so no religious views on men with long hair. However, while I don't think it suits some men, I usually love it. Especially if he has healthy, shiny, long curls - yum!

bubastis
August 30th, 2012, 02:55 PM
My husband's hair is longer than mine and it looks gorgeous on him :-)

Bianca
August 30th, 2012, 02:59 PM
If they want too. I prefer short hair on men myself. The religious part, No idea :)

Asprettyasme
September 5th, 2012, 12:28 AM
#error

#An error occurred.

joflakes
September 5th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Yes, sure. If they want to have it long then why not?

Wiggy Stardust
September 5th, 2012, 01:50 AM
As someone not too invested in fashion advice from thousands of years ago... I like men with long hair. I think in the paintings of Jesus, he had a rockin' do. It is very similar to my BF's rockin' do, down to the soft curls and centre parting.

That "real" Jesus pic is a bit too old for 30, I think. I find it hard that a bunch of people listened to a guy who looked very plain. People are people... They like attractiveness... And I know in that time I'd be way more likely to listen to the guy with 12 buddies IF he had really nice long hair.

MinderMutsig
September 5th, 2012, 03:48 AM
As someone not too invested in fashion advice from thousands of years ago... I like men with long hair. I think in the paintings of Jesus, he had a rockin' do. It is very similar to my BF's rockin' do, down to the soft curls and centre parting.

That "real" Jesus pic is a bit too old for 30, I think. I find it hard that a bunch of people listened to a guy who looked very plain. People are people... They like attractiveness... And I know in that time I'd be way more likely to listen to the guy with 12 buddies IF he had really nice long hair. I guess the point is that what we find attractive is culturally influenced. That's where blond, blue-eyed, long haired hippie Jesus came from.

It's quite possible that 2000 years ago on the other side of the globe plain Jesus was the epitome of sexy.

TiffanieJean
September 5th, 2012, 05:07 AM
I'm not exactly religious, but I don't believe having long hair has ever been called a sin. According to Liviticus, men should have long hair. That is in the old testament, so most Christian denominations dropped that rule (along with many others) while sects of Judaism still follow it. It seems to me that a lot of the more devoted groups of religious people around the world grow their hair long as part of their religion. Rastafarian's, Sikhs and Nazirites are the ones I can think of right now..

Anyways, to answer your question, I don't think that a man having long hair is looked down upon by any religion. It's not common for a man to have long hair, but that could easily change. I wouldn't mind if it did.

BrownEyedBeauty
September 5th, 2012, 06:07 AM
I have never heard of long hair being considered a sin and I don't think the length of hair has anything to do with religion. If anything, I always thought that the bible praised long hair.

Some men look better with long hair than others but at the end of the day, we all wear our hair the way we want to and feel most comfortable with or at least, we should.