PDA

View Full Version : Oiling treatment- let's share!

Buffy
August 28th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I'm refering to the method of applying generous amounts of oil on your dry hair and leaving it do it's thing until the next wash- that being in a couple of hours or the next day!

*Do you guys do this?
*Have you noticed it making a real difference in your hair?
*If so, is the difference temporary(meaning,it just feels softer just for the next wash) or is it long-term (meaning if you keep doing it regularly it improves the condition of your hair)
*What oil do you use?
*How do you remove it in the shower?(do you use conditioner to desolve it , or do you wash your hair with shampoo/as usual?)

Please share!! Any positive or negative experiences and details will be helpfull to all of us i think!!

MissAlida
August 28th, 2012, 04:03 AM
I've tried several times oiling my hair either with EVOO or hair oil (its a mixture based on olive oil, but has other oils in it aswell). I usually oiled the night before the day I washed. I say "oiled" because however much I wanted it to work, it never did any difference for me. No change whatsoever in my hair. I now use my hair oil as a leave in after I wash, just a couple of drops. Helps in fighting dry ends. Other than that, if I want to do a deep conditioning treatment I either use my conditioner, or an egg yolk with oil. :)

RubyTuesday
August 28th, 2012, 04:23 AM
I sometimes use oil overnight on my hair (but it makes my pillows very sticky so not ideal) and I sometimes put it in liberally an hour or so before I wash my hair. I have been using Vatika a lot and I like it. I think it definitely makes a difference to my hair but I have not been using it long enough to know if it makes a long term difference yet.

I use oils on my face a lot so after applying I use whatever is left over on my hands and run them through my hair. Last night I applied Rosehip Oil to my face and neck and then put my oily hands through my hair and massaged it in a bit

If I were to do a pre-wash oil and leave it on for just an hour or so I would apply much more oil and really coat my hair. Then in the shower I wash with shampoo and condition. I have not started CO washing yet but plan to do so once my shampoos are used up!

I want to try a lot more oils on my hair. I have also tried Jojoba and Sweet Almond but plan on trying Camellia when I next need some.

The older I get the more I am going back to more natural products and oils are just so good for everything - inside and out!

Plus, Miranda Kerr uses Rosehip Oil, so maybe one morning I will wake up with skin like hers! :D

TiffanieJean
August 28th, 2012, 04:29 AM
. I do this at least once a month. Every other week is what I try to do.

. It has made a huge difference for my hair and scalp. Hair masks are the best thing to ever happen to my hair. They work so well that I have a slight oil addiction now.. lol

. The effects are definitely long term, with some bonus short term benifits as well.

My scalp is dry and when I do a hair mask it retains moisture for a longer period of time. Dryness is a bigger issue in the winter. My hair is a lot stonger and looks very healthy for not having a proper hair cut in a year. I know that the hair masks help my length to keep a lot of it's shine. I love how soft it makes my hair too. Castor oil reduced the amount of shedding I had for months, but I noticed that my hair was getting darker... So I don't use as much of it anymore, whih is a shame because it works so well.

. I use a few different mixes... None of them have set measurements. I just go be what I feel like my hair needs (if my hair is dry I go easy on the Coconut oil or leave it out and use more Jojoba Oil. If My scalp is dry I use extra avocado and Jojoba Oil there too. If I want more shine I use a little extra Castor Oil on the lenght. Etc...)

. I put them in order of the amount I use int he mix -

Jojoba Oil, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Castor Oil, Rosemary Oil and Tea Tree Oil.

. To wash, I use Nioxin. It gets the oil out fast. I normally have to do 1 thurough wash and the a quick one with a tiny bit of shampoo just to make sure everything is out. Then I use my Giovanni Root 66 conditioner, as I normally would.

Sophiatrist
August 28th, 2012, 06:11 AM
I detangle and then fingercomb about a tablespoon of coconut oil through my hair, leave it in for a couple hours and then wash it out with an SLS free shampoo. It take two washes, but I don't need much poo for the second time. If I have oiled before washing it I do not use conditioner.

I have found that it makes a big difference in my particular hair. I have very fine gray hair, sorta 2b I guess, it's entirely virgin (no colors, bleaching or any other treatment) and I use no heat at all. I oil at least once a week and try for twice. Oiling leaves it much softer and less rough feeling.

continuum88
August 28th, 2012, 06:19 AM
i use coconut oil and i try to do deep oiling treatments once a week. I leave it on for a couple of hours or a day or night, depends on whether i have to leave the house for anything important or not. I found that it made a huge difference the first time i oiled my hair but since then i have not been able to get the same result, it dosnt seem to be doing anything, i still do it tho cos it is healthy and i might not see results now but i hope it helps in growing healthy long hair

aquamarine03
August 28th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I swear by coconut oil, it works the best for my fine hair! I put coconut oil on my hair before every wash, I use it as a pre-wash treatment :) I leave it on for 2-3 hours, then shampoo twice with a SLS-free shampoo. I usually don't condition after, because most conditioners really weigh down my hair, plus the coconut oil moisturizes my hair really well. I wash my hair every 3-4 days.
I really like this routine, my hair is extremely moisturized and shiny, even though I flat iron my hair twice a week, this routine keeps my hair healthy :)

PetuniaBlossom
August 28th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I use coconut oil.
Pre-wash, I apply it to slightly dampened hair, massage into my scalp, comb through the length. Then I braid or bun it, and it sits for a few hours or overnight.
Then I CWC: apply conditioner to the length, use diluted shampoo on the scalp, rinse, more conditioner on the length while I do my other showerly things, rinse.
Most times I then do a white vinegar rinse.
A few drops of mineral (baby) oil on the ends when hair is still quite wet.
A few drops of coconut oil on the length when hair is almost dry.
A bit of coconut oil (really, just a drop or two) on my hair each day until the next wash helps keep it soft, shiny, supple.
Really, coconut oil has been the first and most important thing I adopted since I found LHC. My hair is a hundred times better than ever before.

whylime13
August 28th, 2012, 07:30 AM
I recently started using a very small amount of jojoba oil on my length and ends after my hair dries from a wash. Then I usually put my hair up in a french twist or cinnamon bun so the ends can stay tucked in to soak up the oil.

I've noticed my ends are much softer, and tangle less, but it's too soon to see any other changes

I've never done a pre-wash deep oil treatment before, but I want to try soon, gotta do a little more research first

velvetvenus
August 28th, 2012, 07:33 AM
After a few weeks of trial and error with different oils and routines etc I have found out what oiling works best for me;
I use Vatika oil on the lenth of my hair every night and do a full scalp and length oiling the night before a wash. I tend to then either CO or CWC to shower it out using Giovanni or Biolage. I then use the smallest amount of the vatika to finger comb my hair and let it air dry. My hair is the smoothest and silkiest it has ever been on this regime.
I'm interested in just using the oil and then shampooing out to see if the result is as good...
I'd say though that oiling my hair -which I've been doing for 4 months- has transformed it. I love the vatika oil but sometimes I use amla oil. I found EVOO and Argan good but the Vatika is the best I've tried to far although I had to play around to get the amounts right for my hair :)

EndlessSunshine
August 28th, 2012, 08:08 AM
I try to oil my hair once a week for an hour before CO washing. Right now I have a mix of almond, apricot kernel, and grapeseed oil in my hair with some rosemary EO. I sunburned my scalp and I am hoping this mix will sooth it.

DancingQueen
August 28th, 2012, 08:37 AM
I'm refering to the method of applying generous amounts of oil on your dry hair and leaving it do it's thing until the next wash- that being in a couple of hours or the next day!

*Do you guys do this?
*If so, is the difference temporary(meaning,it just feels softer just for the next wash) or is it long-term (meaning if you keep doing it regularly it improves the condition of your hair)
*What oil do you use?
*How do you remove it in the shower?(do you use conditioner to desolve it , or do you wash your hair with shampoo/as usual?)

Please share!! Any positive or negative experiences and details will be helpfull to all of us i think!!

I used to do this when I had more time. I really noticed a difference in my hair, it was softer, shinier and my frizz almost disappeared after the first time (and that is pretty impressive).

I don't know about long-term or short-term, as I did it every time I washed my hair (every 3 or 4 days at the time). I oiled my dry hair at night, braided it, and washed out the next morning. I used castor oil.

I just washed my hair with shampoo (sometimes twice to get it all out), and conditioned as usual. :)

sadia
August 28th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I heavily oil my hair every night. I begin by misting my hair with a solution of vinegar and water (It makes my hair slippery and makes it easier to remove knots) and I used a wide tooth comb to detangle it. Then I apply whatever oil I want to use to my hair, braid my hair, make it into a bun and wrap a plastic bag on it. Keep it on all night long and when I wake up the next morning, it is still on my hair the next day for some time because I am just too lazy to go and wash my hair. But around 11-12 pm the next day, I apply a cheap conditioner like suave on my hair and leave it on for an hour. Then I rinse it out, squeeze as much water as I can out of my hair and tie it up in a bun.

I have used olive oil, coconut oil, mustard oil, vatika coconut oil, canola oil and castor oil in the past. I don't have much of a preference. They all do a fine job in conditioning my hair. These days though, I have been using canola oil. Surprisingly, it makes my hair super soft.

That's it. That's my hair routine.

Does this make my hair soft? Yes, it makes my hair very soft and easy to deal with. It looks healthy as well BUT it doesnt work in a way that you may be thinking that it does. What I mean by that is the oil itself is not going to improve the condition of your hair because it has some magical properties to it. The oil works well to "condition" your hair because of what it PREVENTS. It prevents water from leaving the strands, the oil is greasy and emollient so at the time that the oil is in your hair.. there is less friction there because the hair strands are just slipping against each other. And again, the oil is just emollient.. it sits on your hair strands and conditions it preventing damage rather curing already damaged hair.

It may temporarily improve the appearance of damaged hair but it works best to prevent damage rather than join split ends back together or fix processed hair.

sharonluvscats
August 28th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Right now I'm using Liquid Gold hair oil on my scalp and Olive Oil on my length. I put the LG in 3-4 times a week. I put it in at night and I wash it out with shampoo or conditioner depending what I'm in the mood for. The shampoo is a little easier since I don't have to leave it sitting in like I do with conditioner. I put the Olive oil in pretty much every day to keep my layers in my braids. I've only been doing this for a month so I haven't seen any long term results yet. I do know that my hair is much softer, shinier, and less tangle prone. I used to use coconut oil of place to olive oil at first and my hair was a mess. It became tangled and damaged looking. I'm amazed that it works for so many people when my hair hates it so much. Oh well.

WickedLady
August 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM
i use EVOO with a little castor oil. Just bought rosemary and tea tree oil for extra EO's. I've been using it so long that i cant tell the difference anymore. I just know that my hair likes it and has increased the thickness in each strand. But i only do it becuase i like it :). I usually leave my oil in over night but as i toss and turn at night i feel it does more damage to my already thin hair. I may try to do the leavin for 3 hours and then washing after.

Then i S & C with a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes i will use White Vinegar instead of conditioner for rinse after shampoo.

Simone_Fatale
August 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I actually use a few drops of walnut oil on my ends after washing. It makes my hair much softer and I noticed that it prevents breakage, dryness and split ends. Walnut oil does make hair slightly darker so it's not for everybody.

sharonluvscats
August 28th, 2012, 08:56 AM
i use EVOO with a little castor oil. Just bought rosemary and tea tree oil for extra EO's. I've been using it so long that i cant tell the difference anymore. I just know that my hair likes it and has increased the thickness in each strand. But i only do it becuase i like it :). I usually leave my oil in over night but as i toss and turn at night i feel it does more damage to my already thin hair. I may try to do the leavin for 3 hours and then washing after.

Then i S & C with a gentle shampoo and conditioner. Sometimes i will use White Vinegar instead of conditioner for rinse after shampoo.

I used ACV sometimes. Is there an advantage to using white vinegar instead?

EtherealDoll
August 28th, 2012, 09:11 AM
*I usually oil my hair once a week. Sometimes I oil just the ends.
*It made a great difference for my hair. Shea butter saved my hair after bleaching.
*I do it regularly and my hair is in good condition even though I still dyed it quite a few times and used other lightening methods.
*I use shea butter(mostly on the ends), almond oil, jojoba oil and burdock oil - separately, not all at once.
*I wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner.

WickedLady
August 28th, 2012, 09:20 AM

Nope. Maybe just the smell.

Buffy
August 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Actually Apple cider vinegar, if you use it often, can bring out the red undertones in your hair! So if you don't want that, use white vinegar instead! Blondes especially tend to avoid ACV because in the longrun it can turn their hair brassy ;)
Great answers so far guys!!

sharonluvscats
August 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Actually Apple cider vinegar, if you use it often, can bring out the red undertones in your hair! So if you don't want that, use white vinegar instead! Blondes especially tend to avoid ACV because in the longrun it can turn their hair brassy ;)
Great answers so far guys!!

Oh wow that's good to know because I'm growing out red dye and the LAST thing I want is even more red. Looks like I'll be buying some white vinegar.

HylianGirl
August 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I normally use either coconut oil or olive oil for heavy oilings, and normally do it on the day before washing, but since I wash my hair each other day, I do it like two times a week (not everytime I wash) I don't do it overnight because I am lazy and don't wanna have to change my pillow so often xD If you make and updo you may leave the house with the oil on your hair, and the updo will make it less obvious. I then CO wash, I like it cause it makes my hair really soft and helps my wurls ^-^ I also like to ACV once in a while.

Chimom79
August 28th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Right now I am using coconut oil. I usually apply it well to my dry hair a couple hrs before I wash. Then I wash my hair, concentrating on the scalp. After washing I condition the bottom/ends of my hair with conditioner. That sits on a couple mins, then I rinse. After shower I apply a very small amount of coconut oil or another mixed oil to my tips. Thats about it.

TheWhiteRabbit
August 28th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I am really loving putting a thin coat of coconut oil on my hair and on the ends of my braids. I wash with ACV once a week and that is enough for me to get rid of the oil.

PetuniaBlossom
August 28th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I am really loving putting a thin coat of coconut oil on my hair and on the ends of my braids. I wash with ACV once a week and that is enough for me to get rid of the oil.
Ohmigosh, Whiterabbit, I never heard of washing with vinegar before. Sounds interesting. Can you tell us a little more about it?

KittyBird
August 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Pre wash treatment: I massage a mixture of coconut, castor and tea tree oil on my scalp, and saturate my length and ends with castor and coconut oil. I leave this on overnight and wash it out with shampoo and conditioner in the morning, finishing off with an ACV rinse and a quick rinse with cold water.

Daily treatment: I rub a few drops of coconut oil between my palms and put it on my length and ends. If my scalp feels itchy, I massage it with a tiny bit of coconut, castor and tea tree oil.

This leaves my hair soft, shiny and happy :)

Chanie
August 29th, 2012, 03:40 PM
I do coconutoil over night quite often, and i think is has improven my hairs condition even though it is highly damaged... :) i put shampoo in before i turn on the water, then wash two times with sls free shampoo then rinse with a nice condish, my hair i thick dry and damaged, so i loves a lot of moist :)

Cania
August 29th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Nice idea for a thread! :D

*Do you guys do this?
Before I wash my hair, I slather it in oil, put it up in a bun and leave it alone for as long as possible. Simples!
Oh, definitely. My ends get really dry. I used to use very expensive deep conditioning treatments from a bottle, but oil has completely replaced them in my life! I also get fewer splits when I oil regularly.
Seems to be long term for me :)
*What oil do you use?
EVOO
Depends how much I use. If I have used a LOT of oil, then I use conditioner, then wash with shampoo, then condition again. If I've been a good girl and oiled regularly so only had to use a little, I wash and condition as usual.

battles
August 29th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I try to avoid deep oil treatments. It does make my hair soft, very soft.. but nothing will get it out. :bigeyes: It just sits on top. I stick to SMTs and deep conditioners instead. They wash out very easily and leave my hair looking just as nice.

I do sometimes lightly oil my hair before washing, but my preferred method with oil is just a very light sheen on my hands brushed over the length. It makes it softer and shinier. I do not apply oil on wet hair, or I'll just have to wash again. No matter how much I put on.

I like camellia the most, Vatika coconut second.

jojo
August 31st, 2012, 01:20 AM
I use EVOO once a month and coconut oil every fortnight and I have seen a huge improvement in my hair by doing this. I do these on dry hair and finish off with a SMT , my hair loves it. I also do citric acid rinses as ACV turns my hair reddish.

I also use mineral oil on damp hair which has helped retain moisture.

Ambystoma
August 31st, 2012, 02:52 AM
I've stopped doing heavy oilings since I've discovered my hair only like "stuff" on it if it's an SMT or 'coney condish. I sometimes use EVCO in between cleansing with BS and rinsing with vinegar, but usually I just use MO in place of a 'cone serum.

If my ends feel a little dry between washes I dampen them and add a tiny amount of Sweet Almond oil or EVCO, but too much makes it dull, crunchy and tangly.

I still can't believe I used to spend $30 on a tiny bottle of Kerastase Oleo Relax serum when a huge $1.50 bottle of MO does the same thing for me :o

louzen
August 31st, 2012, 05:49 AM
Hello :) Yes, I do a deep oiling every week and I find the longer I leave the oil on the better! I've been doing this for about 9 months now (prior to that I had never oiled in my life) and it has definitely made a significant long term improvement to my hair - my hair is stronger, thicker and softer and really healthy and shiny :) I will never give up my oilings now, I simply love them :)

I've used quite a few oils - coconut, EVOO, almond, jojoba and emu oil. My absolute favourite is emu oil since it softens and heals my scalp (I have some scalp issues) and makes my hair really soft at the same time. I've also noticed some new hair growth since I've been using it (Thank God!) :cheer:

I've done some experimenting with the amount of time I leave the oil on for. I've found that leaving it on for a couple of hours prior to washing makes no real difference for me. Leaving overnight, does make a difference. But the wow-factor for me is leaving the oil on for more than 24 hours. This is when I see real results. Of course, because my hair is fine and I have deep oiled, this means I can't go out of the house for that amount of time (unless it's winter and I can wear a hat/beret), so I choose a time I know I'll be at home (generally Thursday night to Saturday morning)

To remove the oil, I simply use conditioner only. I put quite a lot on and massage it in really well. I leave it on for about 5-10 minutes, then rinse out. For me, conditioner gets the oil out better than shampoo.

ARG
August 31st, 2012, 09:16 AM
Yes, my hair feels thicker, looks shinier, is stronger, sheds less, and is much more manageable.

Definitely long term; I can skip oilings, and still maintain the luster and manageability. I don't skip the oilings, though, I maintain a routine because I enjoy the difference in my hair so much.

*What oil do you use?
I use a 50:50 mix of coconut and palm, that have rosemary, tea tree, and spearmint EOs.

I maintain my normal shampoo/conditioner routine. I have never noticed a need to change it even when over oiling.

jacqueline101
August 31st, 2012, 11:45 AM
I use my own oil blend and my hair loves it. I also leave it in don't rinse it out.

Suze2012
September 1st, 2012, 05:23 AM
*Do you guys do this?
Yes I do...and have recently remembered to do it more often as I got slack with it.

Yes, when done regularly..when I forget the condition gets less good.

It feels stronger, shinier, more bouncy and less dry - and this is when I forget to do it next time because it feels good - a few weeks of skipped treatments and I realise that I have forgotten to do it.

*What oil do you use?
Just coconut oil - copious amounts once a week.

I co wash but haven't yet been happy with getting it all out with co (and my shower is broken so rinsing in a bath isn't quite so easy) - plus I am wary of getting an itchy scalp and I do find a weekly sulphate free shampoo does my hair good and refreshes it but not harshly.

DinaAG
September 1st, 2012, 06:45 AM
oil itself does not moisturize my hair but it works great as a moisturize sealer after i put my natural moisturizing cream specially on my ends to prevent drying and splitting

spirals
September 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Coconut oil is a small miracle for me. My ends are color-damaged and I am not trimming, only doing S & D. I put in 1 to 2 tablespoons the night before a wash if my hair feels dry and sleep on it. If the ends look really dry, I will dip them directly in the oil and massage in. I do a soap wash, acid rinse, and conditioner. My leave-in has coconut oil, shea butter, and neem oil in it. I sometimes add gel that has castor oil. On non-wash days I run a mixture of coconut, sunflower, and glycerin over the surface to define curls and kill frizz. My curl refresher spray also has glycerin and coconut oil. So it gets several applications a week. My hair is softer and more defined and easier to work with, and my end are not crunchy anymore.

Wildcat Diva
September 2nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
I have been heavy oiling on the weekends. I hope this helps my hair, not sure of the long term effects. I use an oil blend of many oils, some supposed to boost growth rate. I am hoping that at least this oiling is helping my hair and not causing build up problems. I tend to oil heavily during the day, then CO wash in the evening, and it doesn't all come out. So there is a light overnight oiling as well. Then I oil again the next day of the weekend. Saturday and Sunday.

WickedLady
September 4th, 2012, 01:19 PM
*Do you guys do this?
Before I wash my hair, I use Castor Oil/EVOO (will be adding EOs), either put it on my hair and scalp for up to 3 hours and wash it out, or sometimes leave it in overnight depending on how I'm feeling.

Oh, definitely. I have thin hair due to a scalp condition. it plumps my follicles to make a thicker pony tail. All in all even though if it does or doesnt help my hair to grow it still feels good on my scalp. My curly hair seems to get dry and frizzy all the time.

Not sure yet

*What oil do you use?
Castor/EVOO/Tea Tree EO/Rosemary EO

I wash and condition as normal with a fortifying shampoo and conditioner from Garnier Fructis. If i do a CO and then a S&C that would create a hairy mess in my drain. with my scalp condition, the less i mess wiht my hair the better off it is and I dont lose so much hair in the sink, shower, and brush.

I try to use a small amount of oil on my scalp, because it seems to run down my hair strands anyway no matter what i do. So wonder if im doing it right. I part my hair in layers. Use an applicator bottle to apply to scalp and then massage in with the tips of my fingers. I do that all over my head so the entire scalp is covered. By the time its time for a shower my hair is like caked to my head which makes it more stressful to wash without pulling on the hair.

Buffy
September 13th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Love your answers so far guys!! Thank you so much, really helpfull!!!!:):):):)

WickedLady
September 13th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Yes, my hair feels thicker, looks shinier, is stronger, sheds less, and is much more manageable.

Definitely long term; I can skip oilings, and still maintain the luster and manageability. I don't skip the oilings, though, I maintain a routine because I enjoy the difference in my hair so much.

*What oil do you use?
I use a 50:50 mix of coconut and palm, that have rosemary, tea tree, and spearmint EOs.

I maintain my normal shampoo/conditioner routine. I have never noticed a need to change it even when over oiling.

Is this mixture of oil sold on the web or do you make it yourself"?

DancingQueen
September 13th, 2012, 08:44 AM

*Do you guys do this?
*What oil do you use?

I do this with coconut oil (I try to do it before every was - around every 3 days. I really noticed a difference in my hair! I can comb my hair from the top and all the way down the length with no problems. I feels much more voluminous and bouncy, it is very soft and shiny, and I think it actually makes my hair a little more curly (bonus!) :cheese:

I have only been doing it for a few weeks, but I feel like my hair is improving. I still need to put it up on day 3/wash day, but generally it is much better.

I put it on around 2 hours before wash, longer if I can. I wash it out with shampoo as usual. I like to use it twice, just to get the scalp completely clean, but you don't need a whole palmful or anything. Then condition as usual, and let it air dry. :)

whylime13
September 13th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I do this with coconut oil (I try to do it before every was - around every 3 days. I really noticed a difference in my hair! I can comb my hair from the top and all the way down the length with no problems. I feels much more voluminous and bouncy, it is very soft and shiny, and I think it actually makes my hair a little more curly (bonus!) :cheese:

I have only been doing it for a few weeks, but I feel like my hair is improving. I still need to put it up on day 3/wash day, but generally it is much better.

I put it on around 2 hours before wash, longer if I can. I wash it out with shampoo as usual. I like to use it twice, just to get the scalp completely clean, but you don't need a whole palmful or anything. Then condition as usual, and let it air dry. :)

How much coconut oil do you use to cover your hair? I'm going to add it to my routine soon, but I'm not sure how much is too much