PDA

View Full Version : Anti Depressants = Hair Growth?

DebbieCakes
August 28th, 2012, 01:13 AM
I have severe anxiety and depression. I was on lexapro, then zoloft, and now I'm on Effexor and I'm less stressed and happier. I've been on Effexor for about a month.

Anyway, my hair has gone from basically... not growing to a growth spurt. My hair has grown about 3cm since starting Effexor.

Could the Effexor be causing my hair to grow? Or is it because I have less anxiety?

Has anyone else had something similar happen to them?
I did a search on the forums and mostly found anti-depressants either caused no change or even hair loss so I'm just curious.

MinderMutsig
August 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
It could be a side-effect but I think it's more likely that it's because you are less stressed. Feeling better probably also means living better i.e. normal routines and bedtimes, better eating pattern and healthier food etc. and those definitely influence hair growth.

Jorja
August 28th, 2012, 03:12 AM
I agree with MinderMutsig stress and anxiety can affect us physically as well as mentally. I'm glad your hair is growing and that you're happier :) - Welcome to LHC DebbieCakes

MonaMayfair
August 28th, 2012, 05:24 AM
That's a great result, and I think it's probably because you're more relaxed too. As you've discovered, anti depressants are known for causing hair loss in some people (as are lots of other medications) so it's great you've found one that doesn't harm your hair and actually seems to be helping it!
I'm glad you're feeling better!

Audhumla
August 28th, 2012, 07:51 AM
When I took zoloft it affected me most in terms of lowering stress rather than doing anything for the depression. I agree with everyone else. Anti-depressants = less stress = better hair growth and health in general

Stellaaa
August 28th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I gained 30 pounds on effexor. I never noticed hair growth in particular (just general growth of the entire me) but all that increased nutrition is bound to have at least some positive effects :)

SuzQ
August 28th, 2012, 09:23 AM
This is interesting. After I started on Zoloft, I noticed an increase in baby hairs growing in. I have never heard anything about anti-depressants improving hair growth. Maybe it is due to feeling less stressed.
Also, some people don't eat well when depressed and when we feel better we eat better. So, maybe it is due to better nutrition.

HadessThera
August 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I lose hair when I'm stressed so when I'm on an antidepressant that helps manage anxiety I find my hair gets thicker but that's only because less of it is falling out, I find even on antidepressants I can still revert back to losing hair if my stress gets too out of hand anyway so I would say it's more likely due to a lack of anxiety than the effexor, I've been on effexor and didn't notice a change in my hair when I was

spookyghost
August 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
The only thing those medications did for me was to gain weigh-alot of weight. Nothing to my hair:( Im not on them anymore.

Rufflebutt
August 28th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Well, the less anxiety probably has a lot to do with it. When your body is stressed the hormones can cause your body to put more into vital organs than things like hair. Not mention, you can shed or even start prematurely turning grey.

koala
August 28th, 2012, 09:34 PM
When I took zoloft it affected me most in terms of lowering stress rather than doing anything for the depression. I agree with everyone else. Anti-depressants = less stress = better hair growth and health in general

Zoloft did the same thing for me, so I stopped taking it in January without consulting a doctor. Silly me.

It probably is decreasing the stress, likely eating healthier, and probably sleeping better.

katfemme89
August 28th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I'm on effexor, too. Aside from feeling great and gaining 40 pounds, I haven't really noticed any difference in my body, I.E. that my hair grows faster. Then again, I never regularly measured my hair before beginning Effexor, so that's not a scientifically proven opinion. I'm seconding what the others said, and add that stress absolutely wreaks havoc on the body. So being less stressed definitely helps your body.

All I can really say about Effexor is that it totally gave me my life back. In my opinion, it is an excellent medicine. I tried Lexapro and it just made me angry and violent instead of depressed and suicidal. I haven't noticed any of that with Effexor. I am a happy person now.