PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying IS key!

Rufflebutt
August 27th, 2012, 11:14 PM
So, today I was finally fed up with my stringy constantly oily feeling hair and decided to shampoo the whole thing good and well. And I know this seems like a "duh" to most of you more experienced members, but my hair feels SO much better!

I should have done this earlier before I took my senior pictures. Oops. XP

But I'm still pleased that my hair is no longer stringy and gross! It has all of it's volume and body back, and it looks positively gorgeous. I should have listened sooner.

SongofLove
August 28th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Yay for clean, pretty hair :) Good for you!

This happened to me a while back, when I was oiling heavily with coconut oil. I really liked how the coconut oil made my hair really easy to detangle and it always had a wet, "beachy" look. So I put gobs and gobs of it on.

But after a few weeks of this, I got tired of all the oil and wanted my natural texture back. I read in a thread that oil could be removed by putting conditioner on the dry oiled hair, so I did that, and when all the oil was gone, I was sooo happy that my hair felt all fluffy like normal again!

RubyTuesday
August 28th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I clarified my hair a couple of weeks ago using Matrix clarifying shampoo. I could NOT believe the difference it made!! I haven't used a clarifying shampoo in years as I always simply buy moisturising shampoos and never thought I needed to clarify. My hair had so much ooomph! It was all fluffy and big. Amazing.

Wildcat Diva
August 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM
So, today I was finally fed up with my stringy constantly oily feeling hair and decided to shampoo the whole thing good and well. And I know this seems like a "duh" to most of you more experienced members, but my hair feels SO much better!

I should have done this earlier before I took my senior pictures. Oops. XP

But I'm still pleased that my hair is no longer stringy and gross! It has all of it's volume and body back, and it looks positively gorgeous. I should have listened sooner.

So you shampooed, but what did you use to clarify? Did you use a clarifying shampoo, or something else?

spidermom
August 28th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Clarifying cures a variety of hair ills. Most of the time, I don't think you need a special shampoo or baking soda. You just need a more thorough washing than usual. For example, for a regular wash I dilute the shampoo and use it at the scalp. But if I need a deeper clean, I use the same shampoo but don't dilute it and massage the suds from scalp to tips.

lapushka
August 28th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Clarifying cures a variety of hair ills. Most of the time, I don't think you need a special shampoo or baking soda. You just need a more thorough washing than usual. For example, for a regular wash I dilute the shampoo and use it at the scalp. But if I need a deeper clean, I use the same shampoo but don't dilute it and massage the suds from scalp to tips.

Same for me. No special shampoo. Just a sl(e)s shampoo without cones! That's more than enough.

Rufflebutt
August 28th, 2012, 01:20 PM
So you shampooed, but what did you use to clarify? Did you use a clarifying shampoo, or something else?
I used just my normal shampoo, which is tresseme anti-breakage. But it seems to have done the trick just fine. My hair feels a lot better.

Rufflebutt
August 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Clarifying cures a variety of hair ills. Most of the time, I don't think you need a special shampoo or baking soda. You just need a more thorough washing than usual. For example, for a regular wash I dilute the shampoo and use it at the scalp. But if I need a deeper clean, I use the same shampoo but don't dilute it and massage the suds from scalp to tips.That's pretty much what I did. Normally I use a tiny bit for my bangs only but this time I globbed on shampoo onto my entire head of hair. XD

alwayssmiling
August 28th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Same for me. No special shampoo. Just a sl(e)s shampoo without cones! That's more than enough.
Me too. I used to buy pantene clarifying shampoo but realised that I just needed something with sulphates in it to get it really clean. With my usual wash I only use a small amount, on the crown and let the rinse suds cleanse everything else. When I clarify I'm more liberal, and gently massage down to the ends. I then repeat (something I would never normally do). I avoid clarifying with anything that has oils or cones. Something simple. Then a nice heavy conditioner afterwards left on for a little longer than usual. Lovely well behaving hair.

Henrietta
August 28th, 2012, 02:29 PM

I think more or less the same and do more or less the same. When there is a problem that needs clarifying, I use more condensed shampoo. I only use another shampoo (that still is not a typical clarifying one. Just one for oily hair.) when the problem is more serious.
Usually I miss, though, and it turns out that it wasn't about clarifying at all, and I just make my hair dry and irritated :D But, oh, well...
I'm glad it worked for you. It's great when simple things work. At once! :)

Suze2012
August 28th, 2012, 03:07 PM
If I have a mess up..a clarify always works.

I'm using up my Ion from Sally just now but I will get some Neutrogena as it was always nicer and kinder to may hair.

I don't/haven't used Bicaronate of soda yet.

Chanie
August 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM
It sure is amazing!

LuckyH
August 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Clarifying when things are getting limp is such a great feeling! I've been using that clear neutrogena stuff once a month or so....a great pick me up and gentle too!

sharonluvscats
August 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I clarify usually once a week by mixing some baking soda in with my sulfate free shampoo. It works like a charm.