PDA

View Full Version : Making updos less "severe"

Lindseyh
August 27th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Im still working on updo proficiency and with a longish face I end up looking very severe. It borders on old school librarian. Im trying the "poof" favored by some Pentecostal women. It looks wonderful on them and I love it; not so hot on me. I'm at BSL now. Suggestions much appreciated. Bangs maybe ?

Natalia
August 27th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I have the same problem if you dont want to cut a side part hellps some but bangs do the best on me. I ended up growing them out because i couldnt do the upkeep when i developed mny health problems but if i ever feel up to taking care of/styling themagain id do it in a second. You can also add some visual interest at the sides with braids or rolls.

spidermom
August 27th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I would think a pouf would add to the long-face effect.
I've found bangs soften the look of my up-dos quite a lot.

Chromis
August 27th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Embrace it!

I find wearing brighter colours tends to make me still appear approachable, but wearing them in the form of slightly more formal clothing keeps it looking very professional. Also, fun hair toys cancel out "severity"

I don't think bangs are softening at all.

JoieBruce
August 27th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hair toys! They are so many ways to soften your look just by adding a playful hair toy.

RitaPG
August 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Victory rolls! Or pin curls, not sure which one is the appropriate terminology.
Anyway, I do mine exactly like this http://data.whicdn.com/images/18415829/tumblr_lva8q3FgQR1r3uls2o1_500_large.jpg they really soften the hairdo and draw attention away from my massive forehead :p

ETA:
I also like to pin my hair this way, but a little more flat http://data.whicdn.com/images/32707670/409755_393789737352176_2125317501_n_large.jpg if I make the rolls too high, they seem to elongate things even more.

neko_kawaii
August 27th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I find that side buns, real and faux crown braids or maiden braids are less severe. But when I do a style that looks plain and severe from the front but I like the way it looks in the back I remind myself that I have a bright smile and sparkling eyes and no one who actually interacts with me could think me severe.

katfemme89
August 27th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Maybe just try half-ups? I have a very wide face with high cheekbones and when my hair was back with no bangs my face appeared to be the size of the moon. Some side-swept bangs made my face a lot softer, and helped cancel out the wideness. I'm thinking that side swept bangs would also help cancel out the length of the face, too.

Elithia
August 27th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I have a side-part, and when I do updos I keep the hair relatively loose on the sides and don't comb my hair straight back. It probably helps that I have curls, but I've found that if I do buns at the nape of my neck it's possible to keep a very soft look.

Rufflebutt
August 27th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I love my bangs. :) You could try them out and see if they work for you. However, if you don't want the commitment you could try parting your hair to the side and sweeping that over your forehead. It serves the same purpose of bangs.

missannie
August 27th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Hello! I am a newbie and I am sorry but my question does not pertain to this post. I have been trying to post on here and although it lets me post a comment it will not let me post anything else! It keeps telling me I am to short on characters can someonw tell me what I am doing wrong??????? Thank you!

Natalia
August 27th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Hello! I am a newbie and I am sorry but my question does not pertain to this post. I have been trying to post on here and although it lets me post a comment it will not let me post anything else! It keeps telling me I am to short on characters can someonw tell me what I am doing wrong??????? Thank you!

Try pushing the broken paper icon near the search bar if you have internet explorer. I had that and its usually an incompatable browser problem. Check out the site support board there is a thread on it.

kitcatsmeow
August 28th, 2012, 05:10 AM
If you have a few shorter layers o, pull them out around your face to soften it up. Kinda like the bang idea.

MonaMayfair
August 28th, 2012, 05:17 AM
If you have a few shorter layers o, pull them out around your face to soften it up. Kinda like the bang idea.

Yes, face framing layers are the best way to soften pulled back hair, whether it's an undo or a ponytail.

RubySlippers
August 28th, 2012, 05:25 AM
I find that side buns, real and faux crown braids or maiden braids are less severe. But when I do a style that looks plain and severe from the front but I like the way it looks in the back I remind myself that I have a bright smile and sparkling eyes and no one who actually interacts with me could think me severe.

:D I love your attitude!
I am going to take a leaf out of your book.

jacqueline101
August 28th, 2012, 05:29 AM
I like bangs and I'd try them.

palaeoqueen
August 28th, 2012, 05:41 AM
A blunt fringe works best for me. Every now and again I consider growing out because I love the look of one length hair but the difference a fringe makes to my face is incredible.

piratejenny
August 28th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I have a side-part, and when I do updos I keep the hair relatively loose on the sides and don't comb my hair straight back. It probably helps that I have curls, but I've found that if I do buns at the nape of my neck it's possible to keep a very soft look.

I don't have curls but I agree with Elithia on not combing the hair straight back. I try to keep it kind of messy and if I want to be really cool I wear sunglasses on top of my head :cool:. It's not particularly sunny where I live and people have asked me about it. I just tell them I use the glasses as a hair accessory ;)

blondie9912
August 28th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Try making your updos the same as usual, then insert your fingers into the temple-area of your hair (almost as though you're raking your hands through your hair) and pull out some strands/loosen it. It's important that you don't start making your entire updo loose to start off with, because then it will probably fall out sooner.

You can also consider getting some layers, if you don't mind them billowing around your face anytime there is wind :p

Kaelee
August 28th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Long side bangs/face framing bangs. They don't require any styling at all on my hairtype, and I love the look of them. The only upkeep is trimming them every once in a while.

RubySlippers
August 28th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Oh ooh! I jusr thought of one! I'm on the tram and I caught site of my reflection and realised that I do have an answer after all! Dangly earrings!

That's what I do anyway. It's nice to still have something movong around my head even when my hair is up.

Now, back to boring commute!

Fairlight63
August 28th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I also don't like the straight back look on me. What helps for me is to put in a small side part for a little bit of bangs & hides my widows peak that I HATE (just an inch or so back, then comb the rest of the hair back) put on a head band & push it forward a bit, then put my hair in a braid or bun the braid or what ever bun I decide on.
It keeps the shortish hairs out of my face that bug me & also gives me some puff to the front. I also like to pull out a few hairs by my ears & put on long hoop earrings. I have a lot of head bands that give it variety.

Fairlight63
August 28th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sorry for double post!

bluesnowflake
August 28th, 2012, 05:55 PM
I like dangly earrings as a non-hairstyle way to soften things, and I've found having accents like braids etc. that start in the front also helps. If you're doing one that's all pulled back, I usually do it in two sections- top half first and shake/move it around a little to soften it first, and then do the bottom half.

In2wishin
August 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM

Do you have baby hairs around your hairline? Take a brush and lightly brush from the hair to the face to bring them down and let them frame your face.

I see that you are a 2b. Do you use anti-frizz or smoothing products? If so, maybe forego them when you are planning an updo and let more of your natural wave show through. That, plus your baby hairs, should give a softer look.