PDA

View Full Version : Mineral Oils and Co-washing?

frogs
August 27th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hi!
I am a Co-washer and have been for almost a year. The way i learned it, mineral oils are not good and will cause build ups if you are like me a no sulfates, no shampoo and no cone kinda person. But i have been reading forums and articles here on LHC, and all of them have been positive about mineral oils and so i am asking myself, is there a way to make mineral oils and co-washing work together? Are there any co-washers out there who want to share some experiences with mineral oils?
I would be so grateful! :)

akilina
August 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Well, I have not tried personally, but many love just like 2 tiny tiny drops of Mineral Oil in the hair after washing. It helps to hold in moisture.
Maybe Madora will come along and say something about it :)

Madora
August 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mineral oil works best when used alone. But I believe there are a few here who add it to other things.

Please remember to take into consideration that not all combinations will work effectively and may be "at odds" with each other.

I use MO as a conditioner and detangler..but only after I have shampooed.

kitcatsmeow
August 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I'm no cone and no sulfate and use a great bit of MO on damp hair but I do use BS with my shampoo. I've never had problem with build up though! Hope that helps some.

frogs
August 27th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Thank you all so much for your replies! :) I will try to only add a drop to my ends to hold the moisture in after i have washed my hair. If i get a build up i will stop using it! :)

cmg
August 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Thats great. I get buildup nowdays from "anything" after going CO. But thats all right, I just have to stay away from those things. My hair loves being conefree and sulphate free, that has helped it grow longer again.

/ CMG

Siiri
August 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I used mineral oil with CO-washing for a couple of months before switching to oil shampoo. I used two drops on shoulder length hair, applied it on damp hair after washing. The oil seemed to wash out well and it felt softer. I had tried coconut oil as a leave-in with CO before and it didn't work as well as mineral oil. I did clarify my hair every three months (eta: every three WEEKS I meant to say) when I was CO-washing because I got too much build up from the conditioner, but mineral oil didn't seem to add any.

Some baby oils they sell in here (and probably in Sweden too) have some additives that may build up, isopropyl palmitate is one.