PDA

View Full Version : Is Brazilian blowout a swear word here??

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Has anyone had a Brazilian blowout??
I've had mixed reviews, my bestfriend has had it done and loves it but I've also read that even though it has keratin and other vitamins that it can damage the hair.

My hair is extremely dry and frizzy but thinning so I'm not 100% sure it's a great idea for me.

Rufflebutt
August 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I've had a lot of people tell me that it doesn't your hair because it's a protein treatment. But honestly, it alters your strand's structure and doesn't sound healthy in the least.

Oksana
August 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I had 3 Brazilian blow-outs in the past and although I thought they were brilliant at the time, soon extreme damage followed and I had to cut off over 5 inches of hair. Stay away!

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I had 3 Brazilian blow-outs in the past and although I thought they were brilliant at the time, soon extreme damage followed and I had to cut off over 5 inches of hair. Stay away!

She is on her first one, she is planing on having another one in the next few months, I'll see how she gets on with it because she's not the kind of person to listen even if I tell her I think it's bad for the hair long term.
I myself am just looking for a quick fix but I guess there isn't one for my situation.

Madora
August 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
She is on her first one, she is planing on having another one in the next few months, I'll see how she gets on with it because she's not the kind of person to listen even if I tell her I think it's bad for the hair long term.
I myself am just looking for a quick fix but I guess there isn't one for my situation.

There is no such thing as a quick fix for damaged hair. You can have the illusion of healthy hair but the hair is still damaged.

Stay far away from Brazilian Blowouts. Not good for your hair. If you do a search here you'll find more threads.

brave
August 27th, 2012, 09:09 AM
From what I understand (which isn't much) they're not good for your hair. Like rufflebutt says, they alter your strand's structure.

You say your hair is dry and frizzy -- have you looked at conditioner washing at all?

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM
From what I understand (which isn't much) they're not good for your hair. Like rufflebutt says, they alter your strand's structure.

You say your hair is dry and frizzy -- have you looked at conditioner washing at all?

I'm not even sure what that is?? I use conditioner/leave in/masks ect??

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 09:19 AM
There is no such thing as a quick fix for damaged hair. You can have the illusion of healthy hair but the hair is still damaged.

Stay far away from Brazilian Blowouts. Not good for your hair. If you do a search here you'll find more threads.

Illusion is so true - I long for the day where I can just wash my hair and leave it and it looks lovely and soft.

torrilin
August 27th, 2012, 09:20 AM
A Brazilian blow out is a chemical straightening process. It usually uses formaldehyde and it's usually not the healthiest thing you can do for your body, never mind your hair.

Also, pretty much no one who types as 1b/1c is going to be all that interested in a straightening process. For a typical 1b, you can't necessarily see that there's wave in the hair. Some 1c types do have visible wave, but we're talking visible as in can be counted on your fingers still when their hair is past classic.

My general rule of thumb is if you think a straightener is useful, you're not a 1 of any sort.

brave
August 27th, 2012, 09:23 AM
I'm not even sure what that is?? I use conditioner/leave in/masks ect??

Not quite, you eschew shampoo and use conditioner in its place. As far as alternative wash methods go it's one of the easiest to adapt to and loads of people (myself included) have had our hair be much improved by it. With shampoo I have a frizzy mess, with conditioner washing I have a substantially less frizzy mess. It's based off the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey, which you can find pretty much summed up here (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html). We have a huge giant thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) on it that's quite useful, since there are some different methods people use.

/end CO missionary work

edit: Torrilin has a good point. You may be a hidden wavy if you have a serious frizz problem. If you're in the mood for a really quick intro to co-washing, try this alternate hair typing method. (http://healthycurls.net/2011/01/06/quick-and-easy-steps-to-discovering-your-natural-texture/)

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 09:34 AM
A Brazilian blow out is a chemical straightening process. It usually uses formaldehyde and it's usually not the healthiest thing you can do for your body, never mind your hair.

Also, pretty much no one who types as 1b/1c is going to be all that interested in a straightening process. For a typical 1b, you can't necessarily see that there's wave in the hair. Some 1c types do have visible wave, but we're talking visible as in can be counted on your fingers still when their hair is past classic.

My general rule of thumb is if you think a straightener is useful, you're not a 1 of any sort.

Hi torrilin, thanks for your reply, I wasn't too sure what kind of wave I was upon signing up and I couldn't find explanations anywhere so thought that would be about right, however as you say that it's quite straight then I guess I have that wrong as some of my hair (particularly top and middle layers) probably have about 10-15 waves but definitely not curls ans they don't wrap around each other.

I also thought that the Brazilian was also for condition, this was what my friend was told but she did have it done in another country and perhaps they saw her coming.

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Not quite, you eschew shampoo and use conditioner in its place. As far as alternative wash methods go it's one of the easiest to adapt to and loads of people (myself included) have had our hair be much improved by it. With shampoo I have a frizzy mess, with conditioner washing I have a substantially less frizzy mess. It's based off the book Curly Girl by Lorraine Massey, which you can find pretty much summed up here (http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html). We have a huge giant thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2898) on it that's quite useful, since there are some different methods people use.

/end CO missionary work

edit: Torrilin has a good point. You may be a hidden wavy if you have a serious frizz problem. If you're in the mood for a really quick intro to co-washing, try this alternate hair typing method. (http://healthycurls.net/2011/01/06/quick-and-easy-steps-to-discovering-your-natural-texture/)

Thanks brave, I will look into this, I like the idea and am also looking into water only washing. I do believe that all these chemicals are super harsh on my hair and I've seen some amazing transformations in the last few days, I can't see everyone's for some reason but I've seen a few and they've given me so much motivation.

akilina
August 27th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I think of it as more of a swear word to the normal world, not just on here :)
There have been a lot of articles and warnings in the media about this product and the high levels of formaldehyde in it. I guess people were getting really sick and bad headaches and lung problems.
I know there are many many products out there with this "brazilian blow out" name.
Organix even has the Brazilian keratin strengthening line and the serums and cremes for your blow out.

DinaAG
August 27th, 2012, 11:34 AM
i had a chi transformation and it's great on my hair so far as it's formaldehyde free and that's why i dont like the brazilian blowout

HylianGirl
August 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
There is no way something with just vitamins and keratin could alter the hair structure like that, I've seen a news report on youtube warning about how Brazilian blowouts have indeed formaldehyde, and many people lied about the amount of it.

There are many things that are damaging but the people who are trying to sell it to you will lie about it. Ever heard of a certain blowdrier that doesn't damage your hair? Or a flat iron that "seals in the moisture"? All lies to sell people products that are actually damaging, don't listen to them, because in the long run you'll see the unfortunate results....

I definatelly recommend CO washing, I've been doing it for months and I have no desire on going back to shampoo, you shoud try it ^-^ Also, formaldehyde has detroyed my hair in the past, I had to cut my waist length hair back to shoulder because of that =( Learn how to take care of your natural texture and you'll learn that your hair is less time consuming than you thought ^-^

palaeoqueen
August 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I had one done early last year, my hair isn't even all that wavy but it seriously wasn't worth it. And now my hair is pretty much ruined and it's just occurred to me that the worst bits (the last 3") corresponds to hair that would have been treated with the Brazilian blow dry. Hmmm...

Does anyone know whether the protein overload problems I have now could be at all connected to the keratin used in the brazilian blowdry process?

Maelyssa
August 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
My teenage daughter was just at her yearly doctor exam and the doctor heard that she wanted to try a blowout and did the doctor yell at her!

Her doctor told her that she has seen many many girls and women come in her office from this treatment as well as other heat and chemical treatments with bald spots, thinning and severe breakage. She told my daughter that unless she wants to take the risk of ruining her hair so bad that it may need to be shaved off to start fresh to LEAVE it alone and treat her hair well and accept her natural hair.

That is one medical doctors opinion. I happen to agree with it. But if you p're willing to take some risks...have fun. Hair can always grow back. Good luck!

torrilin
August 27th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Hi torrilin, thanks for your reply, I wasn't too sure what kind of wave I was upon signing up and I couldn't find explanations anywhere so thought that would be about right, however as you say that it's quite straight then I guess I have that wrong as some of my hair (particularly top and middle layers) probably have about 10-15 waves but definitely not curls ans they don't wrap around each other.

I also thought that the Brazilian was also for condition, this was what my friend was told but she did have it done in another country and perhaps they saw her coming.

The Visual hair typing guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=227) is in articles. The basic procedure is you wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo, and DO NOT TOUCH. This gives you a starting point for your hair type. Not an end point, just a start. Unless you've always been super nice to your hair, IN YOUR HAIR'S OPINION... chances are your hair is somewhat dry, somewhat damaged, and even after a clarifying wash will show as straighter than your genes might permit.

Pretty much no one gets their hair type right at first, so don't feel bad.

1s are straight hair. I'm a 1c, so I'm about as wavy as it's possible to be and still look straight. Where you see other posters in this thread talking about the curly hair care methods... If *I* do those, I can sometimes get waves that are aaaaaaaaalmost wavy enough to count as 2a. Sometimes it might even last for more than an hour if I don't move or breathe too much! Mostly tho, using a curl friendly care method gives me very sleek straight hair. If you wish curling irons actually worked, you are probably a 1. (it is not uncommon for 1s to have problems with curling iron curls and perms falling out)

2s are wavy hair. As a general rule of thumb, if you've used a straightener and found it a helpful styling tool, you're at least a 2. If you feel like you can never get a good hair cut because your hair has lots of flicks or cowlicks... you're probably a 2.

3s are curly hair. We'll occasionally have short haired people popping on to insist their hair is straight as long as it doesn't get "too long" and wondering how they can make their hair "grow nice". Or someone will pop on complaining about how frizzy their "wavy" hair is.

Actual wavy and curly folks can probably tell you even more tells... I know *some* since my partner's family is fully of curlies, but not lots.

4s are super curlies. Most of the time, you know it if you've got it. It's pretty unusual to find a 4 in denial, kind of like how actual 1s tend to be pretty confused about why people buy straighteners.

The letters that go after the type are meant to help us judge whether you're more at one end of the spectrum or the other. Since you're mentioning having 10-15 waves even tho you don't do much to encourage them, and your hair is fairly short I'd figure you're a solid 2 of some kind, maybe a 3. (my sister-in-law was for the longest time convinced that she merely had frizzy wavy hair... then she met me and saw actual straight hair in action and started actually talking hair care with her brother)

Oh, and no one ACTUALLY has all one type of hair on their head. I do have spots where if encouraged, my hair is more a 3b, and there are individual hairs that are flat out 4 something. The reason I type as a 1 is because when you're talking "well, sometimes I can find that one type 4 hair" there's no way you're a 4. And a real 3b does not have 2-3 curls in her hairline, and no other curls. Nothing natural is uniform, so you're looking for something that describes the overall appearance.

hermosamendoza
August 28th, 2012, 09:19 PM
if the stylist has to wear a mask while performing the brazilian blowout I would stear clear. My sister is a stylist and told me depend on your hair type it can take up to 5 hours in the chair and she and the lady has to wear a mask the whole time!

dawnss
August 29th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Maybe it is because I used the Organix treatment, but I did not have serious damage like many of you are talking about. For anyone considering a bkt, please do your research. Now I will tell you this much (for me), I will admit that I have parts of my hair that are heat damaged (they were heat damaged before the blow out though), overall though my hair is still curly, my bkt washed out in 30 days. Minus, the heat damaged parts (those parts of my hair remain straight).

One thing that I really liked was that the Organix treatment contained Kertain (which is a serious protein) so it really helped strengthen my hair, which lead to less breakage while my hair was wet and detangled.

Obviously, the heat and fumes are no fun (or "good"), to each his/her own though. I will admit that I am biased though I do not like that it is automatically considered a bad thing to use heat on many hair forums, now I will concede that bkt's require loads of heat. However, I am having some issues with doing my hair because of a potential neurological condition (honestly, I care more about using my hands for more important things than my hair), so for me the bkt really helped me have more manageable hair for almost 30 days and I had less breakage.

To anyone consider getting one, watch youtube application videos on it and do your own research. There have been testimonials that I have read and seen on Youtube that state that fumes occurred with the Organix BKT treatment, because the individual used too much of the treatment. So please look into things as non biased as you can and really know what is best for you.

I should probably have a disclaimer that stated this earlier but my reply is not meant to offend anyone, or discredit the issues with BKT's that people have had. I just want to remind everyone that we all have various options: I know when I started a post on disabilities and haircare someone said that she flat ironed every week (while flat ironing may not be the best for peoples' hair, the user realized that it was the best for her). Sometimes we all need to just do what works for us and leave everything else behind.

Also, hair is important but for me using my hands to write or type this post up or pick up something carries much more value for me.

I just want to offer a different perspective. So while I concede that they are not good, if anyone is seriously considering them, then please do your research.

lapushka
August 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
However, I am having some issues with doing my hair because of a potential neurological condition (honestly, I care more about using my hands for more important things than my hair), so for me the bkt really helped me have more manageable hair for almost 30 days and I had less breakage.

Same with a perm for me. I had my hair permed because it was easier to manage that way. It's far easier to have permed curly hair taken care of than dealing with my own texture. That perm lasted me for two and a half years, and it was *so* worth it. I had damage from it, though, but still... it was *so* worth it!

I should probably have a disclaimer that stated this earlier but my reply is not meant to offend anyone, or discredit the issues with BKT's that people have had. I just want to remind everyone that we all have various options: I know when I started a post on disabilities and haircare someone said that she flat ironed every week (while flat ironing may not be the best for peoples' hair, the user realized that it was the best for her). Sometimes we all need to just do what works for us and leave everything else behind.

Also, hair is important but for me using my hands to write or type this post up or pick up something carries much more value for me.

I just want to offer a different perspective. So while I concede that they are not good, if anyone is seriously considering them, then please do your research.

Well said!

Although, I have to admit, the fact that we're talking about dealing with fumes and masks creeps me the heck out!

mzBANGBANG
August 29th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Perhaps to you it is silly for someone with 1b hair to want their hair any straighter, however 1's can have weird "bumps" to their hair. The extremely flat hair look is very popular. I just found this comment pretentious. Of course you can be a 1 and find a flat iron useful.

maborosi
August 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM
I've heard that there is formaldehyde in these kinds of treatments, which is kind of scary.

That said, I think I've known one or two people who got this sort of thing done.

~maborosi~

lapushka
August 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Just found this on YT (of course she doesn't talk about the bad stuff, only what it means to her):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATCeEck_UU8

dawnss
August 30th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Same with a perm for me. I had my hair permed because it was easier to manage that way. It's far easier to have permed curly hair taken care of than dealing with my own texture. That perm lasted me for two and a half years, and it was *so* worth it. I had damage from it, though, but still... it was *so* worth it!

Well said!

Although, I have to admit, the fact that we're talking about dealing with fumes and masks creeps me the heck out!

Thanks Lapushka! I thought I was going to be stoned for what I said lol. I really think that it is a personal choice and that for some people it really goes far beyond personal appearance. If anyone is reading this is considering any type of potential hair style (relaxer, perm, bkt that involves heat damage, and etc) then really ask yourself why you are doing it? Yes many of us want beautiful hair, but not everyone can really devote the time to it and for some people they use methods that others deem harmful and unnecessary.

Yes the fumes are creepy lol! But I have had relaxers and a few scalp scabs so I guess I have kind of been through it with my hair lol. Like I said, some users claim that if fumes are seen then the user has applied too much of the organix treatment, which is a fault of the user and not the product itself. It would be akin to blaiming the hair straightener for damaging someone's hair when if they used a temperature for their hair type, used a well made heat protectant, deep conditioned their hair so that it was moisturized and elastic, and made sure to take care of it in general. Sorry, I think that quite a few of the hair mistakes we make are on us. Yes straighteners can fry individual's hair, but there is a proper way to use heat tools.

Remember to educate yourself and to then make an informed decision, question why you do the things you do, and then decide the best course of action.

Oksana
August 30th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know whether the protein overload problems I have now could be at all connected to the keratin used in the brazilian blowdry process?

Possibly... My hair absolutely detests any product with protein and I never used to have this problem prior to the brazilian blowout :hmm:

dawnss
August 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I had one done early last year, my hair isn't even all that wavy but it seriously wasn't worth it. And now my hair is pretty much ruined and it's just occurred to me that the worst bits (the last 3") corresponds to hair that would have been treated with the Brazilian blow dry. Hmmm...

That would make sense, Keratin is a very strong protein. I am thinking that because I hardly ever use protein and because I only detangle my hair when it is wet or at least damp, my hair (besides the heat damage) really benefited from the extra protein (I had less breakage). Paleaeoqueen you may have hair that is very protein sensitive.

palaeoqueen
August 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Possibly... My hair absolutely detests any product with protein and I never used to have this problem prior to the brazilian blowout :hmm:

Interesting... I did a quick google and there does seem to be a link (only anecdotal to be fair but still interesting). I calculated that it would be the bottom 3-4" of hair that would have been through the Brazilian treatment and they correspond exactly to the worst damaged bits. I can't wait to chop these few inches off.

That would make sense, Keratin is a very strong protein. I am thinking that because I hardly ever use protein and because I only detangle my hair when it is wet or at least damp, my hair (besides the heat damage) really benefited from the extra protein (I had less breakage). Paleaeoqueen you may have hair that is very protein sensitive.

It never used to be though, I can no longer use a coconut oil conditioner that I used to love as my hair freaks out and goes even drier and more splitty. And considering how bleached it is/was you would think it needed more protein not less. I have never in my life done protein treatments either, I didn't know what they were before LHC.

dawnss
August 30th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Interesting... I did a quick google and there does seem to be a link (only anecdotal to be fair but still interesting). I calculated that it would be the bottom 3-4" of hair that would have been through the Brazilian treatment and they correspond exactly to the worst damaged bits. I can't wait to chop these few inches off.

It never used to be though, I can no longer use a coconut oil conditioner that I used to love as my hair freaks out and goes even drier and more splitty. And considering how bleached it is/was you would think it needed more protein not less. I have never in my life done protein treatments either, I didn't know what they were before LHC.

Have you checked into hair prosity, I can't properly explain it but I think bleaching and the bkt threw off your hair's prosity. Like I said Keratin is a very strong protein, so while bleached and heat styled hair needs structure it needs moisture as well. It sounds like you don't have enough moisture in your hair. Or you have protein overload, either way protein products (especially really hard proteins) need to be followed up with a moisturizing treatment. Bleached hair will need protein up to a point, I think though that it will probably need more moisture than protein. Maybe I am wrong. Play around with moisturizing your hair and then play with coconut oil. It could be that your processed hair does not like coconut oil.

I know that my relaxed hair and natural hair do not like the same products. In fact my natural hair (at times) is even drier than my relaxed hair.

knhess
August 30th, 2012, 10:19 PM
I've had a brazilian blowout three times so far! I loved it and experienced no side effects whatsoever. My hair never turned dry or was damaged. Just stayed straight and smooth. The only downside for me is the price!!

The keratin treatment did not react well with my hair however. That caused my hair to become dry and brittle.

Rufflebutt
August 30th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Perhaps to you it is silly for someone with 1b hair to want their hair any straighter, however 1's can have weird "bumps" to their hair. The extremely flat hair look is very popular. I just found this comment pretentious. Of course you can be a 1 and find a flat iron useful. Well said! I have lb/c hair and I used to flat iron all of the time to get rid of my awkward bumps and flicks that my hair does. I also used to emulate the "scene hair" kind of style and so your hair needs to be stick straight to the extreme.

Allychan
August 31st, 2012, 02:16 AM
Wow can't believe people still want to do this to their hair. Take a look at my hair album and see the damage this treatment did to my hair. The scary thing is i had it done three times, thinking i was improving my hair not realising i was in fact making it worse. Sadly your friend wont listen, like me, you have to reap the destruction first hand sometimes before you realise.

palaeoqueen
August 31st, 2012, 04:08 AM
Have you checked into hair prosity, I can't properly explain it but I think bleaching and the bkt threw off your hair's prosity. Like I said Keratin is a very strong protein, so while bleached and heat styled hair needs structure it needs moisture as well. It sounds like you don't have enough moisture in your hair. Or you have protein overload, either way protein products (especially really hard proteins) need to be followed up with a moisturizing treatment. Bleached hair will need protein up to a point, I think though that it will probably need more moisture than protein. Maybe I am wrong. Play around with moisturizing your hair and then play with coconut oil. It could be that your processed hair does not like coconut oil.

I know that my relaxed hair and natural hair do not like the same products. In fact my natural hair (at times) is even drier than my relaxed hair.

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I already know the problems with my hair ie. I get protein overload very easily and struggle to keep moisture in my hair. I was just wondering whether the Brazilian Keratin treatment was the cause as my hair has been bleached and over-processed for years but never had protein overload problems until I had the BKT.

MrsGuther
August 31st, 2012, 07:56 AM
Brazilian blowouts are NOT good for your hair. At all!

dawnss
August 31st, 2012, 09:04 PM
Sorry I wasn't very clear, I already know the problems with my hair ie. I get protein overload very easily and struggle to keep moisture in my hair. I was just wondering whether the Brazilian Keratin treatment was the cause as my hair has been bleached and over-processed for years but never had protein overload problems until I had the BKT.

It sounds like that's what caused your protein overload issues, and please excuse me for not understanding you well enough. Like I said though, Keratin is similiar to the hair's structure so it makes sense why it would cause an overload lol. I will admit though, my hair really liked the extra keratin, detangling for me meant less hair coming out.

To each their own though, in all honesty though I would do the bkt again. I would just not pass the flat iron through my hair as much and I will make sure that I find a crazy moisturizing deep conditioner because my natural hair is super dry and it takes way too much heat to make it look silky when it is straight. The funny thing though, is that all of the problems with applying the bkt are my fault lol.

I just realized something yes your hair may have protein overload, but I think that it's porosity may be off and that's really causing your problems because of the bleaching and bkt. Struggling to keep your hair moisturized isn't so much a problem of protein overload it is a problem of certain processes that strip away your hair's cuticle and cortex. In other words, your hair probably doesn't have the protective layers that it needs so it lets moisture right out as soon as it goes in. I do not know if we can post link in our posts, so if you want to pm you can and I can send you more articles in depth about this issue.

AutumnLocks
September 3rd, 2012, 10:19 AM
To me it just sounds like it's unhealthy for hair. I'm just thinking of a Brazilian wax....:O no way I'd do something like to any part of me...lol

palaeoqueen
September 3rd, 2012, 11:58 AM
It sounds like that's what caused your protein overload issues, and please excuse me for not understanding you well enough. Like I said though, Keratin is similiar to the hair's structure so it makes sense why it would cause an overload lol. I will admit though, my hair really liked the extra keratin, detangling for me meant less hair coming out.

To each their own though, in all honesty though I would do the bkt again. I would just not pass the flat iron through my hair as much and I will make sure that I find a crazy moisturizing deep conditioner because my natural hair is super dry and it takes way too much heat to make it look silky when it is straight. The funny thing though, is that all of the problems with applying the bkt are my fault lol.

I just realized something yes your hair may have protein overload, but I think that it's porosity may be off and that's really causing your problems because of the bleaching and bkt. Struggling to keep your hair moisturized isn't so much a problem of protein overload it is a problem of certain processes that strip away your hair's cuticle and cortex. In other words, your hair probably doesn't have the protective layers that it needs so it lets moisture right out as soon as it goes in. I do not know if we can post link in our posts, so if you want to pm you can and I can send you more articles in depth about this issue.

Please do, I'm always grateful for any info that might help me sort out the insane mess that is currently masquerading as my hair! :)

dawnss
September 4th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I really do think that with anything else, it all comes down to the individual if he or she is dedicated to maintaining their hair's health, then I think that the BKT can work for them.

Red_85
January 14th, 2018, 01:55 AM
I love mine, I've never had silky hair until now. My hair has always been coarse and frizzy but not I just enjoy stroking it!

Had two so far. make sure it is the official Brazilian Blowout and not the cheap imitation ones.

Wendyp
January 14th, 2018, 03:18 PM
I have been doing aveda keratin express and it’s realky helped my fine hair a lot. I’m hoping to wean down now that it’s heathy and I’m doing cassia for color instead of aveda color.

*Wednesday*
January 15th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I work with a girl who has a short bob, past her ears. She has very curly hair and in April, had a BBO. It lasted a few months and looked nice. She had another one this past Dec. After the second go around, the ends of her hair are very dry and she had to get it cut back. The ends of her hair look unhealthy now after the second go around. I’m pretty sure at this point it is accumulative damage. If she gets another one, I’m sure will look worse. Yes, she had THE Brazilian Blowout by a licensed beautician trained to do them. She also used the BBO product line to maintain. Not for nothing, it’s chemicals and heat to make it straight.

I personally would not consider one. Just my opinion, but I think if you are seriously attempting to grow very long and healthy (or cherish the long locks you have) hair past WL, not a very good idea at least to me. People either have a good experience or they don’t. The ones that don’t results in hair damage and I’ve been reading many of those and seen for myself (girl in work). She was upset she had to trim it.

We’ll….gee. Formaldehyde and flat irons…what does one expect?

2gaits
January 15th, 2018, 10:12 AM
I have no personal experience with them but my sister gets them. I think about every three to four months. She feels her hair is better with them and has grown longer because of them. Her hair is longer than bsl. Part of how it helps her is she actually uses less heat daily with the Brazilian. She has a lot of gray that is a wiry mess to smooth according to her. She flatirons less. She usually blow dries and touches up with a flat iron daily and colors every four or five weeks to cover gray.
I guess it just depends on the person. I won't be getting Brazilians and I am thinking of going natural with my color. That is something my sister will probably never do.