PDA

View Full Version : To cut or not to cut

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 05:42 AM
My hair used to be waist length and I cut about 8 inches off to make it bsl, its now growing back (slowly, so slowly) should I trim as its getting ratty already and keep losing some length or leave it to grow back to waist, i ideally want it classic (if i can muster that much patience) and then have a bigger trim??

kitekats
August 27th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Maybe get a microtrim every 1-2 months, and oil the roots, that should help.

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Are you measuring your true waist, or where your jeans come up to? Of course everyone's torso's are different but waist is your smallest part which is normally around 4 inches from BSL (give or take an inch). I suspect you may be talking about hip?

In any case, if it's looking ratty so that you think it doesn't look as nice as it could, then yes, I would trim. If you are mostly wearing it up, or it looks fine, I would leave it. Do you have splits?

If you do trim I would be very specific about the amount you want taken off or else do it yourself (Feye's method).

Let us know what you decide.

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the replies, quite right, I did mean hip, new to TLHC and not sure on all the abbreviations and terms yet.

Problem is where my hair used to grow quite quickly it's slowed down so much that it's gets so ratty between trims because I so badly don't want to lose length. But on the other hand I don't want ratty ends. I guess I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I def think micro trims would be the best option for me.

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Also what is feyes method??

palaeoqueen
August 27th, 2012, 05:56 AM
Definitely microtrim, you could start with a slightly bigger cut (0.5"-1") if you think it needs it, then do smaller trims each month until it's looking healthier

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 06:10 AM
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I've never actually tried it but it has great reviews and gives you total control over the amount you are trimming. If you are game, it could be perfect for you.

Shouldalistened
August 27th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Wow thanks julliams, I'm def going to try this, now to decide, U shape or Straight across.

julliams
August 27th, 2012, 06:32 AM
It's obvious I know, but just make sure you have good hair scissors that have only been used to cut hair. The last thing you want is splits because of blunt scissors.

BrownEyedBeauty
September 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I would trim it a bit and start wearing it up more. It sounds as if this would help you a lot in preventing excessive damage and you would probably be able to go longer between trims so that you would end up with more healthy growth.

I did not wear my hair up a lot until I joined the LHC and discovered the benefits. My hair is looking healthier now. So I suggest you trim it a little, condition it and wear it up a lot. Hope this helps! Good luck!

spidermom
September 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Tiny trims about every 3 months; cut no more than half your growth for that time period.

jacqueline101
September 4th, 2012, 11:41 AM
If its no longer desirable to have it that long due to ratty appearance I'd trim but trim a little maybe a micro trim or the most half inch.

FrannyG
September 5th, 2012, 05:01 AM
With most of the 1 hairtypes, uneven ends are very obvious. For that reason I trim about 1/2 of an inch (2cm) every three or four months. My hair still grows, but I get rid of the longest growing hairs, and I keep my hemline as full and thick as possible.

I use Feye's self-trim. I never thought I'd be able to do it, but I have been trimming my own hair for over 6 years now (and even did a couple of large cuts, when necessary--long story).

Some people can get away with no trims, but I think that those of us with straighter hair are often happier with our hair when we have small, regular trims.

Arakazi
September 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

I've never actually tried it but it has great reviews and gives you total control over the amount you are trimming. If you are game, it could be perfect for you.

Thank you for this link Julliams! I will be using it when I do a wee trim this week or next :D